recovery 3e modified to work like recovery 2e - Updated 01/23/2011

Search This thread

zapote21

Aug 18, 2009
Westfield, IN
Just wiped and updated to JK6... Cant remount to r/w because no root access...

Ideas, thoughts?

EDIT.. Got it... :)

Last edited:

galaxypirate

Sep 17, 2010
so i installed everything and i can now make the recovery feture work, but clockwork is not working. tried flashing with clockwork, but all i get is the samsung recovery screen. am i doing something wrong?

silow

Jan 12, 2009
So I gave this a try on stock JK6

Everytime I try to reinstall packages it says signature failed. I followed the instructions, maybe I got confused somewhere in the process with the fact that there are 4 files to dl and 2 versions etc.

can someone pease give a step-by-step from which to dl then what to do next?

I hate to ask like i need my hand held but it just flat out isnt working for me. Not to mention it is a massive pain to get files to my sd since everytime it says parameter incorrect. I could really use a hand here. I can get fies on the internal after copying to the externa then moving with root exporer, but I am just lost otherwise

If you are on stock JK6 - meaning you flashed JK6 via ODIN and do not have root:
The 2 files you will need to download are update.zip and mod_jk6_recovery.zip
1.) Place the update.zip in your internal sd card (i.e. /sdcard/update.zip). Sounds like you already have a method to do this by copying to external and using root explorer to move it to internal (you can also use adb push).
2.) Boot in recovery and flash the update.zip file. This will root your phone.
3.) Unzip mod_jk6_recovery.zip and rename the file 'mod_jk6_recovery' to 'recovery' and place this file on your external sd card.
4.) Use adb shell to issue the following command
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
or use Root Explorer and browse to the /system folder and use the Mount r/w button
5.) Using root explorer (or through adb shell) you will need to delete some bloatware from the /system/app partition to free some space. I got rid of slackerradio.
6.) Use root explorer to rename the following file /system/bin/recover to /system/bin/recovery_jk6 to back up your original recovery file
7.) Copy the recovery file from your external sd card to /system/bin

You can skip the first 2 steps if you are already rooted.

untermensch

Apr 4, 2009
Portland
you can also use rageagainstthecage to get temp root and install the modded
recovery.

download and extract ratc.zip
download and extract the modded recovery
Settings>Applications>Development: turn on USB debugging

Code:
adb push ratc /data/local/tmp/ratc
adb push recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/ratc
/data/local/tmp/ratc

let rageagainstthecage run when you get booted log back in
you should now be root.

Code:
adb shell
rm /system/bin/recovery
cat /data/local/tmp/recovery > /system/bin/recovery
chmod 755 /system/bin/recovery
rm /data/local/tmp/recovery
rm /data/local/tmp/ratc

the file system is full on JK6 and JL1 so you will also need to delete
some bloat, you might get Superuser.apk and su but not busybox
so choose something in /system/app to delete I choose slackerradio.apk
because its about the size of busybox and can be downloaded from the
market.

you can also root with the update.zip on the first post which will automaticly
delete slackerradio.apk and install root.

my preferred way is to patch factoryfs.rfs with the modded recovery and flash
with Heimdall.

Attachments

• ratc.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

fataltrain

Dec 14, 2010
hi I am on galaxy s
baseband I9000xxjpp build no: i9000xxjpo
and i cant seem to get this to work i am rooted and cant seem to do anyhting wiht clockwork i just get E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed installation aborted :S

leungda

Aug 26, 2008
If you are on stock JK6 - meaning you flashed JK6 via ODIN and do not have root:
1.) Place the update.zip in your internal sd card (i.e. /sdcard/update.zip). Sounds like you already have a method to do this by copying to external and using root explorer to move it to internal (you can also use adb push).
3.) Unzip mod_jk6_recovery.zip and rename the file 'mod_jk6_recovery' to 'recovery' and place this file on your external sd card.
Code:
or use Root Explorer and browse to the /system folder and use the Mount r/w button
5.) Using root explorer (or through adb shell) you will need to delete some bloatware from the /system/app partition to free some space. I got rid of slackerradio.
6.) Use root explorer to rename the following file /system/bin/recover to /system/bin/recovery_jk6 to back up your original recovery file

It works on my T959 JK6. Thanks. Now, the Rom Manager recovery installed.

Last edited:

Bugdog

Feb 22, 2010
Washington, DC
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but might this work to fix a "bitmap indeterminate" error that I get when trying to boot into CW recovery after flashing the JL5 kernel and modem over stock JK6? The phone seems to be working fine in general, except for recovery. I can get into stock recovery, but if I reinstall packages it freezes at the error screen, which is also what it does if I try to boot into CW from ROM manager. I know that I can ODIN a fresh install to fix it, but I don't have a PC and am looking for another option (if one exists).

Thanks much in advance.

Last edited:

untermensch

Apr 4, 2009
Portland
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but might this work to fix a "bitmap indeterminate" error that I get when trying to boot into CW recovery after flashing the JL5 kernel and modem over stock JK6? The phone seems to be working fine in general, except for recovery. I can get into stock recovery, but if I reinstall packages it freezes at the error screen, which is also what it does if I try to boot into CW from ROM manager. I know that I can ODIN a fresh install to fix it, but I don't have a PC and am looking for another option (if one exists).

Thanks much in advance.

recovery has not changed since JK6, so I don't think this will help unless the file
got corrupted somehow.

Reactions: shinobix37

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Seattle
recovery has not changed since JK6, so I don't think this will help unless the file
got corrupted somehow.

I figured. Sometimes you just have to ODIN (although this is my first time). Thank you!

stock JK6 that Som posted has 3emodded recovery, JL5 kernel has 3e built into the initrd as well as the rom, I added the 3eModded recovery to the rom so it works as 2e. replace the recovery in /system/bin with the one posted in the OP and you should be fine.

Reactions: Bugdog

Bugdog

Feb 22, 2010
Washington, DC
Thanks so much - quick question or two: do I need to delete the pre-existing recovery from /system/bin? and just to clarify, there are two files in the zip, one that has the extension .i64 - which do I use?

Thank you!

Edit: nvm - I see you said "replace".

UPDATE: Successful! Huge thank yous to Krylon and untermensch - renamed mod_jk6_recovery from zip in OP to "recovery", replaced recovery file in /system/bin using root explorer, and I'm back in business. Hell yes.

Last edited:

shinobix37

Sep 6, 2008
man, I felt like I was playing an RPG game trying to get my CW recovery to work again lol. I was getting unsigned errors n stuff... I didn't bring my data cable b/c I'm at work so I had to run adbWireless... Root explorer didn't allow me to copy over the modded Recovery to /system/bin so i had to adb that sucker. That's what I get for installing a stock JL5 at launch lol.

Nero 3 here we goooo baby!!!

as always, great work XDA devs. u guys rock. hard.

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Seattle
I'll see if we can't mod the recovery before we leak the next one and re-tar it for ODIN. (No, I dont have a new leak yet, just for when I find one.)

Shagman68

Apr 11, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
My phone is all messed up now, this boofed my JL5. Odin'ed the JL5 leak, but it does not have root, and now when I try to root, I get E: signature verification failed installation aborted. I'm gonna drop-kick this phone in a few minutes!!!!!

Matarick

Sep 10, 2010
Code:

Rock and roll! Thank you since I had to reflash to semi Froyo stock due to a faulty prior ROM. Then I realized how difficult is it to nand the T959UVJL5 Froyo. This is much needed for ODIN firmware update users!

Now, I got to fix the external SD card issue from CWM. :p

Ducifer

Dec 9, 2010
Got it worked! thanks. finally i can get into CWM and intalling my first Custom ROM! exciting!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    there are a number of problems with the recovery in the just leaked
    Froyo ROM.

1. signature checking
    2. passing API version 3 to the updater binary
    3. forced wipe after installing an update.zip

the attached zip has a 3e recovery modified to disable signature checking
    report API version 2 for backwards compatibility with clockwork mod recovery
    and disable the forced wipe after installing any update.

I don't know of any reason to run this version over 2e but it
    might be useful to someone.

Installing:

1. turn on USB debugging
    2. plug into computer
    3. run script and follow on screen prompts.

UPDATED 01/23/2011

fixed path error when space in user name

UPDATED 01/22/2011

compressed the rageagainstthecage resource to prevent anti-virus detection

new anti-virus report
    http://virscan.org/report/8e83f338fd7b8631c6b0bc0679efbd29.html

the /system file system is full on the newer ROM's
    use the attached update.zip to root then install clockwork
    i too am a noob compared to others on this board and your advice helped me out a lot. i was banging my head on my desk when it told me i didnt have shell root. used superoneclick and now all is good. thanks again!

No problem, alot people helped me on here and Im just trying to return the favor.

Hi all,
    I'm a noob here and I need your help.

Could you explain on step by step? I have a rooted captivate 2.2.

Should I install SDK first? Or just set the phone on USB debug is enough? I really confused.

I hope this method works properly on my phone because I've tried many methods but I still got nothing. Thanks.

Ok Ill try to help you with this.

1. get superoneclick root application (its on the forums just search for it.)
    2. plug phone into computer then open superoneclick application
    3. click on shell root (i used psneuter method) in the application and let it do its thing
    4. Once you get a message that you have shell root, download the 3e recovery from OP and unzip to desktop. (DO NOT restart phone!!!)
    5. run the .BAT file in the unzipped folder.
    6. go through the steps and choose to restart when done (it will show as recommended)
    You are now done!
    Let me know how it goes
    you changed the recovery file in /system/bin correct?
    you might need to redownload CWM also

actually I just fixed it by trial and error. I used titanium to uninstall slacker radio and then reran the recover program from my pc and this time the file wrote was bigger then before. Now when I reboot into recovery and press reinstall twice I go into clockwork everytime. Funny though is that the first time I ran this it worked and I could get into clockwork but then it just stopped working all together, but I seem to be good to go now.

Thanks for the help and I'll do it manually in the future.
    So I gave this a try on stock JK6

Everytime I try to reinstall packages it says signature failed. I followed the instructions, maybe I got confused somewhere in the process with the fact that there are 4 files to dl and 2 versions etc.

can someone pease give a step-by-step from which to dl then what to do next?

I hate to ask like i need my hand held but it just flat out isnt working for me. Not to mention it is a massive pain to get files to my sd since everytime it says parameter incorrect. I could really use a hand here. I can get fies on the internal after copying to the externa then moving with root exporer, but I am just lost otherwise

Code:

I am a Learning noob and cant get into clockwork recovery. First off I have updated to Official Froyo through Kies. I rooted through superonclick, downloaded titanium, got busybox off market and then it updated through titanium. Backed up apps and system data. Downloaded Rom manager it says i have clockwork 2.5.1.2. When i click to reboot into recovery it takes me to the stock recovery 3e and when i reinstall Packages it gives me this error:

"E: failed to varifywhole-file signature"
    "E:signature verification failed"
    Installation aborted.

What is it that am doing wrong ? I did tons of research on forums but am getting the spin around about this Recovery3e. Can you guys lead me to the right direction how to fix this ?

Ok I was having the same problem a you, I'm also a noob. Go to the first post and download the 3e recovery and extract to desktop. Use super one click to achieve shell root. (i used the psneuter method) After that open the .bat file you just extracted and press 2 then enter.let it run. Restart as recommended. The end. Click thanks if I helped.