[Q] Wifi Tether

Search This thread

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
My native Hotspot works with no external app or rooting. Don't have a tethering plan either. I just have the new share data plan. I'm assuming verizon has said screw it, let em use WiFi using his shared data

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Huachipato

Feb 11, 2014
Richardson
My native Hotspot works with no external app or rooting. Don't have a tethering plan either. I just have the new share data plan. I'm assuming verizon has said screw it, let em use WiFi using his shared data

WiFi Tethering if free with the shared data plans - which is why the phone just switches it on for you after it double checks your plan.

It's an extra $30 for us who still have the grandfathered Unlimited plans - which is why we try to find a different app that will provide the WiFi tethering function - and by-passing Verizon's software.

siteexperts

Aug 13, 2010
Does anyone know if getting the developer edition phone will allow wifi tether for unlimited data users?

Jeeab

May 2, 2011
Foxfi just updated and allows wifi tether. It requires some sort of lockscreen security to be enabled and you probably will need to buy the key. But... it works

Reactions: telveer

telveer

Dec 10, 2008
Thanks to all for confirming this ... FoxFi works with my VZW S5. No ROOT. Unlimited Data. No Hotspot Plan.

However, I have a few questions

-> The first time the app is executed, the app installs its own trust certificate to create a VPN connection. Is this is required on an on-going basis?
-> Probably because of the VPN, the phone forces users to use Password or PIN based security. I want to revert back to Pattern. Is it possible?

==== UPDATE =====
I tested FoxFi after deleting the certificate it downloaded. It prompted me to download the certificate again. Apparently, FoxFi requires this certificate not only the first time it is installed but for each execution. Apparently, ti is using this certificate and VPN feature to fool the built-in Hotspot app into thinking there is a subscription (or so, I believe). So, the certificate (and PIN) will have to remain as long as I use FoxFi. To its credit, it downloads the certificate very quickly, so I will just delete it after each use. I don't like the idea of permanently adding an untrusted certificate to my trust store.

Last edited:

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
Thanks to all for confirming this ... FoxFi works with my VZW S5. No ROOT. Unlimited Data. No Hotspot Plan.

However, I have a few questions

-> The first time the app is executed, the app installs its own trust certificate to create a VPN connection. Is this is required on an on-going basis?
-> Probably because of the VPN, the phone forces users to use Password or PIN based security. I want to revert back to Pattern. Is it possible?

The First Run Certificate stays, and you do not have to create one each time.

Also, for the lock, that is an ongoing thing that FoxFi has had. I didn't like it at first, but if I keep my phone locked, no one can hijack my wifi and I keep my personal info safe is how I look at it.

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
Did you disconnect from it before trying to connect to the phone wifi and enter the password for the Hotspot if you have it?

Sent from the S5 with FoxFi freedom

mewohkie

Mar 31, 2011
is there a way to disable need for the PIN lock and go to fingerprint or pattern lock? Does anyone know of a way to save the certificate or disable it's need for pin lock?

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
is there a way to disable need for the PIN lock and go to fingerprint or pattern lock? Does anyone know of a way to save the certificate or disable it's need for pin lock?

When you get done with WiFi broadcast, you can clear the cert under settings. As far as I know, you cannot use Fingerprint or anything other than Pin or Password for unlock with FoxFi

Top Liked Posts