Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread

Snow755

Jan 26, 2012
Sonora
guss will find out in 24 hrs from now

i think its android 2.3.6 or 2.3.7 but still this is a big upgrade from 2.3.3

It is not going to be ice cream sandwich. The update ota size is 67mb. So I think its going to be at least 2.3.4 and the news from Sony this Tuesday is that PlayStation store will be available Tuesday or Wednesday. And that in order for r800x users to access it they need the firmware updated. Of course we will have to wait. These are just my thoughts.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
It is not going to be ice cream sandwich. The update ota size is 67mb. So I think its going to be at least 2.3.4 and the news from Sony this Tuesday is that PlayStation store will be available Tuesday or Wednesday. And that in order for r800x users to access it they need the firmware updated. Of course we will have to wait. These are just my thoughts.

If you edit your first post, you can change the title, so it stops throwing people off :D (And you already know my thoughts on the OTA :D)

eeeek why tusday

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

and i say it will be android 2.3.6 or 2.3.7

Nope, no way, it's only 60ish mbs... anybody remember how big the .88 update was? :D

Pax

Snow755

Jan 26, 2012
Sonora
If you edit your first post, you can change the title, so it stops throwing people off :D (And you already know my thoughts on the OTA :D)

Nope, no way, it's only 60ish mbs... anybody remember how big the .88 update was? :D

Pax

this be come some in is 67mb dos not mean it nots android 2.3.6 or android 2.3.7 or even 4.0 will this have too wait and find out

so may be it is andoid 2.3.6 or may be its not will this need too wait and see

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

by the way has any one noted that 67mb on the software updates is the biges of them all why evere thing else is like 4mb up too 66mb

verizon2.jpg

xperia64

Mar 19, 2012
play.google.com
When 2.3.3 was "released" for the r800x back some time in October-Novemberish, I didn't get it until mid December. Looks like I'll have to wait til the beginning of June to get whatever form of android is going to be released....

KeiranFTW

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
its probably an update, maybe a 2.3.4 incremental update, and any bets its a "security update" and contains root patches.
Anyway, it won't be ICS, unless they have made a new method of compression.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ PLAY using Tapatalk 2

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I do remember on one of my older Android phones, we got an update to prepare for the next actual upgrade. While I highly doubt that's the case here, there's always the possibility.

On another note, any guesses on how many noobs will rage/whine-post about the ota breaking root? I'm already saying there'll be too many to count.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
I do remember on one of my older Android phones, we got an update to prepare for the next actual upgrade. While I highly doubt that's the case here, there's always the possibility.

On another note, any guesses on how many noobs will rage/whine-post about the ota breaking root? I'm already saying there'll be too many to count.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Thats why I'm happy that we have Pax as a mod :D

Reactions: 216Monster
D

Deleted member 4493700

20 years later: "hey verizon finally released ics for xperia play, wait but i got rid of that play 18 years ago."

KeiranFTW

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
OTA Root keeper probably won't work. If you have an unblocked BL (via test point) then you can try it, if not, you are locked, don't update till root status is known, and also, if you unlocked the sony way, don't move until an FTF is posted.

DubleJayJ

Jan 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
OTA Root keeper probably won't work. If you have an unblocked BL (via test point) then you can try it, if not, you are locked, don't update till root status is known, and also, if you unlocked the sony way, don't move until an FTF is posted.

It works. Took out my root, then tested it on a root app. Didn't recognize root at all. Restored root, and then it recognized root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
    2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
    3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
    4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
    5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
    7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
    8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.
    I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?