[APP][4/5/6/7+] GMD GestureControl ★ root

Search This thread

sdfghi

Nov 16, 2011
Tap gestures are great! And the two finger double tap for alt-tab sounds good too. Btw do the taps depend on pressure values? Because from the trackpad logs I remember you said there were no pressure values. I was trying to get taps to work with the trackpad ( two finger single tab for alt-tab) and sometimes it would work but mostly it wouldnt.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

GAZ082

Jun 8, 2010
Hi Stupid, :laugh:

This is the fastest app i've ever purchased. Just tested it for 5 minutes and hit Purchase.

However, since i installed your app, i'm having an issue with too much Stay Awake time. Might be related to your app?

n4v3Dnf228e9OFD_Wi671wYTJQ_Ry_4Q9KgI3kOZ2GvKAvcLsWIm9B6JOTwioL5Ntd_cM6ZUZFU

Thanks!

Reactions: Am_rA

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
Tap gestures don't use pressure, but different devices register touch up events differently, so it is possible that current implementation does not work on all devices. If you have difficulties, post your device and I will check if I have protocol sample.

Other thing is that application will launch action as soon as it reaches required tap count. So you cannot have 2 points 2 taps and 3 taps with same starting zone. Simply then 2 taps action will always launch. I'm thinking about other options how to achieve it (like waiting for timeout before triggering). so this might change.

Hi Stupid, :laugh:
This is the fastest app i've ever purchased. Just tested it for 5 minutes and hit Purchase.
However, since i installed your app, i'm having an issue with too much Stay Awake time. Might be related to your app?
n4v3Dnf228e9OFD_Wi671wYTJQ_Ry_4Q9KgI3kOZ2GvKAvcLsWIm9B6JOTwioL5Ntd_cM6ZUZFU

Thanks!

So far no one complained with recent versions. Install Cpu Spy (simple free app, don't even require root), reset counters after charging. And see if device is going to deep sleep. If not, try stopping or uninstalling my application and see if it solves the issue.
In normal case application is active only while screen is on and battery usage should be unnoticeable. On my device it does not even appear in battery statistics.

If you confirm that batter drain or deepsleep problem happens only when application is installed and are willing to test fixed versions I will gladly investigate it. Anyone else think application drains battery or prevents deep sleep on their devices?

This is freaking awesome! I was looking forward to this. $5 extra donation - I am just really stoked with your continuous commitment to this awesome app. This app really is a game changer for what I'd call 'power' users for Android

I will play with it and let you know how it goes.

As for suggestions: the ALT-TAB for default tap is a great idea. Perhaps also add another default tap gesture (perhaps 3 taps?) to show the recent list of apps (although this might be tricky, if user did not specify a launchpad for it yet, where do you display it? Center? - otherwise you might want to display the launcher with recent app list user already specified. I would not put much effort in it though; just a suggestion.

Cheers!

Thanks for donation.
There is already default gesture for recent apps: 3 fingers upwards. It shows bottom LaunchPad that is set to display recent apps by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiho5

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
something which I think is important:
I'm using HTC one x
there is a very noticeable lag when you make a 2 finger gesture on the sense home screen. I think that this is because home desktop screen has actions which you can do with 2 fingers associated with it, such as punching.
I just hate this delay and therefore decided to check what happens if I activate the option for gmd gesture control to consume more than 2 finger gestures for the other applications.

and indeed the 2 finger gestures on the home screen started working perfectly and they became instant in activation.
BUT:
when I am using internet browser the punch zoom isn't working now...
so I think it is important to have the option "consume multi touch events" for specific apps. not for all of them as a whole.

may be this means too much changing and work, but it is true that majority of gestures and commands for actions are done from the home screen. this kind of lag impairs the whole feeling about the entire gmd gesture control. it makes it work not to the extent it can perform. and also I believe that 2 finger gestures are amongst the most common with everyone.

what do you think? I really hope that at least only home can be excluded separately somehow. I'm hoping very much to have this in the next update, which is so close now, as I gather after I tested the dev version.

polstein

Sep 9, 2007
* Added 'Tap' gestures. You can create it in custom gestures. Enter multiple T in gesture path.

I plan adding new default gesture: double tap with 2 fingers for Alt-tab. Any better suggestions?

I like the idea of the double-tap, and alt-tab makes sense for it. I'll try making a custom gesture for it.

How much umm.. 'error correction' would that have? I'm thinking when one finger hits a biiit before the other one. Does that register as two 1-finger taps or is there a little wiggle room in there?

Funny, I was just drumming my fingers on my desk wondering how an app like this would work with 3 fingers taping in different sequences like you were a trumpet player or something :)

Very interested to see how people will use this feature.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
something which I think is important:
I'm using HTC one x
there is a very noticeable lag when you make a 2 finger gesture on the sense home screen. I think that this is because home desktop screen has actions which you can do with 2 fingers associated with it, such as punching.
I just hate this delay and therefore decided to check what happens if I activate the option for gmd gesture control to consume more than 2 finger gestures for the other applications.

and indeed the 2 finger gestures on the home screen started working perfectly and they became instant in activation.
BUT:
when I am using internet browser the punch zoom isn't working now...
so I think it is important to have the option "consume multi touch events" for specific apps. not for all of them as a whole.

may be this means too much changing and work, but it is true that majority of gestures and commands for actions are done from the home screen. this kind of lag impairs the whole feeling about the entire gmd gesture control. it makes it work not to the extent it can perform. and also I believe that 2 finger gestures are amongst the most common with everyone.

what do you think? I really hope that at least only home can be excluded separately somehow. I'm hoping very much to have this in the next update, which is so close now, as I gather after I tested the dev version.

Thanks for donation. By the way does it work out of the box with One X or do you have to do some 'Override' ?
Technically I could do it, but this sounds really complicated from UI side. Blacklist with option for each items :eek:. It won't make to this update.
I feel like I want to start removing options, not adding new ones :) So if I add this it won't be before I split setting screen into Simple and Advanced modes.
But this is very good find. I'm still wondering why it helps improve performance. Anyone else tried that?

Last edited:

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Thanks for donation. By the way does it work out of the box with One X or do you have to do some 'Override' ?
Technically I could do it, but this sounds really complicated from UI side. Blacklist with option for each items :eek:. It won't make to this update.
I feel like I want to start removing options, not adding new ones :) So if I add this it won't be before I split setting screen into Simple and Advanced modes.
But this is very good find. I'm still wondering why it helps improve performance. Anyone else tried that?

I'm not sure what are you asking in your first line, but can report that GMD works perfect on HTC ONE X. I have experience with gestures ever since WinMo and I am using them heavily, so I know what I am talking about.

**All excluding the ones made from the home screen...
I can assure you that in HTC One this lag is really, really noticeable and I would say it is even annoying to make gestures from the home screen. In fact I started never doing them on the home. I am always pressing the shortcut to my task switcher app and only then over its window I make the gestures.
So it is really impairing some part of the use of such genius product as GMD. A part which is not that small and insignificant to neglect, I think.
I am asking/urging other HTC One X users to confirm.
I assure you, that this will generally improve the performance.
Please, make a compromise: put and option somewhere: "consume multitouch evets for home screen (htc one x users only)"
As I said I am a power user and this home screen bothers me.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I'm not sure what are you asking in your first line, but can report that GMD works perfect on HTC ONE X. I have experience with gestures ever since WinMo and I am using them heavily, so I know what I am talking about.

**All excluding the ones made from the home screen...
I can assure you that in HTC One this lag is really, really noticeable and I would say it is even annoying to make gestures from the home screen. In fact I started never doing them on the home. I am always pressing the shortcut to my task switcher app and only then over its window I make the gestures.
So it is really impairing some part of the use of such genius product as GMD. A part which is not that small and insignificant to neglect, I think.
I am asking/urging other HTC One X users to confirm.
I assure you, that this will generally improve the performance.
Please, make a compromise: put and option somewhere: "consume multitouch evets for home screen (htc one x users only)"
As I said I am a power user and this home screen bothers me.

If consumption helps to overcome lag, then simply assigning starting zone to custom gesture should solve this, because when starting gesture from starting zone it will start consuming events. Did you try that and does it help? I understand that you are using 2 finger gestures. So basically you are using 2 hands. Then you can keep 1 fingers on starting zone and draw gesture with other finger. It is actually more convenient this way. I myself use singletouch gestures on phone with starting zones. General ones are:
1) R (Left center 1/3) - Left LaunchPad
2) U (Bottom left 1/3) - Bottom LaunchPad with recent apps
3) U (Bottom right 1/3) - Home
4) L-D (Right top 1/3) - Screen off

------------------
Updated development version. This time implemented some complex code. Changed:
Intelligent tap gestures
* Now is possible to have different number of taps for different actions:
Example: Starting zone 'Anywhere', point count '2'. You can have one gesture with T-T (2 taps) and one gesture with T-T-T (3 taps) both will be recognized.
* Now you can tap 1 finger while just keeping others on screen.
* 'Piano play' will be detected as multitouch tap - not sure how to explain better, but if you tap 1 finger, release it and tap other one fast, it will register like 2 finger tap. (This one is intentional to allow errors, but lets see if it causes misfires in games or something. Might need some tweaking still).

Intelligent custom gestures and 'Evaluate on Release' changes
* Now application will detect your gesture paths collisions automatically, so if you have gestures (for same zone and finger count):
1) L
2) L-D

Then if 'Evaluate on Release' is OFF, first gesture will execute only on release and second one - immediately when drawn.
If 'Evaluate on Release' is ON, then both will execute only on screen release as before.

For tap gestures 'Evaluate on Release' means if application should wait for more taps even if there are no gestures with more taps (for that zone and finger count). So if you have:
1) T-T
2) T-T-T
Then if 'Evaluate on Release' is OFF, first gesture will execute only after 0.5 seconds (waiting for more taps) and second gesture executes immediately. If you delete second gesture then first one will start executing immediately.
If 'Evaluate on Release' is ON, then both will execute only if no more taps are registered in next 0.5 seconds.

Fixed calibration values not updated in 'Advanced' tab UI
Calibration was actually saved, just value displayed value not updated.
------------------
What these changes actually mean is that you don't have to think about gestures paths collisions anymore. Application will take care of that automatically. So event if you have a complex gestures you can turn 'Evaluate on release OFF' and application will trigger gesture action as soon as possible.

Development version

P.S: If you bought full version and feel like trying development version, PM me your email and I will generate key to unlock all features.

Last edited:

polstein

Sep 9, 2007

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
On the dev version exclude app from previous/next app list doesn't seem to work with me. I added my task manager to this black list, but when doing alt+tab I end up switching between the last app I chose from the task manager and the task manager itself.

I have the same settings in the previous GMD version, but it works there.

anybody else have the same experience?

Reactions: StupidIdea

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
On the dev version exclude app from previous/next app list doesn't seem to work with me. I added my task manager to this black list, but when doing alt+tab I end up switching between the last app I chose from the task manager and the task manager itself.

I have the same settings in the previous GMD version, but it works there.

anybody else have the same experience?

Looks like all blacklists are broken in development version. Will be fixed.

You know I was kidding about the 'trumpet' thing I mentioned earlier today, right? :D
I remember you mentioning this as a possibility a bit ago. I might have to re-think my gestures again! (this is a good thing)

I wanted to be able to tap 1 finger, while keeping others on screen. After some testing I think I will restrict 'piano' thing, so at least at start all fingers will be required to be on screen at the same time. Good thing that with current implementation I have a lot of options to tune all aspects of taps registration.

Last edited:

aerobharath

Jul 11, 2012
Oxford
Guys I love this app.. I have been using it for a while... Can I make some suggestions please?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Looks like all blacklists are broken in development version. Will be fixed.

I wanted to be able to tap 1 finger, while keeping others on screen. After some testing I think I will restrict 'piano' thing, so at least at start all fingers will be required to be on screen at the same time. Good thing that with current implementation I have a lot of options to tune all aspects of taps registration.

I made a gesture with 2 finder double tap and 3 fingers single tap. I love them. But once I started typing on the keyboard when tapping letters quickly one after another, both gestures are invoked spontaneously even though I'm typing with a single finger. It's just that the taps are so close in time to each other (I'm typing quickly I guess). It's something like the piano tapping you're discussing I guess.

Therefore I suggest/advise that such gestures have to have the option not to be allowed when keyboard is active. Its good that you have added this option.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Guys I love this app.. I have been using it for a while... Can I make some suggestions please?

I think it's ok, mate. Suggestions and questions are what we all make here. We all need ideas for new gestures and ideas for more operations of this useful app. :)

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011

I'm always open to new suggestions.

I made a gesture with 2 finder double tap and 3 fingers single tap. I love them. But once I started typing on the keyboard when tapping letters quickly one after another, both gestures are invoked spontaneously even though I'm typing with a single finger. It's just that the taps are so close in time to each other (I'm typing quickly I guess). It's something like the piano tapping you're discussing I guess.

Therefore I suggest/advise that such gestures have to have the option not to be allowed when keyboard is active. Its good that you have added this option.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

I think it's ok, mate. Suggestions and questions are what we all make here. We all need ideas for new gestures and ideas for more operations of this useful app. :)

Yes, I noticed the same. I will adjust it, so only real multitouch can trigger multitouch tap.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
I'm always open to new suggestions.

Yes, I noticed the same. I will adjust it, so only real multitouch can trigger multitouch tap.

:) indeed you are perfectionist. Please, let us know when ready. I'll test it and report. :good:

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

You were right to want to adjust this! I just found that it makes the same when I am typing on my phone dialer keys.

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Updated development version:
* fixed blacklist
* changed multitouch tap to start counting only when all required fingers are on screen for first tap.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Updated development version. I really need feedback on this. Is it working well, or should I revert it:
* Click through trigger zones.
Basically trigger zones (i.e. starting zone of gestures that start from border or portion of border) will not consume clicks in that area, only swipes. Idea is that it should still prevent accidental scroll, but allow clicking icons that overlay with trigger zone.

Development version

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The setting doesn't disable multitouch events. It just disables that GMD "consumes" multitouch events, i.e., as I would understand it, intercepts them if there are any multitouch gestures are configured elsewhere.

Of course I have configured multitouch gestures in GMD (in fact, only ones with 3 and 4 fingers).

I suspect that, if something goes wrong in that interception process, for instance when GMD gets killed just when a gesture is processed, the freeze happens.
    By the way, I have set "Border size" and "Gesture size adjustment" in GMDs Device Setup section to minimum value so that there is minimal time for other gestures to interfere. Also make sure that all gestures in launcher (for example Nova) are disabled.
    Control device with mutitouch and multitask gestures similar to iPad or iPhone X. Works in all applications. Hide status bar, hide navigation bar and enjoy full screen in all apps and games.

"For those who tend to get tired of Android's status bar, or just want more intuitive gesture-based controls on their tablet, this app is definitely worth a shot." - Android Police

Android 4.0 (ICS) - 8.1 (Oreo) supported
    REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS
    No system modifications or xposed, just a regular app.

★ This is free version - no ads
    ★ Gestures work anywhere on screen and all time - no triggers required
    ★ Multitask - start any application, shortcut or custom action without leaving current application
    ★ Swipe left or right to switch between running applications
    ★ Home and Back gestures that work in all apps anywhere on screen
    ★ Access LaunchPad from any app - dialog with recent apps, your applications, shortcuts and custom actions
    ★ Hide status bar and Navigation Bar - enjoy full screen in all apps and games
    ★ Custom gestures - create your own gestures to start any application, shortcut or custom action, unlimited possibilities, hundreds of possible gestures.
    ★ Assign different actions per app or even lock screen.
    ★ Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    ★ It does not use overlays and does not make your apps and keyboard unresponsive like other gesture apps.

Check XDA forum for discussion:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1535740

All available actions:
    Applications - start assigned application, switch to previous/next running app, kill current application, start launcher shortcut(bookmark, contacts, call, sms, settings, etc), start Tasker task, LaunchPad
    Navigation - full screen (hide/show status and navigation bar), home, back, recent apps, menu, search, voice search, open notifications
    Browser actions - back, forward, refresh new tab, close tab, incognito tab, next/previous tab, bookmarks, find in page, search, history, jump to page start/end
    Buttons - home, back, menu, screen off (lock screen), Power menu, Volume
    Media and Music - Play, Pause, Stop, Volume, Mute sound
    Settings - show settings panel, toggle rotation, wifi, bluetooth
    Gestures - disable/enable gestures with gesture, exit Gesture Control

Market:
    GMD Gesture Control Lite
    If you like my application, please rate it in market. Thanks.

market_qrcode.png

Tags: Hide bar, gesture, gesture control, status bar, system bar, full screen, Honeybar, ICS, SwypePad, iPad, multitouch, multitask, multitasking
    Thanks, PhilipTD, for generous donation :highfive:
    As a sigh on gratitude I built you latest development version of Gesture Control with Lollipop support. This is the first time I'm sending someone lollipop update.
    Quite a few features do not work but still it is usable :eek:
    Please let me know if you did not receive it.

Progress update:
    I'm currently working on Spen Control lollipop support but a lot of internal thing are common. However UI part is separate and while I updated Spen Control to 'material', GC is still holo.
    I will be releasing SPen Control first with refreshed ui and lollipop support but I want to make bigger update for GC and add/rework many things that were discussed here or I just have in mind. Some things are already implemented but need to be merged into master some still need to be done. Main idea is to clean up GC so it is more intuitive to new users but more advanced features still will be available when digging deeper into settings.
    1) One good example would be path and recorded gestures. In new version I want to join them in one dialog. So user can pick from predefined set of path gestures (swipe left, swipe right, double tap, expand, pinch, etc.) or record it but entering custom path string still will be accessible. At the moment it is confusing for new users they would they want to enter path instead of recording (pinch for example).
    2) Another example is launchpad settings. Currently its confusing that you have to select which launchpad you want to configure. In new version settings will be accessible directly from launchpad instead and configure particular launchpad.
    3) Blacklist - each gesture will have option to select apps where it is active/inactive. General blacklist will be simplified where you can select if gestures are enabled/disabled in homescreen, apps, lockscreen and keyboard.
    4) Default gestures - I will remove default gestures tab and pre-create these in User Gestures for new users. Lite version will have limited number of available actions but users still can change gestures for these actions.
    5) Settings, touch consumption, Advanced tabs, Help will be moved to menu. App will be Gestures view.
    6) Touch Consumption - after user multitouch screen several times with 3 or more fingers but do not execute any gesture app will popup a tutorial explaining touch consumption with link to settings. Now quite a few new users are confused why their effort at Fruit Ninja does not give any result.
    7) Reviewing/regrouping/fixing actions - so far I was just throwing in new actions. Some didn't work on particular android versions, others didn't work on some devices. I haven't decided how it will be done but I want to clean it up. I want to add plugins support too (downloadable from play store) so some really niche things or some bigger complex thing could be moved there.
    8) Backup/Import/Export - long time promised, its time to add it.

While such things don't add much for experienced users it will improve overall 'quality' of the app.

Why cant I just release an old version with lollipop support? I don't have such version. I added lollipop support to half broken/work in progress version and I intend to move forward instead of backporting it. Its not just SeLinux/root issues that needed to be fixed. Some internal Api changed, recent apps work differently, etc, etc. It will be released when ready. Family > full time job > Android (4-20 hours per week).

Regards,
    GMD aka StupidIdea
    10.0.0-alpha

Uploaded 10.0.0-alpha to Alpha channel:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontrol

Changes:
    - Android Nougat support (requires SuperSu v2.78)
    - Minor fixes

Notes:
    Tested it on N6P (7.1.1) and N72013 (6.0.1). All actions, keyboard detections and per app settings should work. But I didn't test any older Android yet.
    Thanks hasenbein1966, for donation :highfive:

Update:
    Currently Launchpad and Blacklist are completely broken. UI is mix of material and holo. There are still some issues with recent apps. I will create alpha version G+ channel (without support) for lollipop version when I have more stable build.