[Nook HD/HD+] Ubuntu Touch 13.10 "Saucy" [Project Abandoned]

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 2092952

Hmmm. Has anybody made progress on that? Could we use the boot.img from a working cm10.1?

Had tried that. Made it a bit further but still failed hard. Did check adb which did not start yet, but don't remember checking for kmsg - probably wouldn't exist anyway as have not seen one yet.

Jun 23, 2012
Orange Park
I can't even figure out how to get the image compiled. I can't find the right files, or anything. I'll probably start from scratch when it is officially released

D

Deleted member 2092952

If you pulled in all the files at the start of the guide (not missed anything), its all setup quite good. Don't need any .repo changes and very few code changes for building:

The problem is that you need the blobs which are obtained from unzipping the cm device build (manually; via script [via adb] appears to be a bit broken - though playing around with it can help you find the vendor directory locations?) and bt proprietary files from the internet in order compile it. These files go in specific directories inside the vendor dir.

I also needed an entire directory from google. Its actually there already but for whatever reason different and breaks compiling at the end.

...oh, some code additions too to add in device directories like the guide says.

If it asks for a file called empty or whatever it was called, just create an empty file or search and copy one of the others which are 0 bytes anyway... and that's all it needed there.

There probably are a few more files to add in along the way.

this patch was needed as well http://paste.ubuntu.com/5883021/

That might be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jun 23, 2012
Orange Park
If you pulled in all the files at the start of the guide (not missed anything), its all setup quite good. Don't need any .repo changes and very few code changes for building:

The problem is that you need the blobs which are obtained from unzipping the cm device build (manually; via script [via adb] appears to be a bit broken - though playing around with it can help you find the vendor directory locations?) and bt proprietary files from the internet in order compile it. These files go in specific directories inside the vendor dir.

I also needed an entire directory from google. Its actually there already but for whatever reason different and breaks compiling at the end.

...oh, some code additions too to add in device directories like the guide says.

If it asks for a file called empty or whatever it was called, just create an empty file or search and copy one of the others which are 0 bytes anyway... and that's all it needed there.

There probably are a few more files to add in along the way.

this patch was needed as well http://paste.ubuntu.com/5883021/

That might be it.

My laptop is acting weird, but I could post the files, it whatever you need from my nook, which is on cm10.1. Just let me know what to do.

wesnoth

Oct 7, 2013
I have created bootable system image. It start form sdcard. Works only base system, adbd and android into lxc (display, touch, wifi, etc don't work). If anybody can rebuild system in right way (because I used some file from cyanogenmod without rebuild, ex.: libwpa_client.so, libhardware_legacy.so) I can write how to create bootable sdcard.

UPD:

Look here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46312567&postcount=31

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2092952

Here is the thread from that guy. http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/wip-dev-ubuntu-touch-13-10.6109/ we may be able to port that, since he got that working. Is that feasible?

Guess there could maybe be a way to drop in certain files but if any of the changes for fixing boot are ones with device specific code... I might not know where to look. I still am not good with github but will check out his code over the next few days. Thanks :good:

edit: Briefly browsed the files. Some interesting bits. Will test this stuff starting tomorrow.

wesnoth

Oct 7, 2013
OK. I created bootable emmc image. All what we need is:
  • green loader : http:goo.gl/ki9xez,
  • mkbootimg: http:goo.gl/Tx4vz5",
  • kernel and ramdisk.img from your ubuntu-touch build directory.
  1. Next, create boot.img with mkbootimg:
    Code:
    mkbootimg --kernel kernel --ramdisk ramdisk.img --base 0x80000000 --cmdline 'androidboot.console=ttyO0 console=ttyO0,115200n8 def_disp=lcd2' --pagesize 4096 -o new_boot.img
  2. After, concat green loader and new_boot.img:
    Code:
    cat new_boot.img >> head.img
    , and replace boot.img in zip update file with just created.
  3. Flash zip file from recovery
  4. Reboot device
  5. adb push android-ramdisk.img /boot/
It work, but looks ugly.

wesnoth

Oct 7, 2013
Some photos. Image does not fill the entire screen and not fully visible. Touch and wifi works.

UPD: +1 screenshot with ro.sf.hwrotation=0; screen now is fine, but touch is rotated :(

Attachments

• 2013-10-09-181418.jpg
    2013-10-09-181418.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 509
  • 2013-10-09-181430.jpg
    2013-10-09-181430.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 505
  • 2013-10-09-181457.jpg
    2013-10-09-181457.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 472
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

gmicalzoma

Jan 15, 2013
This is Exciting!!! For now I have settle for Stock Rom with unknown sources and root enabled (thanks lepinlar & verygreen) using Next Launcher and it runs faster than any other ROM I have tried on SDCARD or EMMC (CM 10.1, CM10.2, Carbon and Xperia Carbon) on my Nook HD+

But Ubuntu is what I'm waiting for! I like using linux on the Desktop (PinguyOS) and on Server (CentOS 6) so can't wait for Ubuntu Touch to be available for the Nook HD+!!!

Thanks in advance to all that are working hard to get this available :good:

Jun 23, 2012
Orange Park
Good. I don't know much about coding, but I could test. I also tend to be really obsessive so I will be researching this every day.

D

Deleted member 2092952

Well, learned more but nearly out of ideas again. Nothing I tried from looking at that devices code has done a single thing.

Might try pinpointing the exact problem in the next few days otherwise right now possibly will wait until the next port guide revision and hope it works then.

Edit: Progress ?

The fstab file the port guide talks about wasn't being included in the android-ramdisk.img. Has to be manually added. D'oh! Guess I finally know where the note in the guide was actually talking about. Reading it still confuses me. lol.

It has lengethened the boot time from 7 seconds to nearly 11 (my timing could be off a bit). So still something going on. Still nothing in the logs. But sweet progress.

Edit: I don't know if the fstab.$device file is good or not for booting. Devs of working ports have it included yet touch chat (maining list?) public entries has someone saying to get boot working first and not to worry about that file. All my tests with it failed yet all tests without it fail.

Reactions: bpaulien
D

Deleted member 2092952

Yay we got a bootable build working! We just need to get the files together and make a thread for this.

I didn't notice that before my post. lol.

Some photos. Image does not fill the entire screen and not fully visible. Touch and wifi works.

UPD: +1 screenshot with ro.sf.hwrotation=0; screen now is fine, but touch is rotated :(

Good stuff and good work wesnoth.

But, is that for the flipped build or old non-flipped preview? Don't see anything there for the flipped builds as the boot.img isn't all that's needed.

wesnoth

Oct 7, 2013
System in photos from other thread is flipped (android into lxc).
There are no fstab required into android-ramdisk.img.
70-ovation.rules was created with command from manual (http: goo.gl / 1XsLAC).
Other files (like bluetooth-touch-ovation.conf, ubuntu-touch-session.d/ovation.conf) was created as as copy of existed defaults.

P.S. While I have less then 10 posts, I cant create posts into developer threads. Thats why I will create them into "general" thread.
P.P.S. I will upload bootable image after fixing reversed touch (accelerometer is done)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PROJECT ABANDONED AS OF 11/27/2016
    I have little knowledge on how to get this rom working. If someone would like to take over then start a new thread. On top of this, it's currently unclear the state of the Ubuntu Touch project as a whole.

Welcome to Ubuntu Touch for Nook HD
    Ubuntu Touch is a project from Canonical that aims to create a mobile, touch friendly, unique operating system.

DISCLAIMER
    I DO NOT claim to know what I'm doing, half the time I do not, lol.
    Installing/flashing anything discussed in this thread is at your own risk. Things break, code is never 100% perfect, I'm not responsible if your device is bricked.

INSTALLATION

Thanks to user ShotSkydiver we have a Hummingbird build! I will post install details later once I get this up on my device.​

OK. I created bootable emmc image. All what we need is:
    • green loader : http:goo.gl/ki9xez,
    • mkbootimg: http:goo.gl/Tx4vz5",
    • kernel and ramdisk.img from your ubuntu-touch build directory.
    1. Next, create boot.img with mkbootimg:
      Code:
      mkbootimg --kernel kernel --ramdisk ramdisk.img --base 0x80000000 --cmdline 'androidboot.console=ttyO0 console=ttyO0,115200n8 def_disp=lcd2' --pagesize 4096 -o new_boot.img
    2. After, concat green loader and new_boot.img:
      Code:
      cat new_boot.img >> head.img
      , and replace boot.img in zip update file with just created.
    3. Flash zip file from recovery
    4. Reboot device
    5. adb push android-ramdisk.img /boot/
    It work, but looks ugly.
    Update: ovation-configs-touch.zip

• 18-11-2013 Included alsa ucm files. Sound works throught the speaker and 3.5mm jack. Only playback (no capture).
    • 21-11-2013
      • Included "bluetooth-touch-ovation.conf" (init script for upstart).
      • Included "config-ovation.xml" (config file for powerd)
      • "70-ovation.rules" moved to the right place.

What to do after installation:
    1. adb shell
    2. nmcli -pretty dev wifi connect <SSID> password <Password> (or setup wi-fi from GUI)
    3. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (will return error about "initramfs-tools", it is normal)
    Did the dirty hack to fix reversed touch (actually Barnes & Noble did it before me).

Link to ubuntu-20131010-UNOFFICIAL-ovation.zip: http://goo.gl/3udgQV
    Link to android-ramdisk.img : http://goo.gl/F4LmE5 (put it into /data/ubuntu/boot)