help - 2 arias rendom reboot

Search This thread

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Got the RUU to load from an XP machine. Bad news is that the phone still randomly reboots.

I guess the only other step is to un-root and S-On. What have I got to lose. Can't use the phones as they are now.

Got a good way to do this?

Did the whole thing -- un-rooted and S-On. The phone still random reboots.

Got to get another phone. 2 Arias available -- one rooted one not, both randomly reboot.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Did the whole thing -- un-rooted and S-On. The phone still random reboots.

Got to get another phone. 2 Arias available -- one rooted one not, both randomly reboot.

The only thing left are the SIM card(s). Have you tried booting the two devices without any SIM card inserted?

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Yes, I tried it without an SD card. Sure is baffling. Sometimes the phone will run for several hours and other times just a minute. And it only happened on the 2nd phone after I swapped SD cards to transfer the Nandroid backup.

Maybe it damaged the phone's internal memory.

Again, thanks for all your help.
Sent from my Liberty using XDA

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, I tried it without an SD card.

I said SIM card, not SD card, but either way...

Maybe it's a faulty SD card that has caused physical damage to the phone? i.e., it shorted pins that weren't supposed to be shorted and burnt out something on the mainboard or something? Of course it's only speculation, but it seems like it's a hardware problem. And hardware problems don't just migrate from one phone to another unless something external to both devices is causing the problem.

If I was you, I'd probably stop using that SD card in any other device just in case it's the culprit. SD cards are pretty cheap these days -- definitely cheaper than having to replace another phone. Also to be on the safe side, I'd go get a brand new SIM card from the carrier -- even if you aren't having any issues -- just for peace of mind.

Last edited:

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Misread your question, although I had tried it without the SIM card too. I also re-rooted/s-off'd, but no luck. At least I'm now an expert in rooting/un-rooting.

Thanks again!

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
One other thought. After un-rooting, loading stock ATT rom, and re-rooting and loading CM7.2, I noticed when logging into Wifi at work that the phone had remembered multiple Wifi settings! Where is this info stored? It maybe a clue to something else to wipe and possible sole my rebooting problem.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
One other thought. After un-rooting, loading stock ATT rom, and re-rooting and loading CM7.2, I noticed when logging into Wifi at work that the phone had remembered multiple Wifi settings! Where is this info stored? It maybe a clue to something else to wipe and possible sole my rebooting problem.

If you enable Google's backup features (Settings > Privacy > "Back up my data"), Google will sync your wifi passwords to their servers. Personally I'm surprised no one else thinks that it is wrong for Google to do that, but whatever. I always disable it.

loleary

Jul 16, 2009
Any Progress?

Hey,

I just stumbled across this thread and am having what seems to be the exact same problem. My issue seemed to start back in March and has not improved.

I had two Aria phones. One stock and one running CM7.1. They both developed the random reboot issue. I have restored them to stock and they still randomly reboot. With and without SIM or SD card.

I finally broke down and purchased a new HTC Aria which arrived yesterday. Stock... with Android 2.1 just like it came from AT&T back in 2010. And, sure enough, random reboots!

I have no clue what is causing this. I have contacted HTC and they suggest that I get a replacement for the new phone to see what "happens" and if the random reboots occur on the "replacement" of the replacement, I can send it to them under warranty but they did caution that the issue might be the cell network. Changes in the network could result in hardware incompatibilities that would require firmware updates which they are not planning on providing. To test that theory though, the phone would have to be used in an area where another Aria phone is successfully being used.

I talked to AT&T and they claim there have been no hardware upgrades or changes in my area in the past three months. However, I know this not to be true seeing that I have an LTE device which just recently started functioning in LTE mode.

Bottom line, I am at a loss for what could be wrong. I find drumist's idea of the SD card causing hardware damage to the phone to be interesting. That is one consistency here. I too have used the original SD card in all three devices as I moved data around (backup/restore/roms). The thought of an SD card damaging a device seems scary.

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
I am waiting for one of my Arias that is being repaired by HTC under warranty and will let you know how it works. I definitely will use a new SD card!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
Just got the phone back from HTC repair today. I only put the battery in it to test, no SIM or SD cards. It still randomly reboots! 3 times in less than 1 hour.

I called HTC and they are having me send it back again. The HTC agent said he was surprised since they have had very few repair requests for the Ariia. Since the reboot problem is random, he said the repair office may have just turned it on for few minutes, checked it out and didn't find anything wrong.

I told him that I have 2 Arias that have the same problem and gave him my conjecture that I may have transmitted the problem to the 2nd phone by using the same SIM and SD card. He said he would add that information to the repair order.

I have since gotten new SIM and SD cards. Frustrating problem. Wouldn't bother if I didn't like this little phone so much.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Have you tried taking the phones physically to another place (miles away) just to verify that it's not some sort of weird RF interference issue?

Also one other thing that I figure might be connected is the charger you're using. Are you/were you using the same charger for both phones?

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
I have recently used the Aria during a weekend at a town Maryland, which is about 90 miles from here (southeast Pennsylvania). Same issue.

Regarding chargers, I use a stock HTC charger at home and a cheap car charger. I had been using these chargers for more that a year before the problem started. And I use them for other devices, such as my wife's iPhone, with no problem.

I sent the Aria back to HTC today for a 2nd try. If anyone wants to experiment, I will ship you my other Aria. Of course I would like it back. I am sure HTC will figure it out someday. And my other Aria is still under warranty too. I am just letting HTC work on one at a time.

Last edited:

loleary

Jul 16, 2009
Aria is dead in my market

I thought I posted an update but looking back, I somehow didn't. For my issue, after going through many Arias--brand new--all doing the random reboot at home and not elsewhere, AT&T finally saw that the radio firmware on the phone (the specific spec version of HSPA+) was not compatible with the updates they were pushing to local towers. What this means is that the radio will randomly crash resulting in the phone rebooting. HTC stated that this was an AT&T problem and that AT&T was responsible for updating the firmware to be compatible with their equipment. AT&T said that their device report for my area should less then 1% hit meaning they weren't going to patch/update the firmware and recommended a new phone.

Additionally, I know of two other people in the area that are experiencing the same issue but just thought they had broken their phone and went out and purchased a new one.

yar2

Feb 12, 2012
All my Aria reboot problems were solved with a new sim card. And I have no idea why.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

NinetyWt

Mar 24, 2011
AT&T finally saw that the radio firmware on the phone (the specific spec version of HSPA+) was not compatible with the updates they were pushing to local towers. What this means is that the radio will randomly crash resulting in the phone rebooting. HTC stated that this was an AT&T problem and that AT&T was responsible for updating the firmware to be compatible with their equipment. AT&T said that their device report for my area should less then 1% hit meaning they weren't going to patch/update the firmware and recommended a new phone.

Thank you ever so much for chasing this rabbit to ground. My phone had been randomly rebooting over the last couple of days until today, finally, it is just stuck in a never-ending boot loop. Your post has saved me a lot of fruitless hours of work, I think.

BTW, I tried a new SIM card and that did not fix it.