[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Search This thread

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Flash Image GUI is only concerned with the kernel and the modules. Both are setup properly in this .zip file.

If you're concerned a bad flash occured, reflash both the kernel/modules and ROM .zip following the directions outlined at the end of the OP for HTC officially unlocked users loading a ROM .zip.

After reflashing and still experiencing the issue, the next step is to work with the MIUI ROM developers on checking logs of why your SMS and data are not operating properly with their ROM.

Appreciate the support! Good luck!

robmclain1975

Mar 22, 2011
Ok, so I used the Flash Image GUI then went and reflashed the ROM from TWRP and now all I get is the HTC load screen. Then it clears and does it again. Can't flash other ROM's, can't do anything. HELP! I have had no problems with my EVO 4G but this 3D that belongs to my friend is freaking me out. Using HBOOT 1.5 S-ON and the ROM was the INFECTED one. (which was working sort of...my friend was having issues with the phone only working on speaker etc so that was why we were looking at changing the ROM).

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Ok, so I used the Flash Image GUI then went and reflashed the ROM from TWRP and now all I get is the HTC load screen. Then it clears and does it again. Can't flash other ROM's, can't do anything. HELP! I have had no problems with my EVO 4G but this 3D that belongs to my friend is freaking me out. Using HBOOT 1.5 S-ON and the ROM was the INFECTED one. (which was working sort of...my friend was having issues with the phone only working on speaker etc so that was why we were looking at changing the ROM).
I've listed some basic troubleshooting steps in my OP. I've pasted them below.
Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues. If not, see the issues/solutions below.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img
Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
Solution for #2: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a nandroid backup.

robmclain1975

Mar 22, 2011
OK, another probably dumb question. I have the phone connected and it shows
***UNLOCKED***
Shooter XC Ship S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.50.000
eMMC-boot
Aug 7 2011,10:21:40

FASTBOOT USB

then when I am in the command prompt for my computer, everytime I use a Fastboot command I get 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What the heck am I doing wrong with this darn 3D??

Oh Snap! I figured it out finally. Mad shout out to HTCEvoHacks.com!!!

Last edited:

raycaster3

Apr 17, 2011
S.Ogden
Any chance this app my see some htc doubleshot (mytouch4g slide) support? They're in the same boat as evo3d users after using htc unlock method. Great app. I used it a cpl times hooking friends' phones up. Thanks.

»»DARKSIDE««

Will32

May 12, 2011
Benton
I noticed that in the OP, under "background", it states that this app will flash boot logos. Is that the screen that's bright white with HTC on it. If it will change that screen, how do I do it. I read the first 10 pages and the past 4 and haven't found an answer. Thanks.

hboot 1.5/s-off

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
I noticed that in the OP, under "background", it states that this app will flash boot logos. Is that the screen that's bright white with HTC on it. If it will change that screen, how do I do it. I read the first 10 pages and the past 4 and haven't found an answer. Thanks.

hboot 1.5/s-off

I've used it to flash Boot Logos (the static boot screen, not the animation) on my Samsung Transform, and can tell you to be Absolutely Careful.

On the Tranform, If you flash one that the file size is too big, it would BRICK THE PHONE. You also had to make sure what you flash is the correct resolution for the phone. Basically, I would download the correct boot logo file to the sdcard, select it with flashimage, flash it and reboot.

My Evo3d Has Hboot 1.50/S-ON, so I can't flash the boot logo by any method. FlashImage doesn't even display the option on my 3D to flash one anyway (maybe it knows! ).

Reactions: Will32

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Any chance this app my see some htc doubleshot (mytouch4g slide) support? They're in the same boat as evo3d users after using htc unlock method. Great app. I used it a cpl times hooking friends' phones up. Thanks.

»»DARKSIDE««
Definitely. Need a tester to help verify everything works and I can add official support.

If you're able to spend some time, prob 45-60 min or know somebody with the device who is able to and has knowledge of ADB/nandroid, I'd be more than glad to add support! Send me a PM. Thanks!

hboot 1.5/s-off
I have updated the OP to help clarify. On devices which allow flashing of the boot logo, this application supports them. Devices which don't allow flashing of the boot logo from normal Android mode, there isn't anyway I've seen yet to support this.

The EVO 3D is a device where I haven't seen any method of flashing them yet. If you've seen anything, let me know. Otherwise, the most recent method I've seen was to flash them via a PG86IMG.zip file.

Hope that helps and appreciate the support!

Reactions: Will32

rudygetz

Oct 19, 2007
I unlocked my phone via the htc method because i have 1.5...now i go to start Flash Image GUI and it says ROOT ACCESS DENIED.

What am I missing or doing wrong?!

I hate this phone so much, i miss my EVO 4G

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I unlocked my phone via the htc method because i have 1.5...now i go to start Flash Image GUI and it says ROOT ACCESS DENIED.

What am I missing or doing wrong?!

I hate this phone so much, i miss my EVO 4G

okay i got team win recovery on it... this phone is making me feel like such a noob.

i was able to get into recovery and install MIUI but now its stuck in the MIUI boot screen...
How did you load MIUI? How did you load the recovery?
Have you followed the guide and troubleshooting steps outlined in the OP? I have quoted them below for your convenience:
HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
1) Unlock using HTC method for Hboot 1.5 users
2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
8) Select reboot recovery.
9) Inside the custom recovery, load/flash the ROM zip file.
10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
5) Reboot

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues. If not, see the issues/solutions below.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img
Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
Solution for #2: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a nandroid backup.

fklases

Jul 4, 2012
May I??

Here something I was wondering...

May I flash Radio.img on evo 3d(gsm) using this app?? :/

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Here something I was wondering...

May I flash Radio.img on evo 3d(gsm) using this app?? :/
Short answer: Not currently
Longer answer: I'm not aware of anyway to access the partition where the radio is stored from the normal android boot mode. In fact, I think the only method on the device to flash the radio always relies on the bootloader.
If something new has been posted, please provide the link and I'll look into the technical details!

I hope Joeykrim sees this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i22ya49llpc&hd=1&t=8m15s

That link should take you 8 Minutes and 15 Seconds into it! :D
The link worked. Thanks for the mention in the video!

Reactions: wwjoshdew

Grandfinalex

Jul 18, 2012
Daytona Beach
Short answer: Not currently
Longer answer: I'm not aware of anyway to access the partition where the radio is stored from the normal android boot mode. In fact, I think the only method on the device to flash the radio always relies on the bootloader.
If something new has been posted, please provide the link and I'll look into the technical details!

The link worked. Thanks for the mention in the video!

Thanks so much for the app, guy. Saved my phone so I floated you a buck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credits:
    birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
    testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
    Thanks to SDX

HTC Unlock - Newer Hboot:
    If you have a newer Hboot version on either a CDMA or GSM device which has successfully completed the HTC unlock method, this application will work to flash kernels!
    Please see the guides at the bottom of this post!

Background:
    flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos (so far ONLY Samsung devices) and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Description:
    This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
    This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
    Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
    Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, Amaze, Vivid/Holiday, EVO, EVO Shift, Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
    Check application version for updates

Specific EVO 3D Support:
    Custom Kernels - CDMA
    [Kernel] [AOSP & Sense] Tiamat 1.1.0 | 2.6.35.14
    [KERNEL] Infected-AnthraX
    [KERNEL] mildAnthraX
    [KERNEL] Silverneedle 1.0
    [KERNEL] mKernel

Custom Recovery
    Use my app to easily load the Teamwin Recovery - TWRP 2.
    Download either PG86IMG.zip or recovery .img to your sdcard, select from the app and flash!
    CWM 5.0.2.0 - EVO 3D CDMA - - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooter.img
    CWM 5.0.2.0 - EVO 3D GSM - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooteru.img

Future Support:
    Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

YouTube Video Directions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVhKbvXawM&hd=1&list=PL9B601B5B9B4F42BE
    Thanks disturb3d1/wwjoshdew!

Great Photo Guide:
    http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-install-kernelrom-on-hboot-1-50-for-htc-evo-3d/

Install Directions:
    Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
    My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
    Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
    Release version (free): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
    Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
    A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
    sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
    1) Unlock using HTC method for Hboot 1.5 users
    2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
    3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
    4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
    5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
    6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
    7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
    8) Select reboot recovery.
    9) Inside the custom recovery, wipe data is ROM requires and load/flash the ROM zip file.
    10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
    1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
    2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
    3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
    3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
    4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
    5) Reboot

No this allows flashing of Kernels AND Recoveries , just not sure if Recoveries can be flashed with S-ON ;)

It even has links to the recoveries in the first post :)

"Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, HTC EVO, HTC EVO Shift, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    "
    Yes, recovery images can be flashed into the recovery partition with S-On.
    There are two main drawbacks to S-On.
    1) Kernels can't be flashed from the standard recovery mode. BUT, they can be flashed from fastboot mode or from normal android mode. FIG works in normal android mode making it easy/simple to flash kernels and the kernel portion of ROMs.
    2) I've read S-On does not allow the radio.img to be flashed. I haven't researched this too much as there has been no updated radio.img released yet for the EVO 3D. I'm sure once an updated radio.img comes around, we'll figure this out too!

Thanks for the support and feedback!
    thanks for taking the time to help out bro!! youre awesome!! :D

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

@Joey.. I'm not extremely new to the rooting business, But however I am, kinda new to knowing what the kernels do and how do they help when flashing ROMs, and last but not release, you can flash ROMs with that app correct. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to learn and understand.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Im confused... on this command: Install Directions:
    Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
    My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

I have the file FlashGUI.apk on my sdcard.. where to now.. sorry Im slow today
    You can use Root Explorer or other applications to install an .apk from sdcard. Using adb, my preferred method is to use the above command which installs the .apk file from your host computer, over the USB connections to your phone.
    ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk.
    The command might work if you try, adb install /sdcard/FlashImageGUI.apk.

Thanks! I've added it to the OP!
    Stupid question, maybe.

Is this only for those on Hboot 1.5?

I am rocking 1.40.1100

Far as I know it's for everyone, but a necessity for 1.50
    Works on all Hboot versions. I've been using and testing it extensively with 1.3 on my own device!

As an update, I was able to add a Reboot Recovery button after the flash completes to help people save a few extra steps in version 1.3.6 released yesterday!

Thanks for the support!
    @Joey... sou you are saying that I have successfully unlocked bootloader but stuck at trying to get s-off with the new hboot version, Im using htcevohacks.com method (http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-root-evo-3d-2-08-651-2-and-later-htc-unlock-method/) but seem to be stuck trying to flash recovery typing this command :fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img. please help:confused:
    The point you're stuck at, has nothing to do with this thread, Flash Image GUI, as this thread is dedicated to an application. Although, I can provide a solution to your issue which Flash Image GUI does assist with! In addition, I'll also provide alternative solutions if you're not using Flash Image GUI.

I do have links in the OP to the custom recoveries available for the EVO 3D. I've wrote up a very nice and detailed generic reply for this type of issue as I frequent the EVO 3D Q&A board a bit too often:
    Steps 1 - 3 will work having used AlphaRevX's revolutionary method. Steps 1 & 3 will work having used HTC's unlock method. The two methods unlock the internal memory write protection differently, hence the difference in steps for flash a custom recovery on the EVO 3D.

1) Flash from normal android mode: My application works well for this, Flash Image GUI, as well as flashing kernels, especially when being away from or not having a computer available. Select either the PG86IMG.zip, or the actual recovery.img file from the sdcard and flash!

2) Flash through the bootloader by putting a PG86IMG.zip file on the root of your sdcard. The TWRP version of this file is located a their site linked to in the OP.

3) Flash the actual recovery image through fastboot by using the following command: fastboot flash recovery c:\downloads\twrp-recovery.img

Hope that helps! Good luck!