[TUT] How to Install Official SDE menu and rooted firmware (updated 19 Nov 2012)

Search This thread

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
Of course, I acted like you said. But now, after I rewrote the firmware, the tablet don't enter to recovery.

I always press the power button until the green LED comes on, then I hold the VOL - button (down) until the recovery screen comes up.
When I hold the VOL - before pressing power, it doesn't recognize the VOL button and boots normally.

levi_120

May 23, 2012
after reboot device no see HDD

my device archos g9 80 hdd 250
i getting super user but after reboting divice i get icon HDD in right panel and no see my folders
and i want see folder from coputer no see only
file mananger no see folders!!!
"i want take screenshot but i see message srenshot not saved because no see HDD"
please help

I have followed the instructions from page 1 of this thread, but I'm stuck on the following :

First - What is "ADB" ? - since I have a Archos 80 G9 4G (from Staples USA store) - I simply skipped steps 3-6 and went to step 6A

I find the instructions below very confusing, as they do not indicate when to connect - or remove the USB cable.

Step 6a: If you followed steps 3-6, no need to follow this step. If you do not have ADB, you can simply copy archos.ext4.update to the root of your Archos storage (the main folder when you connect your Archos).

Done

Step 7: Power off your device

Done - Question ? Do I remove the USB cable here?

Step 8: Boot into recovery by holding the volume rocker down and pressing the power button simultaneously

Done!

Step 9: You should now be in Recovery mode with the following options "No" "Reboot" "Update Firmware" "Repair System" "Format System" "Developer Edition Menu". Select "Developer Edition Menu"

On my machine I see:

Archos 180S-Boot Menu
-----------------------
Please select an entry
Android
Developer Edition
Recovery System

I move the volume up/down rocker to select a choice "Developer Edition"

and this "tap" the power button

I see

"Booting Developer Edition"

then I see a splash screen for

"SDE Succesfully Installed

With the Goat / Unicorn image
- for 10 seconds

Then the machine automatically reboots.

I never get the opportunity to see a special Drive folder with which to drag the files: " zImage and initramfs.cpio.lzo "

Step 10: Select "Remove Android Kernel" (if the option is present, if not, skip)

Never see this

Step 11: Select Flash Kernel and Initramfs

I never see this

Step 12: Copy zImage and initramfs.cpio.lzo to the drive that appears

This option does not exist

Step 13: Reboot your device. Your device should now be rooted.
[/QUOTE]

Mine is not - My machine remains with :

Firmware Version 4.0.5 (Android 4.0.3)

Really wanted this to work - but I'm stumped.

Reactions: stoopendis

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
Sounds like you don't have the SDE Menu enabled. You'll need to do that to be able to follow all the steps properly. (I also have the 80 G9 from Staples.) Do all the steps of Step 1 and try again, and you should have better luck.

ADB is the Android Debug Bridge, part of the Android SDK. It lets you connect Android tablets or phones to your PC to do development-type stuff including adding or deleting system apps.

Leave the USB cable plugged in for the whole process.

Last edited:

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Yes you did not follow step 1. If you cant follow step 1 how do you expect step 2 to work?

I think I figured it out

I had to remove the USB cable prior to step 8

then I had to select "Recovery" from 6 other choices,

THEN i could see the "Developer Edition Menu" ( I had only seen "Developer Edition" before - which is different

At Step 10, I almost hit power off - but instead I maneuvered to " Flash Kernel and Initramfs"

and i finally saw the new menu :

"Ram Disk created - connect USB cable and copy zImage and initramfs"

this is when I reconnected the USB cable and dragged zImage and initramfs over to the RAM drive (Im on Win7 64 for my host machine here)

I will advise that with the USB cable always connected - my device woudl Never leave the "Media Drive mode - and simply connecting the USB cable would force a power on condition.

I advise revise the instructions to root without ADB - and list the correct sequence to remove the USB cable.

I was getting no where with it always connected.

===

Step 8: Boot into recovery by holding the volume rocker down and pressing the power button simultaneously
Step 9: You should now be in Recovery mode with the following options "No" "Reboot" "Update Firmware" "Repair System" "Format System" "Developer Edition Menu". Select "Developer Edition Menu"
Step 10: Select "Remove Android Kernel" (if the option is present, if not, skip)

Last edited:

soundscape2k

Jun 8, 2009
oops. I'm stuck

So I followed everything all the way to the end of step 6a and now when I try to boot the tablet it just stays at "ARCHOS Entertainment your way" screen forever. I wonder what I've done wrong...... its almost like the firmware is missing or something. yet, I copied it from my PC successfully using adb push. It did take 231seconds to copy to the device. Any ideas? much appreciated.

Update: I went back into recovery mode and upgraded firmware to archos 4.07 and now it boots prior to seeing Shano56's response below. When I run Root Check Basic it says "Sorry, this device does not have root access".
I will start all over and see where I can get with it. I know SDE is successfully installed (at least it was...).

Last edited:

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
So I followed everything all the way to the end of step 6a and now when I try to boot the tablet it just stays at "ARCHOS Entertainment your way" screen forever. I wonder what I've done wrong...... its almost like the firmware is missing or something. yet, I copied it from my PC successfully using adb push. It did take 231seconds to copy to the device. Any ideas? much appreciated.

thanks.

Hi, please reinstall official firmware > http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.7/firmware_archos_it4.aos

Recovery > update firmware > plug in usb and copy over to ramdisk

Once tablet is booted, download latest rooted ext4 rom and kernel (initramfs and zimage) from here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1720422

Try to transfer with ADB once more (sometimes it does not transfer properly, even with ADB)

You are sure you flashed kernel after copying the ext4.update?

haerwu

One day I will sell my 80 G9 'so called Turbo but only 4430' for pennies and go for something with normal Android recovery.

Installed 4.0.7 from Archos, then copied ext4 file, rebooted, 'flashed' kernel/initramfs. Device booted fine and I got root.

Then rebooted device into boot loop...

Jun 21, 2012
One day I will sell my 80 G9 'so called Turbo but only 4430' for pennies and go for something with normal Android recovery.

Installed 4.0.7 from Archos, then copied ext4 file, rebooted, 'flashed' kernel/initramfs. Device booted fine and I got root.

Then rebooted device into boot loop...

before you flashed the kernal/initframfs did you removed the old kernel by the SDE Menu "Remove Android Kernel (Media Storage will ...) ?

greetings AOD

haerwu

Is it normal?
Code:
I/ServiceManager(  734): Waiting for service media.audio_policy...
W/AudioSystem(  734): AudioPolicyService not published (2), waiting...
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/domx/omx_rpc/src/omx_rpc.c:140      RPC_InstanceInit()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: Can't open device, errorno from open = 2
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/domx/omx_rpc/src/omx_rpc_stub.c:200 RPC_GetHandle()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: DOMX Write failed 0xffffffff -1
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/domx/omx_rpc/src/omx_rpc_stub.c:200 RPC_GetHandle()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: failed check:status >= 0 && errno != ENXIO - returning error: 0x81009 - Write failed due ducati in faulty state
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/domx/omx_proxy_common/src/omx_proxy_common.c:1993   OMX_ProxyCommonInit()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: RPC function returned error 0x81009
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/domx/omx_proxy_common/src/omx_proxy_common.c:1993   OMX_ProxyCommonInit()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: failed check:(eError == OMX_ErrorNone) - returning error: 0x80001009 - Error returned from OMX API in ducati
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/domx/omx_rpc/src/omx_rpc.c:261      RPC_InstanceDeInit()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: Close failed on omx fd
D/DOMX    ( 1076): hardware/ti/domx/omx_proxy_component/omx_camera/src/omx_proxy_camera.c:451   OMX_ComponentInit()
D/DOMX    ( 1076): ERROR: ror in Initializing Proxy
E/CameraHal( 1076): (40149488)   hardware/ti/omap4xxx/camera/OMXCameraAdapter/OMXCameraAdapter.cpp:3661 OMXCameraGetHandle - OMX_GetHandle() failed, error: 0x80001009
W/AudioSystem(  734): AudioPolicyService not published (1), waiting...
W/AudioSystem(  734): AudioPolicyService restarting media service
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.740570] init: untracked pid 1083 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.742950] init: untracked pid 1084 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.743286] init: untracked pid 1085 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.743621] init: untracked pid 1086 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.744171] init: untracked pid 1080 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.744506] init: untracked pid 1081 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.744842] init: untracked pid 1079 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.745452] init: untracked pid 1078 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.745788] init: untracked pid 1082 exited
I/cat     (  622): <3>[  376.746093] init: untracked pid 1077 exited
I/ServiceManager(  635): service 'media.audio_flinger' died
I/ServiceManager(  635): service 'media.player' died
I//usr/bin/avos( 1089): Sys_pk_build_product_key [6KFAMGWZZRM1T2] [6KFA-MGWZ-ZRM1-T2]
I//usr/bin/avos( 1089): media_retriever thread started
I//usr/bin/avos( 1089): media_player thread started

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    archos.png

Note: If you screw up your tablet doing this, it will not be covered under warranty. Hardware defects should still be covered. If you have found anything helpful, please click "thanks" on my post, and visit the original threads of our amazing developers and leave thanks there too! Before you go on, please BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT FILES YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE TO A SAFE LOCATION.

If you have rooted other android devices before, rooting your Archos G9 may be a little difference. Instead of rooting stock firmware, We first install SDE (special developer edition) firmware using official ARCHOS firmware. Once SDE menu is installed it adds an option in recovery to install developer firmware. This is when we install a modified firmware that has busybox and super user included. This guide is very safe to follow. Chances are most problems you run into are very easy to recovery. Please view the FAQ at the bottom of this post if you have questions or run into problems. Because we don't have to flash recoveries or mess with the bootloader like some Android devices require, and because all methods are universal to G9s, this rooting process is very safe and easy to follow. This guide is very easy: No need to install any drivers, root methods, anything! Not even ADB is required. So easy, your grandma could do it...? Quote from ARCHOS:

ARCHOS said:
    Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

• Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
    • After SDE firmware installation, you will not be able to play DRM protected content anymore.
    • Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
    • ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
    • This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

The firmware must be installed on a unit with a firmware version above 4.0.1 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Once the SDE firmware is installed, powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button will now trigger a "Boot Menu". This menu allows to select which operating system is to be launched (Android, the newly installed Developer Edition or the Recovery System). If the device is powered on while pressing jointly the 'volume down' and the 'volume up' buttons, the Developer Edition will be launched. If the device is powered on without any other button pressed, Android will be launched.

Installing a new ARCHOS (Android) firmware WILL NOT remove the SDE firmware. In order to uninstall the SDE, boot into the recovery using the Boot Menu, select "Developer Edition Menu", then "Uninstall Developer Edition".

STEP 1: Install SDE

Prerequisites: You must own an Archos 80/101G9 and be on fimrware 4.0.1 (ICS) or higher.

Step 1: Download SDE firmware HERE
    Step 2: Boot into recovery by holding the volume rocker up and pressing the power button simultaneously
    Step 3: Select "Update Firmware"
    Step 4: Plug your device into your computer using the USB cable that came with your device
    Step 6: A new drive should appear in "My Computer", copy the file you downloaded "firmware_archos_it4.aos" to this device
    Step 7: Press the power button and wait for the instalation to finish

STEP 2: Install rooted firmware.

Before you begin, you will need SDE installed. Please follow step 1 before you begin if you have not already. If you have SDE installed, you can continue. Any downloaded applications and personal media should remain untouched. Installing a new ARCHOS (Android) firmware WILL NOT remove the SDE firmware. In order to uninstall the SDE, boot into the recovery using the Boot Menu, select "Developer Edition Menu", then "Uninstall Developer Edition". Please download files to your PC hard drive.

Please visit the following thread by surdu_petru and download and extract:
    - Stock_Root_4.0.25.zip - 206.48 MB

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1955910

Step 1: Power your device on
    Step 2: Once your device is on, and your home screen is visible, plug your device into your PC. If you do not have ADB installed on your computer, skip steps 3-6 and follow step 6a.
    Step 3: Open a command prompt on your PC and type
    Code:
    adb devices
    Step 4: Ensure your device shows up so you know it's connected properly and adb is active
    Step 5: Type
    Code:
    cd desktop
    This is to change the directory to where you download the two files

Step 6: Type
    Code:
    adb push archos.ext4.update /mnt/storage

Give it some time to transfer, it is a large file and will take several minutes, you will be presented with transfer info once the transfer is complete.

Step 6a: If you followed steps 3-6, no need to follow this step. If you do not have ADB, you can simply copy archos.ext4.update to the root of your Archos storage (the main folder when you connect your Archos).

Step 9: If you see "Archos Boot Menu" or something similar, select "Recovery System"
    Step 9: You should now see "Archos Recovery" with the following options "No" "Reboot" "Update Firmware" "Repair System" "Format System" "Developer Edition Menu". Select "Developer Edition Menu"

Frequently Asked Questions! (FAQ)
    Will this guide work for my Archos 80 G9? For my 101 G9? I have Archos 101 G9 OMAP 4430. I have 250GB hdd model! I have turbo edition!
    Yes this guide will work for ALL Archos G9 users. This includes 80 G9s and 101 G9s. This includes all 8gb G9s and 16gb G9s and 250GB G9s and 1.0 GHz G9s and 1.2 GHz G9s and 1.5 GHz G9s and OMAP 4430 G9s and OMAP 4460 G9s and board version V5 etc etc. ALL G9s!

Can I just drag the .zip file to the RAMDISK that appears when I flash zImage and initramfs?
    No! Archos recovery cannot read ZIP files. You must first EXTRACT, then copy the contents of the extracted folder. NOT the folder itself. This means you will have two files on the RAMDISK, and no additional folders. If you don't know what a RAMDISK is, try Google or Wikipedia. If you get stuck in a boot loop because you forgot to extract archos.update.ext4 or drive.zip, you must follow the instructions below.

Help! I am stuck in a bootloop! Archos splash screen appears and keeps rebooting. I messed up when I was rooting, and now android will not boot! I accidentally formatted my device, and now I cannot boot into android.
    This is a simple mistake and in 99% of cases it is easy to fix. Follow these steps:

Step 1: Download official Archos G9 firmware for ALL G9 tablets (aos file) HERE
    Step 2: Boot into recovery turning your device off and then holding volume down + power at the same time
    Step 3: Choose "Update Firmware"
    Step 4: Connect USB cable to computer and tablet
    Step 5: A removable device should appear (RAMDISK), copy the file you just download straight to that drive
    Step 6: Press the power button once the file is done copying. DO NOT UNPLUG your device until it has finished updating and has booted back into android.

If you did not format your tablet or delete any personal media, your files should be unaffected.

Will I lose SDE menu if I update my tablet with official AOS or OTA update
    As of the latest update, no official update from Archos has removed SDE menu. You should be fine, and your SDE menu should remain untouched.

This method may void your warranty if you screw up something software related. Your device will be marked and Archos can detect if you have this installed. If you wish to follow a slightly more difficult (possible dangerous) method, which will not mark your device, you can follow it here (note you will need ADB installed): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1542058
    thanks for this. I will edit the guides when I get on the computer later.

I'm glad you did not take me as being rude, but I've just gotten so sick of all the repeated same 2 questions about the Archos G9's just about everywhere I go on the internet... Yet, for some reason nobody ever bothers to post this in nice big, bold, red letters at the top of the major "sticky" threads... and, it's really not that hard to do... Here I'll show you:

If you have already upgraded to Archos firmware 4.0.24 or higher...
    Until Archos changes things (which is doubtful)...
    You CAN NOT install any previous OFFICIAL Archos firmware version.
    You CAN NOT install the OFFICIAL Archos SDE.
    But, you CAN still install an UN-OFFICIAL SDE and custom "rooted" ROMS if you want to.
    (put further information and links here)

Why something like the above has not already been posted all over the internet by now amazes me! And, what really bugs me is it really should have been a "sticky" at the very top of every forum relating to the Archos G9 tablets (not just here on xda-developers) almost a month ago already!

No guarantee, but if I can get a chance I will try to re-package everything I listed in my previous post and include some batch (.bat) files for Windows users (most Linux users very likely already know how to work with ADB), but with 15 inches of snow in 24 hours here, Christmas, and New Years... well, my head is kind of off with other things right now.
    Yes the old one is more complicated as it requires use of adb commands. Thats odd that it doesn't work for new firmware. I don't have a G9 anymore so I cannot test unfortunately

Why doesn't anybody (especially one of the Mods) take the time to change the very first post of this thread and put up in big red letters that you can NOT install the official Archos SDE if you have already installed the official Archos firmware 4.0.24 or higher?

And then point people to all of the correct information they would need (and I do NOT mean to the old SDE method thread either, should be a whole new sticky for this situation). If anyone wants to take the ball and run with it to do so, here's the short version of instructions to expand from:

If you run Windows, download and extract the ADB USB driver from:
    ftp://support.archos.com/ARCHOS it/ADB/adb_winusb_driver.zip

You do NOT need to install the Google Android SDK stuff for any of this!

On your tablet, go into Settings => Developer options and set Debug mode on.

Plug tablet into computer and get the above mentioned ADB USB driver installed.

Unplug and reboot both computer and tablet.

Go to this thread and drop down to surdu's instructions and download his Enable_SDE.zip file and extract it:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1971263

Then, for rooted stock Archos 3.2.80 go here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1477667

Or, for rooted stock Archos 4.0.7 go here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1720422

For now, those are really the ONLY 2 of Archos firmware that actually work right anyway.

So, PLEASE... somebody take the brief instructions I listed above and expand on it to make it more easily understandable to others (especially noobs) and get a sticky posted that people can find more easily (instead of hunting around and constantly asking). Yes, it is a bit complicated, but the only real hard part is getting the ADB USB driver installed. The rest is just following instructions (and most of the ADB commands could actually be put together into a .bat file for Windows users... if anyone wants to try to do so. Sorry, I'd like to do that myself, but just haven't had time to do so).

[Sorry I had mistakenly posted this link to a "custom" 3.2.80 ROM before:
    [ROM] UPDATE Custom Rom Honeycomb 3.2.1 - Firmware 3.2.80 Only for SDE:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1530615&highlight=3+2+80]
    Please someone, find a easier way to install sde on G9! I have an archos8 with sde enabled and rooted, Galaxy S1 also rooted but i can not install sde on my G80 and i believe many other users like me...

If you have already installed the official Archos 4.0.24, 4.0.25, or the (current) 4.0.26 firmware, I believe you have already found out that you can not install any earlier official Archos firmware version, and you can not install the official Archos SDE either. However, you can install an UN-official SDE and then install various 'rooted' firmware.

Since there are a large number of people that just can not stand putting up with the problems in 4.0.26 (or do not want to wait until Archos releases a newer firmware)... and they really desperately want to get back to 4.0.7...

Well, check out my post over on the archosfans forum..
    1. I removed the unofficial SDE menu.
    2. I installed the official SDE menu.
    3. I downloaded and unzipped 4_0_6_update.zip and kernel_update.zip
    4. I pushed archos.ext4.update to /mnt/storage
    5. I removed the Android Kernel
    6. I flashed the unofficial kernel

I did everything above twice.
    I also tried with your (surudu_petru's) ROM.
    If I don't remove the Android Kernel, nothing happens (expected).
    I hope I gave you enough information.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ARCHOS 101G9 using XDA

Hi !
    Thanks...
    ...but can you format your device ? see "Format System -> Reformat Device -> OK ! I understand -> Ok! ", than copy original .aos 4.0.6 firmware ....after reboot copy archos.ext4.update in /mnt/storage/ , reboot in SDE , go to " Recovery System" -> Developer Edition Menu-> Remove Android Kernel-> I Understand -> OK! -> Developer Edition Menu-> Flash Kernel & Initramfs -> and copy here zImage and initramfs.......I hope this help you !