FAQs - Massive Question Round Up Thread for Flo [UPDATE: 9/26/2014]

Search This thread

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
FLO? What does it mean?

What is FLO?

Flo is the codename of the hardware. Razor is the codename for the software.

If you boot into bootloader you will see the name Flo. All Nexus devices have codenames. For example the Nexus 4 is known as Mako (and its software builds as Occam). Some other phones also have it, the HTC EVO 3D is Shooter, EVO LTE is Jewel and so on.

TL,DR Another name for the Nexus 7 (2013)

Rambytes

Jul 14, 2012
Montréal
Hi, first sorry for my english.

A big hardware question about this 2013 version: does the Nexus 7 2013 have the same problem (hope not) like the original Nexus 7: the screen lift? I've return my original N7 after 2 weeks because of the screen lifting. I've see many subject here about this major problem, when the N7 get hot the double-side tape cannot stick the screen, etc...

So, with this new N7 tablet, can I buy-it eyes close or there is few other problem?

Thanks alot!

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
Hi, first sorry for my english.

A big hardware question about this 2013 version: does the Nexus 7 2013 have the same problem (hope not) like the original Nexus 7: the screen lift? I've return my original N7 after 2 weeks because of the screen lifting. I've see many subject here about this major problem, when the N7 get hot the double-side tape cannot stick the screen, etc...

So, with this new N7 tablet, can I buy-it eyes close or there is few other problem?

Thanks alot!

I haven't seen a single post about screen lift on the forums. Also personally my own nexus 7 doesn't have this issue so reset assured, that problem does not exist with the new one.

Reactions: Rambytes

KY Wildcats

Dec 8, 2012
I don't know where to ask this but is it normal if I have to hold the power button for 4-5 seconds to get it back on?

explosmicfoo

Aug 5, 2013
Has anyone managed to get the native phone/dialer working on Flo for SIP calling? I've tried some third-party SIP clients but miss the native experience. Would be willing to tip if someone could get working on it.

Has anyone managed to get the native phone/dialer working on Flo for SIP calling? I've tried some third-party SIP clients but miss the native experience. Would be willing to tip if someone could get working on it.

For the moment no Devs works on it, maybe later...be patient ;)

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
It would be nice if possible to make to distinguish the difference between codenames. A lot of people asks question regarding them:

Razor: Device codename
Flo: Board codename

Thanks!

Reactions: TaintedByte

mrdunn

Jan 6, 2010
portland, or
I am not sure where to ask this, but what is the difference between the "Android Development" and "Original Android Development" forums?

garytsat

May 7, 2013
volume

how is the volume on the nexus 7 2013 I had one I took back because I couldn't hear it are they all like that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FAQs - Massive Question Round Up Thread for Flo

፨ INTRODUCTION ፨
    Hello! So you got your awesome flashy new tablet but you have a million questions to ask. Maybe it's your first Android tablet. Maybe you're late to the party. Maybe you forgot everything you know.
    It's okay. This thread will help you. This thread is not to discourage you from posting a new one but simply to save you time in case your question has been answered but buried over time.
    This thread will also help the forum stay fresh and clutter free. However if your question was not answered here, feel free to start your own.

፨ IMPORTANT ፨
    There are some things to keep in mind before reading this thread:

• It is impossible to gather all knowledge on this device, therefore this thread will always be incomplete. Please keep in mind that if something is not answered here it does not mean it wasn't elsewhere on the forum. Search before posting.
    • All of the questions/issues have been researched in depth and a source will be given if applicable. However, there is always a chance some of the information is wrong. Please only attempt a fix if you're comfortable doing so.
    • This thread will get quite long over time, I recommend you Ctrl+F (or equivalent) and search by keyword.
    • If you have any suggestions or want to submit a question/answer, PLEASE do so. It makes keeping this updated easier and lets the community participate. Credit will be given.

፨ FAQs ፨

Q: How do I unlock my bootloader/root/install a custom recovery?
    A: philos64 walks you through the entire procedure. From stock, to unlocked bootloader, root and TWRP. Find his guide here.

Q: Is there a way to unlock my bootloader without losing my data? Thanks to marcusjt.
    A: No. When you initiate the bootloader unlock process the data will be lost. It is recommended to unlock the bootloader before you start filling it with data. However if you have already done so you can still back up your apps with an external application, such as TitaniumBackup. Please be aware, however that if you install a custom ROM, it is recommended to not restore previous data and start fresh instead.

Q: I have to relock the bootloader, how do I go about doing that?
    A: Just as easy as unlocking. Boot to the bootloader and on fastboot type: fastboot oem lock

Q: What is the difference between root and an unlocked bootloader?
    A: An unlocked bootloader allows you to write protected partitions such as system or recovery. This lets you flash custom ROMs (un-official non-stock operating systems that have more functionality such as CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, etc.). Root does not mess with partitions, instead it grants you complete control over the OS (Android) itself. It will let you write and edit any file you wish. This lets you run apps like Titanium Backup and Adblock that need to either access or edit system files.

Q: This is my first Nexus device. I was told with my previous device to wait until an unlock or root method is found before upgrading to a new release. Is that the case here?
    A: No. With Nexus devices there is no fear of having the bootloader locked down further. It will always be unlocked in the same fashion and root is a flash away.

Q: Will I lose OTA notifications if I root/unlock bootloader/install custom ROM? Thanks to marcusjt.
    A: If all you do is root or unlock the bootloader then you will continue to receive OTA notifications from Google. Please be aware that root will be lost if you don't preserve it through your SU app. Most custom ROMs remove the ability to receive official OTA notifications from Google.

Q: What is the name of this Nexus 7? I keep hearing all these different names! Thanks to zaclimon.
    A: Our device is named after a previous one with the same name, thus confusion will arise. The official name for it is Nexus 7 (2013), this is what Google calls it. Amazon brought a new name: Nexus 7 FHD presumably after "full high definition". Furthermore, there are two other names that refer to our device, Flo (this thread's title) refers to the board of the device (hardware). While Razor is the device's codename.

Q: Does the Nexus 7 support USB OTG?
    A: According to forum members in this thread most OTG uses should work. However be aware that for certain devices external power might be needed.

Q: Is the notification light RGB? Why can I only have it flash white?
    A: The software is reporting that the LED on the Nexus 7 is only white (my explanation here). Also, looking at the actual LED we can see that it can only support one color, white.

Q: Where is the NFC sensor? What about the wireless charger?
    A: Both the NFC and the Qi coil are located in the middle of the device. X marks the spot, line up the X on the Nexus logo on the back to activate NFC or begin wireless charging.

Q: How do I take a screenshot?
    A: Press power and volume down at the same time for a couple of seconds.

Q: Does the tablet have a magnetic screen on/off feature like its predecessor?
    A: kpa2727 has confirmed that the tablet does indeed have a magnetic sensor for the display. The smart cover sensor is located on the bottom left of this device.

Q: Does it contain haptic feedback? (Vibration)
    A: No, just like the previous N7 this one does not have any rumble feedback.

Q: Do I need an official wireless charger to charge my tablet without wires?
    A: The Nexus 7 is Qi compatible which means that any Qi certified charger will work. Official or otherwise.

Q: Can I pair my Wiimote controller to my Nexus 7?
    A: Since Google updated the bluetooth stack to Qualcomms in Android 4.2, Wiimotes and the like have not been able to pair. This is no different on the Nexus 7 running Android 4.3+ (or any other 4.x build). UPDATE: A new app hit the market that allows this for 4.x, however an external USB OTG adapter is needed (must be a EDR dongle with a CSR chipset).

Q: How come Google Wallet won't install? Play store says my device is not compatible.
    A: The new Nexus 7 is missing the secure element required in order for Wallet to work at all. A Google rep has confirmed that the Nexus 7 lacks the hardware, this cannot be fixed through software. UPDATE: As of Android version 4.4, Wallet will begin to work with the Nexus 7 thanks to the new HCE feature.

Q: Why does GPS lock up on me?
    A: This issue occurs on early builds of the software. Starting with build JSS15Q this has been fixed so all that needs to be done is update to the latest OTA or ROM based on this build. However if you would not like to update, sfhub has a solution in his thread that allows the GPS issue to be fixed without updating your OS.

Q: The touch screen is sometimes inaccurate and I get phantom touches, especially with multi-touches, why?
    A: Different digitizer hardware were used on our N7 so depending on what touchscreen hardware you have this might be an issue. Not everyone will experience this and the latest JSS15Q update has fixed the problem for some users. If the update does not fix your issue, sfhub has a post located here that aims to fix the problem for most people.

Q: Wireless charging is not working, why?
    A: Some early built tablets have an issue with the wireless connector. If you do not want to void your warranty simply get it exchanged. Otherwise if you're bold enough to open your tablet, tkdsl explains how to fix the issue (the four connectors are each pair to the right of the circle in this picture).

Q: The speakers are making a static/buzzing/white noise sound when my volume is low, is my unit defective?
    A: No, it's not defective, this is the way the hardware was built. If you want to know what causes the issue, siraltus has a very good explanation here.

Q: I'm stuck in a bootloop/my tablet wont get past the startup animation. What can I do?
    A: If you think you have soft bricked your device, ATGAdmin has a one click restore tool located here. It will restore your tablet to it's condition out of the box.

Q: What ROM, kernel or mod should I use? There are too many options!
    A: Options are always good! While no one can tell you what works best for you, philos64 has created a repository of ROMs, kernels and more to make it easier to find than wading through the forum. His thread is located here. Thanks to pelago for informing me about the updated thread.

Q: Can my Nexus 7 (2013) Data Version place phone calls/send texts through mobile data?
    A: It will likely not be available out of the box. Or at all. If devs take interest it MIGHT be possible. The previous Nexus 7 can only send SMS but no GSM calls however, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 can do both. Bottom line is: don't expect this, it will likely never happen, consider this before purchasing the tablet.

Q: Does the Nexus 7 (2013) have an IR (Infrared) blaster for TV control?
    A: No, it does not.

Q: My question isn't answered here, what can I do?
    A: Well that depends on what your situation is. Here are a couple of helpful tips, though:
    • If your question is a general one about the tablet (how do I X?) then first SEARCH the forums. Try different key words. If that doesn't answer your question, feel free to make a new thread.
    • If you don't want to start a thread and have stage fright, feel free to post your question here. Also, if you know the answer to a posted question, please answer it -- this thread is for the community to work together.
    Eh... not a serious question, but why is the Nexus 7 2013 called Nexus 7 FLO?
    Just the codename Google chose for the device. Most Android devices have them, couple of em: HTC EVO LTE's codename is Jewel, Nexus 7 (2012) is Grouper, Nexus 4 is Mako, EVO 3D is Shooter, EVO 4G is Supersonic.

how is the volume on the nexus 7 2013 I had one I took back because I couldn't hear it are they all like that?
    Must have been a one-off hardware defect, it's not something I've noticed prominently on the forums and not something I personally have experienced.

What's the difference between nexus 7 android development and nexus 7 original android development?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

This explains it very well: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/introducing-original-development-forums-for-more-devices/

Haven't really been using my nexus 7 2013 lately, I downloaded the update but I was just wondering has the deadlock issues been solved? It feels like it has been solved but I only really play games on my nexus 7 :p. Thnxs in advance.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk 4

I personally did not update yet so I can't say, however sfhub has a massive thread here with everything we currently know about the latest build. That being said, if you're talking about the deadlock issue that I think you are (random freezes for a couple of seconds) then it seems to be a bug with only the JSS build but it might have carried over to the newer ones.

The awesome devs over at the Nexus 4 forums have fixed this by merging JSS and JWR builds. ParanoidAndroid for the Nexus 4 has a 4.3 build with no deadlocks. I know that this doesn't immediately help us here but it shows that it's merely a software issue that will be fixed.
    How do you boot to recovery, like TWRP? I already have it installed and it is rooted, but nowhere I have looked says how to, just "boot to recovery".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Turn off your device. Then press vol- and power at the same time, You should get yourself to bootloader mode. After this press vol keys to get the recovery mode text and press power to select.
    Suggestion: Three more Q&As

Q: Can I unlock or root for the first time without wiping my device?
    A: No - see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2440913

Q: Can I backup my device without unlocking it (which would wipe it if it's the first time - see previous Q)
    A: Yes - see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1420351 for how to perform a backup/restore over ADB or use a toolkit which makes this easy for you, e.g. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2389107

Q: Will I receive OTA updates if all I do is root the device?
    A: Yes - but SuperSU is recommended if you want to preserve root (it has a fix which must be manually enabled in its settings), see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2450139
    The were some people that did brick on the update

Normally you cannot bricked your Nexus 7, maybe a soft brick.
    The only way for bricking your N7 is to delete your bootloader...