[Kernel] [2.6.38.8 (CM7)] HAVS/SVS + 1152MHz (09/17/11)

Search This thread

wildmonks

Nov 8, 2007
After being a long time lurker here in XDA and having successfully fulfilled some requests on another thread, I thought I'd try to give something to the great community here.

You probably remember Ivan's kernels that provided the community with a version of intersectRaven's Hybrid AVS with 1113MHz overclocking. Unfortunately it looks like Ivan been very busy and is unable to update his kernels. So I have provided recent updates of intersectRaven's truly awesome kernels that includes the 1113MHz overclock for you all to enjoy. (I see this request a lot so maybe now intersectRaven won't be bothered by it again :))

I absolutely take no creative credit in making these kernels as all I have done is used the open source code on intersectRaven's github and compiled it. The real credit goes to all the other coders here in this forum (cyan, pershoot, and especially intersectRaven).

When time permits, I'll try to update these kernels when improvements and/or bug fixes are made but I realistically only see myself updating these once or twice a week.

I'm open to requests (like no audio boost) and such. Just let me know the one kernel you want modified and if its within my ability, I'll make one for you when time permits. I have not yet made a super all-in-one compiling script, so it would take me far too long to make a requested modification on all versions. Edit: Due to having virtually no free time, I don't think I can get fulfill requests in a timely manner... I'll try but I can't promise it. So sorry everyone -_-;

If you have the time and the will, I highly suggest you learn how to compile for yourself as I find it pretty fun and rewarding to make something for yourself. Guides and instructions can be found throughout the XDA forum and also on Cyanogen's wiki.

Before updating with these kernels, all I ask is that you make a nandroid backup in case something goes wrong.

Q & A:
-What's the difference between CFS and BFS?
See this short post for the difference between Completely Fair Scheduler and Brain F*** Scheduler. In summery, CFS is better for multitasking, BFS is better for user interactions (keyboard, homescreen swiping, etc).

-What's the difference between SVS and AVS?
Static Voltage Scaling will change the voltage based on a set table created by the kernel maker. Example: At a certain speed, say 245MHz, 925mV is feed into the CPU. At 998MHz, 1225mV is used.
Adaptive Voltage Scaling will change the voltage depending on temperature and CPU needs. Personally, AVS is running rock solid for me but I can't say for sure if it will be for everyone so SVS kernels will continue to be made available.

-What is this "No Audio Boost Version"?
Many of the custom kernels posted in this forum and the kernels used by default in the CM6 roms have this feature where it increases the loudness of the speakers during calls. Its been reported that some bluetooth headsets are overly sensitive to the increased loudness and some have reported that it distorts the audio quality even though volume has been lowered by the user. Due to an overwhelming request to make a kernel without this feature, I have included a separate set with each release that does not boost the volume.

-Can you make a higher overclock version of your kernel?
I was really against this because when I first tried to do this, my phone got really hot. But the requests kept on coming so I revisted this and possibly discovered a way to keep the temperature under control by limiting the max voltage to 1300mV. You'll find a 1190MHz version of my kernel here (Mirror Link).. Most users should be able to handle 1152MHz without any problems but some won't on 1190MHz. You'll know when your CPU can't handle a certain speed if you start to experience a sudden decrease in performance, lag, force closes, and spontaneous reboots. This won't be alievated unless more voltage is feed to the CPU but I'm not comfortable going beyond 1300mV. Now before you try these kernels out I gotta say this. I am not responsible if these kernels result in damaging your phone. Its purely for testing purposes and I really dont recommend using it as your everyday use kernel. If you do continue to use it, you should limit the max to 1113MHz or better yet 1075MHz (see previous question for the reason) if you care about battery life.

-I'm getting a black screen whenever I launch the camera app. Why? (720p related question)
The latest kernels with the 720p code only works with roms that has the 720p stock camera app and now the HTC camera app on Enomther's [ROM] as of 8/10/10. The latest cm6 nightly that has the 720p camera app as well as a few other roms out there that are based on cm6. You can try flashing charnsingh_online zip that contains the updated camera app if you don't want to use the nightly but I don't know for sure if his camera app is compatible with roms under RC2. Another alternative is to send in a request for a custom kernel and I'll make one for you without the 720p code.

2.6.38 kernels:
(Tested on Cyanogenmod 7 Nightlies)
Grab the kernels here: Mediafire

-Changes since 090311
-Set default sleep ideal freq to 128mhz for smartassV2 governor
-Bug fix for 1190MHz kernels, properly set max voltage to 1325mV
-Compiled HAVS 1190MHz kernels for those phone that can handle it

-Changes since 062411
Rebase source from IntersectRaven's Github
Highlights include:

-msm: Add support for voice call recording
-PM: Back off suspend if repeated attempts fail
-lib/sha1: use the git implementation of SHA-1
-arm: remove “optimized” SHA1 routines
-Fix AVS thread not being started.
-Added erasmux’s Smartass governor Version 2

-Changes since 062311
-Fixed ext4 partition support on sdcard.

-Changes since 052711
-Rebase to kernel version 2.6.38.8 from IntersectRaven's Github, with it 2 new governors (InteractiveX and SavageZen)

-Changes since 052611
-Rebased kernel source from intersectRaven's Github With it comes the smartass governor (default set to ondemand because I like it better)
-Switched to Tiny Preempt RCU with RCU boost (To match with Cyanogenmod stock kernel)
-Revert WiFi souce code used in previous release. (Didn't want to take a chance in WiFi not working for some.)

-Changes since 042111
-Rebased kernel source from intersectRaven’s Github With it comes the smartass governor (default set to ondemand because I like it better)
-Switched to Tiny Preempt RCU with RCU boost (To match with Cyanogenmod stock kernel)
-Revert WiFi souce code used in previous release. (Didn’t want to take a chance in WiFi not working for some.)

-Changes since 040911
-Bug fixes relating to USB file transfer speeds and addressed probable cause of WiFi problems for some.

Last edited:

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Have these kernels been tried and tested? Does the following work:

- Youtube
- Camcorder
- Googles
- Flash
- Unmounting sd card
- Wifi locations

and can you tell us more about the battery life by using this kernel?

p.s. Thanks for posting this btw...

RinTinTigger

Nov 26, 2009
- Youtube Works
- Camcorder works
- Flash works
- sd card problem persists on the .34
- wifi works

EDIT:
I LOVE this kernel! THX wildmonkey ^^

i testet the .34 on both 2.2 and 2.1.... works so far!

Last edited:

wildmonks

Nov 8, 2007
Thats gr8...what about battery life? how do yo fare by using this kernel?

Speaking for myself, I've been averaging 1-2% on standby. I can't tell you what I get at the end of the day because I usually plug my phone in the charger when I'm in the car...

- Youtube Works
- Camcorder works
- Flash works
- sd card problem persists on the .34
- wifi works

EDIT:
I LOVE this kernel! THX wildmonkey ^^

i testet the .34 on both 2.2 and 2.1.... works so far!

Glad you like it! You know it was partly you that made me want to start this thread. :D

Last edited:

t0ol

May 13, 2010
everything including goggles seems working on 800 bfs.. 41 linpacks.. cool

RinTinTigger

Nov 26, 2009
That was my result with linpack and this kernel!

5y8cqe.jpg

t0ol

May 13, 2010
forgot to setcpu doh
44.738 mflops :p

upd.. and bootloop =)

Last edited:

mardox

Feb 2, 2010
just got my nexus one so you could say i'm kinda new to this^^
just wondering what the difference between CFS and BFS kernels are? and what are the pros and cons with 800 / 925 mV kernels?

i am running rooted stock froyo atm, so all i need to do is install a .34 kernel through recovory if i am right? do kernel installs requier a wipe?

thx:)

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm open to requests (like no audio boost) and such. Just let me know the one kernel you want modified and if its within my ability, I'll make one for you when time permits. I have not yet made a super all-in-one compiling script, so it would take me far too long to make a requested modification on all versions.

I am running CM5.0.7.1 and I would love to have a kernel that did not include the audio hack, I have a feeling that everyone must be deaf because this thing sounds real bad at higher volumes ever since the audio hack was implemented. I get so much distortion in-calls that I have to turn the volume down to a level that negates any audio boost - so what is the point?

So.. yeah, if you are taking specific requests:

1. Stock speeds (or OC if it has to be, I can control that).
2. 925mV.
3. CFS (though I haven't messed with BFS since CM4.xx days on my G1, I still think it has a long way to go).
4. No audio hack.

Seems perfect to me.

RinTinTigger

Nov 26, 2009
just got my nexus one so you could say i'm kinda new to this^^
just wondering what the difference between CFS and BFS kernels are? and what are the pros and cons with 800 / 925 mV kernels?

i am running rooted stock froyo atm, so all i need to do is install a .34 kernel through recovory if i am right? do kernel installs requier a wipe?

thx:)

CFS: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completely_Fair_Scheduler

BFS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Fuck_Scheduler

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Just flashed it...camcorder, video playback, youtube and WIFI works as normal.

Brilliant kernel in terms of performance, as speedy as preshoots...

Linpack scores varies from 40-44 mflops
Quadrant score is a hefty 1495...

Now, im gonna test the battery life tonight...

hondaguy

Mar 2, 2006
toronto
Just flashed it...camcorder, video playback, youtube and WIFI works as normal.

Brilliant kernel in terms of performance, as speedy as preshoots...

Linpack scores varies from 40-44 mflops
Quadrant score is a hefty 1495...

Now, im gonna test the battery life tonight...
when you say "test battery life tonight" does that mean you are going to leave the phone over night and see how much battery is consumed in standby or are you actually going to use the device?

nazrin313

Mar 6, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
when you say "test battery life tonight" does that mean you are going to leave the phone over night and see how much battery is consumed in standby or are you actually going to use the device?

Im gonna charge it to 100% then leave it whilst I sleep...Tommorow im gonna im actually gonna use it

from my own usage since installing Froyo here is what I have found from testing various kernels (Unplugged at 7am)

- Froyo Kernel: Lasted till 10pm ish (Display on > 3 hrs)
- Preshoot 33.4 kernel: lasted me till 3pm ish (Display on approx 2 hrs)

P.s:

Tested on quadrant again and I got a whopping 1668...thats the highest ive seen my phone do...

wildmonks

Nov 8, 2007
I am running CM5.0.7.1 and I would love to have a kernel that did not include the audio hack, I have a feeling that everyone must be deaf because this thing sounds real bad at higher volumes ever since the audio hack was implemented. I get so much distortion in-calls that I have to turn the volume down to a level that negates any audio boost - so what is the point?

So.. yeah, if you are taking specific requests:

1. Stock speeds (or OC if it has to be, I can control that).
2. 925mV.
3. CFS (though I haven't messed with BFS since CM4.xx days on my G1, I still think it has a long way to go).
4. No audio hack.

Seems perfect to me.

Here yah go:
2.6.33.5_AVS-925mV_CFS_NoAudBoost_v2_060210.zip

I think all those years of listening to loud music has affected my hearing so I need the audio boost :p

I tested it out and it seems audio levels are back to standard (noticeably lower) but let me know if it doesn't work or if there are any other problems with it.

Update: Doh! I found a bug that I introduced into this no audio boost version. Seems that I broke music playback O_O. I fixed it and updated the above link. Sorry to those that download the other version -_- . . .

Last edited:

wildmonks

Nov 8, 2007
That was my result with linpack and this kernel!

5y8cqe.jpg

forgot to setcpu doh
44.738 mflops :p

upd.. and bootloop =)

Tested on quadrant again and I got a whopping 1668...thats the highest ive seen my phone do...

Interesting observation you all are getting. Must be the combination of BFS and OC? But I would not be surprised if battery life suffers a little... But very cool nonetheless :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After being a long time lurker here in XDA and having successfully fulfilled some requests on another thread, I thought I'd try to give something to the great community here.

You probably remember Ivan's kernels that provided the community with a version of intersectRaven's Hybrid AVS with 1113MHz overclocking. Unfortunately it looks like Ivan been very busy and is unable to update his kernels. So I have provided recent updates of intersectRaven's truly awesome kernels that includes the 1113MHz overclock for you all to enjoy. (I see this request a lot so maybe now intersectRaven won't be bothered by it again :))

I absolutely take no creative credit in making these kernels as all I have done is used the open source code on intersectRaven's github and compiled it. The real credit goes to all the other coders here in this forum (cyan, pershoot, and especially intersectRaven).

When time permits, I'll try to update these kernels when improvements and/or bug fixes are made but I realistically only see myself updating these once or twice a week.

I'm open to requests (like no audio boost) and such. Just let me know the one kernel you want modified and if its within my ability, I'll make one for you when time permits. I have not yet made a super all-in-one compiling script, so it would take me far too long to make a requested modification on all versions. Edit: Due to having virtually no free time, I don't think I can get fulfill requests in a timely manner... I'll try but I can't promise it. So sorry everyone -_-;

If you have the time and the will, I highly suggest you learn how to compile for yourself as I find it pretty fun and rewarding to make something for yourself. Guides and instructions can be found throughout the XDA forum and also on Cyanogen's wiki.

Before updating with these kernels, all I ask is that you make a nandroid backup in case something goes wrong.

Q & A:
    -What's the difference between CFS and BFS?
    See this short post for the difference between Completely Fair Scheduler and Brain F*** Scheduler. In summery, CFS is better for multitasking, BFS is better for user interactions (keyboard, homescreen swiping, etc).

-What's the difference between SVS and AVS?
    Static Voltage Scaling will change the voltage based on a set table created by the kernel maker. Example: At a certain speed, say 245MHz, 925mV is feed into the CPU. At 998MHz, 1225mV is used.
    Adaptive Voltage Scaling will change the voltage depending on temperature and CPU needs. Personally, AVS is running rock solid for me but I can't say for sure if it will be for everyone so SVS kernels will continue to be made available.

-What is this "No Audio Boost Version"?
    Many of the custom kernels posted in this forum and the kernels used by default in the CM6 roms have this feature where it increases the loudness of the speakers during calls. Its been reported that some bluetooth headsets are overly sensitive to the increased loudness and some have reported that it distorts the audio quality even though volume has been lowered by the user. Due to an overwhelming request to make a kernel without this feature, I have included a separate set with each release that does not boost the volume.

-Can you make a higher overclock version of your kernel?
    I was really against this because when I first tried to do this, my phone got really hot. But the requests kept on coming so I revisted this and possibly discovered a way to keep the temperature under control by limiting the max voltage to 1300mV. You'll find a 1190MHz version of my kernel here (Mirror Link).. Most users should be able to handle 1152MHz without any problems but some won't on 1190MHz. You'll know when your CPU can't handle a certain speed if you start to experience a sudden decrease in performance, lag, force closes, and spontaneous reboots. This won't be alievated unless more voltage is feed to the CPU but I'm not comfortable going beyond 1300mV. Now before you try these kernels out I gotta say this. I am not responsible if these kernels result in damaging your phone. Its purely for testing purposes and I really dont recommend using it as your everyday use kernel. If you do continue to use it, you should limit the max to 1113MHz or better yet 1075MHz (see previous question for the reason) if you care about battery life.

-I'm getting a black screen whenever I launch the camera app. Why? (720p related question)
    The latest kernels with the 720p code only works with roms that has the 720p stock camera app and now the HTC camera app on Enomther's [ROM] as of 8/10/10. The latest cm6 nightly that has the 720p camera app as well as a few other roms out there that are based on cm6. You can try flashing charnsingh_online zip that contains the updated camera app if you don't want to use the nightly but I don't know for sure if his camera app is compatible with roms under RC2. Another alternative is to send in a request for a custom kernel and I'll make one for you without the 720p code.

2.6.38 kernels:
    (Tested on Cyanogenmod 7 Nightlies)
    Grab the kernels here: Mediafire

-Changes since 090311
    -Set default sleep ideal freq to 128mhz for smartassV2 governor
    -Bug fix for 1190MHz kernels, properly set max voltage to 1325mV
    -Compiled HAVS 1190MHz kernels for those phone that can handle it

-Changes since 062411
    Rebase source from IntersectRaven's Github
    Highlights include:

-msm: Add support for voice call recording
    -PM: Back off suspend if repeated attempts fail
    -lib/sha1: use the git implementation of SHA-1
    -arm: remove “optimized” SHA1 routines
    -Fix AVS thread not being started.
    -Added erasmux’s Smartass governor Version 2

-Changes since 062311
    -Fixed ext4 partition support on sdcard.

-Changes since 052711
    -Rebase to kernel version 2.6.38.8 from IntersectRaven's Github, with it 2 new governors (InteractiveX and SavageZen)

-Changes since 052611
    -Rebased kernel source from intersectRaven's Github With it comes the smartass governor (default set to ondemand because I like it better)
    -Revert WiFi souce code used in previous release. (Didn't want to take a chance in WiFi not working for some.)

-Changes since 042111
    -Rebased kernel source from intersectRaven’s Github With it comes the smartass governor (default set to ondemand because I like it better)
    -Revert WiFi souce code used in previous release. (Didn’t want to take a chance in WiFi not working for some.)

-Changes since 040911
    -Bug fixes relating to USB file transfer speeds and addressed probable cause of WiFi problems for some.

Reverted back to 041110 and battery file is great again. With Juice Defender, I manage to have 40% left 12 hours after medium usage.

You should have just reflashed the same kernel... all fine here, but I run the higher voltage kernels because theyre more stable on my phone (plus run cooler and have better battery life because the processor isn't being undervolted to the point of having issues/errors/studders/freezing etc).

NOT ALL PHONES WILL BE STABLE WITH THE DEFAULT VOLTAGES USED BY UNDERVOLTED KERNELS
    THATS WHY THE CUSTOM ONES ARE THERE.
    :D
    What options should be changed in the parent "automatic backlight" menus?

Light sensor filter?

Use custom obviously

Allow light decrease?

Yes. If you are interested, these are my settings:

light sensor=enabled
    window length=10s
    reset threshold=1500 lux
    sample interval=1s
    use custom=checked
    screen dim level=22
    allow light decrease=checked
    decrease hysteria=50%
    edit other levels:
    0-49 =35
    50-199=45
    200-399=60
    400-499=70
    500-599=75
    600-699=80
    700-799=90
    800-999=115
    1000-1999=141
    2000-2999=191
    3000-<>=255
    How about this..

intersectraven.euroskank.com/kernels/Nexus%20One/2.6.38.8/20120112_14XX/
    Hey Wildmonks,

I've been bouncing back and forth between the 1050mV SVS CFS kernel (dec4) and the custom 975mv-svs-cfs-1300mv@1133mhz kernels (dec4).

The first is rock solid at everything except once in a while at 1133mhz and 1152mhz. The second is rock solid at 1133mhz, but crashes once in a while when waking up or changing from low to higher clock speeds.

If you have time could you build one (or two more) custom kernels for me to test?

I'm looking for a mix of the two I mentioned.

Ideally it would be 1050mV as shown in the 1050mv SVS voltage tables (since I don't have any issues with 1050mV kernels at lower speeds) and the 1300mV@1133mhz kernel --- with the exception being I want to test 1152mhz at 1325mV..... my phone isn't stable at all at 1190@1325mV but its mostly stable with 1300mV at 1152mhz. I think 1325mV might be enough to make it stable...

...My phone doesn't like 1190mhz at all. Locks up after a minute even with 1325mV. I wouldn't think rasing the voltage higher would be a good idea (what do the stock voltage tables top out at?)

Thanks!

Here yah go. Let me know how well (or not) it works for you.

2.6.35.9_SVS-1050mV_CFS_AXI_720p_1152MHz@1325mV_Custom_121310.zip
    2.6.35.9_SVS-1050mV_CFS_AXI_720p_NoAB_1152MHz@1325mV_Custom_121310.zip

To answer your question, it looks like stock tops out at 1275mV @ 998MHz.

Reference, the voltage table used in this custom kernel that I made for you looks like this.

And no.. I won't compile kernels higher than 1325mV.

If this kernel works for you, I'll add this configuration to my custom kernel compling script so that it gets made in each release. (BTW: I'll start working on a release towards the end of the week).