HOWTO run ANDROID on X1

Search This thread

katinsh

Mar 21, 2009
Riga
www.meitenes24.lv
W-lan modules

4. Download wlan-modules, as they must match the kernel-image, get them from here. That gives you wlan-modules.zip.
5. Extract wlan-modules.zip to get modules-2.6.27-00974-gbb90acc-dirty.tar.gz. This archive contains the wlan modules. Do not extract this. Simply put this on the root of your sd-card. On android startup this file will be extracted on the modules copied for you.

I need to delete exciting modules first?
Or I need 2 modules on my sd card?

Thanks ;)

dawen

Nov 13, 2008
It seems that your sd-card has no partition. If you use linux, you can check this very easy. On windows, you can try to reformat the card.

You can also try another card.

i try reformat the card many times win windows, still same error, how can u create a parition? or i have to try a different sd card?

dawen

Nov 13, 2008
i try reformat the card many times win windows, still same error, how can u create a parition? or i have to try a different sd card?

nvm, i got it to working parition with hp boot utility, now andriod boots up to welcome screen....cheers.... ok the problem is now my 8gb card now its onl 4gb card, and it saids 4gb unallocated spaces, how do i create another patition with that? can u do that in android?

nvm got everything sort out

Last edited:

SiRIus[X]

May 23, 2009
ok, i did what was instructed and instead of getting the Android start-up screen, i'm getting a blank black screen :(

alkatheri

Mar 24, 2010
Thank you!

Everything is running good apart from the screenlight, it never go off!

when i pree the hangup button it goes to black, but there is light still in the screen and it cause the screen to be very hot!!!

and the battray gone so fast!

and how can i change the phone to be not silent! it seems the only option i have to silent!

if you can fix these problems. everything will be perfect!

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
I need to delete exciting modules first?
Or I need 2 modules on my sd card?

Thanks ;)

The startup script does look for a specific filename that matches the kernel-version. You do not need to delete the modules. In fact, it might be better to keep them as you can go back to an older kernel and the script then uses the older modules.

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
nvm, i got it to working parition with hp boot utility, now andriod boots up to welcome screen....cheers.... ok the problem is now my 8gb card now its onl 4gb card, and it saids 4gb unallocated spaces, how do i create another patition with that? can u do that in android?

nvm got everything sort out

Windows does not willingly support partitioning on sd-cards, only by using black magic ;). So it would be very helpful, if you post your solution for this. You can also pm me, then i will add it to the first post.

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
ok, i did what was instructed and instead of getting the Android start-up screen, i'm getting a blank black screen :(

How far do you get?
-progress bar in haret.exe?
-scrolling small text?
-animated X?

next would be Android. Tried to press the power button? Maybe your device entered sleepmode to fast.

Freak174

Feb 6, 2010
Seems to be working perfect, though I had to start wlan through the phone from the beginning.
However, I do have a question about the keyboard. Is there any possibility to change the language to swedish? so I can write with åäö
Yours,

vdelf

Dec 16, 2008
just added step 5 to first post. Remove mem=102m from startup.txt and android will use 182m instead of 102m. Speed improves alot! My thanks to hotlein (his post)

Djd10

Apr 23, 2008
LDN
I was jus' wondering whether the installation/flashing of Android on the Xperia is safe basically, or if known/general problems occur, and if you yourself "Vdelf" have used an Xperia to do so. Either way, the effort is GREATLY APPRECIATED, cause my last phone was a G1 and I think the Android OS is the best out there, and am missing it. Thanks

dexteral

Aug 23, 2009
does anyone know if the ringtone is workin, any method to make it work. or any eta when it will work

dawen

Nov 13, 2008
Windows does not willingly support partitioning on sd-cards, only by using black magic ;). So it would be very helpful, if you post your solution for this. You can also pm me, then i will add it to the first post.

what i did was i use paragon partition manager free version to deleted the partition on the sd card, then i use windows to create a parition for the unallocated space, fat32 cluster size 32k, and voila, it works after i copy all file to root of card, it boots up android, and i get to keep all 8gb in 1 parition

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread puts all the necessary steps together for sucessfully run the Android-release from THIS thread on the X1. Since many seem to have problems with that this may become handy :)

So lets get started!

What you need:
    - latest XPEROID-release, fatsal-xperoid-20100221.7z, get it here
    - 7zip to extract it, get it here
    - sd-card, using fat32-filesystem with 500MB free space

What you need to do with it:
    1. Extract fatsal-xperoid-20100221.7z on your computer. This will give you the following files:
    - calibration, wlan-firmware
    - haret.exe, runs the linux-kernel and android
    - initrd.gz, initial ramdisk, needed for linux to boot (phase one)
    - modules-2.6.27-00888-g339bdfc-dirty.tar.gz, linux- and android-driver for wlan
    - rootfs.img, contains files needed for linux to continue boot (phase two)
    - STARTUP.TXT, contains the parameter for haret.exe and boot-options for linux-kernel
    - system.sqsh, contains all android system files
    - zImage, contains the linux-kernel
    - conf/*.user.conf, configuration files for android
    - AndroidApps/*.apk, applications for android, installed during boot

2. Delete all the *.apk-files from the AndroidApps-directory. They are not needed for running android. You should keep the directory, just delete all files in it.

3. Download some essential android apps here, you will get essential_apps.zip. Extract it and put the apk-files into the AndroidApps/ folder.

4. go to conf/ and delete eclair.user.conf, then rename eclair.user.conf~ to eclair.user.conf. That will disable the swapfile.

5. open startup.txt and remove the mem-option mem=102M. This was suggested by hotlein here. That will increase the memory from 102m to 182M and improve android speed alot.

6. Copy all files and directories to the root of your sd-card. Do not create any directory, just copy them to the blank sd-card.

7. Put the sd-card in your phone if not already done. On the X1 open the sd-card and run haret.exe. You will get alot text running across the screen. During the boot-process, one file is created.
    - data.img (256M). This file contains all the files normaly stored on the android-phone. Your settings, Applications, media, etc. You can always delete this file to reset android. It will be recreated.

First boot takes a while to complete, so be patient. Finally you should get the android welcome screen. Follow the on-screen-instructions and you are done!

Changing some settings
    - IMPORTANT: Disable GPS in settings -> location & security -> Use GPS satellites, because it will hang the device!
    - Turn off locks screen when holding red call button. Spare parts -> End button behaviour -> Nothing. That will simplify the shutdown procedure. Credits go to Reversedhex: Post

Now let's stop android
    1. Press and hold the end-call-key. The phone starts to vibrate like crazy, ignore that.
    2. After a few seconds a menu pops up. Dont release the button yet, keep holding it! If you changed end button behaviour, you can release it now.
    3. Press down on the digi-pad. You may press it three times to go to the shutdown-option.
    4. Now you can release the end-call-key. If you do not hold it, you will end up in the android lock screen.
    5. Select shutdown option and confirm. Then android shuts down.

If you try another kernel-image (that is replacing zImage), the system may lock up during shutdown. Then you have to soft-reset your phone. But you should always try to shut android down.

Now you can update the linux-kernel:
    1. Download the kernel-image, get the latest here. That gives you zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip.
    2. Extract zImage_kovsky_20100325.zip to get zImage. This is the linux kernel.
    3. Copy zImage to the root of your sd-card. You should always back up your existing zImage so you can go back.
    4. Download wlan-modules, as they must match the kernel-image, get them from here. That gives you wlan-modules_20100325.zip.
    5. Extract wlan-modules_20100325.zip to get modules-2.6.27-01006-ga30aafa-dirty.tar.gz. This archive contains the wlan modules. Do not extract this. Simply put this on the root of your sd-card. On android startup this file will be extracted on the modules copied for you.

As suggestet by angusmcb (post), i used for the latest kernel the latest cross-compiler.

Latest kernel from xdadev-repos with backlight control and correct battery readout, get it here. The archive also contains matching wlan-modules.

Troubleshooting
    Q. Android will not boot
    A1. check if all needed files are present
    A2. check if you have enough free space on card. Android creates two big files during first boot, so you will need at least 384M free space.
    A3. you can try to delete data.img and swapfile to reset android. This helps if you messed up settings in android.

Q. Wlan wont start
    A1. check if file calibration on sd-card-root
    A2. check if file modules-*.tar.gz matches kernel-image
    A3. you may try to enable wlan in windows mobile before running haret.exe

Q. How to stop android from using data connection
    A. go to settings -> wireless & networks -> mobile networks -> access point names and delete all apn-settings

Q. Android-screen is upside-down
    A. Slide out keyboard -> android switches to landscape. Then slide keyboard in -> android switches to correct portrait.

Q. I have no ringtones
    A1. Put the ringtones in the MEDIA\AUDIO\ringtones folder (post, post for folder structure)
    A2. Take a look at this post. Some characters make the android media scanner crash.

Q. I can not enter pipe-symbol. Where to find keymaping
    A1. Press function key, followed by shift key, followed by commer key (right hand side of space bar) (linuxtux post)
    A2. For keymapping in general take a look here. That is the default android keymapping.

Q. I want live wallpapers
    A. Here you go. But be prepared for performance loss.

Q. I can not send SMS
    A. Check this post by jimipoh. It might help.

Done for today :)
    Can't run phone

I followed the steps, and android runs now. But when android is started you must enter the pin code. When I enter my code it says that it is incorrect, how can i fix this out?