[Q] Big problem .... my phone stuck on the "m" at boot !!!

Search This thread

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
Hi everybody,

I have the defy, I've rooted it with Z4root, got the super users.
Everything was working fine.

Today I tried to install a zip from this website "xda developpers" with the HTC sense theme on it (I don't remember where on the website I took it) !! whatever...

Problem now is when I re-booted the phone it got stuck on the "m" of motorola and now I can't do anything !!!??

I tried to turn it off with the power button but useless....
So I did it taking of the battery.

I looked with RSD Lite and it shows my phone but with no name, no IMEI, no Software version.... !!???

Is the phone dead ???

I've also tried to go to the recovery mode but I can reach only the one with "Android system recovery 2e" which gives me only those 4 modes:

- Reboot system now
- Apply sdcard:update.zip
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition

And at the bottom it shows:

E:Can't open /cach/recovery/command

I tried "wipe data/factory reset" but it doesn't change anything...

Please need help guys !!!

Thanks.

Higgsy

Oct 16, 2009
Smethvegas
Hi everybody,

I have the defy, I've rooted it with Z4root, got the super users.
Everything was working fine.

Today I tried to install a zip from this website "xda developpers" with the HTC sense theme on it (I don't remember where on the website I took it) !! whatever...

Problem now is when I re-booted the phone it got stuck on the "m" of motorola and now I can't do anything !!!??

I tried to turn it off with the power button but useless....
So I did it taking of the battery.

I looked with RSD Lite and it shows my phone but with no name, no IMEI, no Software version.... !!???

Is the phone dead ???

I've also tried to go to the recovery mode but I can reach only the one with "Android system recovery 2e" which gives me only those 4 modes:

- Reboot system now
- Apply sdcard:update.zip
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition

And at the bottom it shows:

E:Can't open /cach/recovery/command

I tried "wipe data/factory reset" but it doesn't change anything...

Please need help guys !!!

Thanks.

as long as your phone is showing as connected in rsd lite, you can reflash the most appropriate .sbf as per my guide, doesn't matter what else it says as long as it says connected.

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
Thank you for your answer.

I tried with the 2.21 version and it looks ok, but at the end when the phone has to re-boot itself (still usb connected), it boot and stays on the "m" of motorola !!! ???

jmoore2

Dec 14, 2010
Ayrshire
Thank you for your answer.

I tried with the 2.21 version and it looks ok, but at the end when the phone has to re-boot itself (still usb connected), it boot and stays on the "m" of motorola !!! ???

I have the same problem, RSD lite is currently running, I will update when it is finished

**UPDATE** took a while to start booting but i am now seeing the MotoBlur animation which must be a good sign, as i said it is taking a while, and it is now working fine :D

Last edited:

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for your explanation...

but how long it takes in minutes to boot on the motoblur logo ???

thanks.

I'm gonna try again.

Higgsy

Oct 16, 2009
Smethvegas
I would prob boot into recovery mode and wipe data if the reflash doesn't work a second time. Who knows where this theme has installed stuff. On a general note only install themes that are specifically designed for your device/build, sounds like this one wasn't.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
Thanks Higgsy,

just a question:

The only recovery mode I can reach is the one I stated before.

I've already done the wipe data/recovry mode that is proposed.

It didn't change anything.

I'm at work, I'll try a flash when I come back.

I might flash it with the Jboogie3 beta 4 !!! :p

jmoore2

Dec 14, 2010
Ayrshire
It took about 5 minutes to fully boot Also in RDS lite the progress percentage thing was increasing but.again much slower than when i debranded my defy. I would try leaving rds lite running for a while and seeing what happens but if it doesn't work then im really not sure. Have you tried factory restore here is how to do it

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custh...00/~/defy---master-reset-/-factory-data-reset

Good luck.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
Thank you for your explanation but I've already done the factory rest...

but still stuck !!

Can't wait to finish work and to test with RSD Lite 4.9 again.

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
1) Turn off the phone
2) Hold [Volume UP] and [Power] until the backlight comes on, then release the [Power] button.
3) You should now be looking at the bootloader. White, blocky text on a black background. It should say something along the lines of "Ready to program, connect USB data cable"
4) Connect the phone to your computer, using the USB data cable
5) Fire up RSD lite and start loading the appropriate SBF, which judging by your flag, would be this one.

...those steps work for me, anyways :)

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
thanks Sorensiim,

just to be sure, last time I unzipped the .gz file, and it use the .sbf file only with rsd lite right ??

zagaza

yoganche

Dec 27, 2010
Sorensiim... you're the man !!!

It worked !!! :D

I think last time it didn't work due to a bad .sbf file !!

Cause I did the same !!!

Whatever thanks a lot again.

I'm a newbie.

Sorensen, you're the best goalkeeper !! lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) Turn off the phone
    2) Hold [Volume UP] and [Power] until the backlight comes on, then release the [Power] button.
    3) You should now be looking at the bootloader. White, blocky text on a black background. It should say something along the lines of "Ready to program, connect USB data cable"
    4) Connect the phone to your computer, using the USB data cable
    5) Fire up RSD lite and start loading the appropriate SBF, which judging by your flag, would be this one.

...those steps work for me, anyways :)