[Q] how to manually update android on the nexus 5

Search This thread

r3m10

Jun 20, 2014
Hi,

I read that once I will root my phone I will lose over the air updates. But how to manually update it? I use CWM. And will i need to reroot the phone after the update?

Thanks in advance!

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
You will not use otas if you rooting. You will get otas even if you are on a cm rom.

Here is how ota works:

Cheks those system files which have to be updated. If any of those system files is different, then the update fails and will show you an error about unexpected content in xxxx file. If every system files got checked and they are all good for the ota, then it starts patching the files. Then it flashes bootloader (if any), modem (if any), kernel (if any) and copies the recovery image to /system and a script to /system/etc/ then the phone restarts. At booting the phone flashes the new recovery and done.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

Reactions: r3m10

Capsules.io

Jun 21, 2014
capsules.io
Hi,

I read that once I will root my phone I will lose over the air updates. But how to manually update it? I use CWM. And will i need to reroot the phone after the update?

Thanks in advance!

Install SDK, and make sure that /platform-tools dir is in your PATH (environmental variable) so you can use fastboot and adb from cmd line. Then

1. Download the factory pack from Google
2. Extract it (you can use winrar/7zip, or whatever)
3. Edit the Flash-all script (remove the "-w" if you don't want it to wipe, and the line to flash recovery if you want to keep CWM).
4. Boot your device into bootloader mode, connect via usb
5. run the cmd "fastboot devices" to check your computer see's your device, if not.. you need to configure your drivers
6. run the Flash-all script

That's it.

Lokke9191

Nov 20, 2013
Glenview, IL
What is the advantage in doing all those extra steps when you can just dirty flash 4.4.4? I know for a major android version upgrade you'd want to do a clean install, but this is such a minor one. And please don't say something like....to learn how to use fastboot commands.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash the 4.4.4 zip in recovery. Don't wipe cache or anything. You won't lose data or root, you might have to flash super user in recovery after. I have survival mode on in super user and did not need to reflash su. The zip can be found here http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-stock-4-4-3-ktu84m-odex-deodex-t2771010
    You will not use otas if you rooting. You will get otas even if you are on a cm rom.

Here is how ota works:

Cheks those system files which have to be updated. If any of those system files is different, then the update fails and will show you an error about unexpected content in xxxx file. If every system files got checked and they are all good for the ota, then it starts patching the files. Then it flashes bootloader (if any), modem (if any), kernel (if any) and copies the recovery image to /system and a script to /system/etc/ then the phone restarts. At booting the phone flashes the new recovery and done.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
    Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Install SDK, and make sure that /platform-tools dir is in your PATH (environmental variable) so you can use fastboot and adb from cmd line. Then

1. Download the factory pack from Google
    2. Extract it (you can use winrar/7zip, or whatever)
    3. Edit the Flash-all script (remove the "-w" if you don't want it to wipe, and the line to flash recovery if you want to keep CWM).
    4. Boot your device into bootloader mode, connect via usb
    5. run the cmd "fastboot devices" to check your computer see's your device, if not.. you need to configure your drivers
    6. run the Flash-all script

That's it.
    What is the advantage in doing all those extra steps when you can just dirty flash 4.4.4? I know for a major android version upgrade you'd want to do a clean install, but this is such a minor one. And please don't say something like....to learn how to use fastboot commands.
    And please don't say something like....to learn how to use fastboot commands.

Those instructions don't require you to know any fastboot commands (the script automates them).