Trying to root with Saferoot but SuperSU fails to disable KNOX

Search This thread

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
I have gone to the Saferoot thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 and am trying to root my S3 on the ML1 update. Everything in the install.bat runs fine, but when I get to the part where I need to open SuperSU and have it update binaries, I hit normal as instructed,KNOX is detected, and it fails to disable KNOX. No amount of searching is finding me an answer how to remedy this. I don't really care about trying 25 different ROMS or such, but just want root access again for Titanium Backup. Ideas?

Last edited:

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
I have gone to the Saferoot thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 and am trying to root my S3 on the ML1 update. Everything in the install.bat runs fine, but when I get to the part where I need to open SuperSU and have it update binaries, I hit normal as instructed,KNOX is detected, and it fails to disable KNOX. No amount of searching is finding me an answer how to remedy this. I don't really care about trying 25 different ROMS or such, but just want root access again for Titanium Backup. Ideas?

I'm not sure if this works at this point but Chainfire had a super SU zip especially for 4.3 roms on his website. This may fix your issue

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

nook2hd

Sep 6, 2013

If you have root before 4.3, my experience may be helpful to you: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49334077&postcount=21

Though, I didn't have problem with KNOX, my problem was SuperSU fail to update su binary.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

Have you verify that your phone successfully rooted? Check it with root checker from the market.

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
I'm not sure if this works at this point but Chainfire had a super SU zip especially for 4.3 roms on his website. This may fix your issue

Have you got a link? I'm looking but not finding.

If you have root before 4.3, my experience may be helpful to you: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49334077&postcount=21

Though, I didn't have problem with KNOX, my problem was SuperSU fail to update su binary.

I did have my phone rooted prior to the OTA. I've been rooting my phones for years, but have never messed with adb shell. I read your post before posting this question but it is kind of greek to me. I've always used the usual run this, run that, Odin this, CWM that type approaches. My SuperSU binary won't update because it can't disable KNOX.

Have you verify that your phone successfully rooted? Check it with root checker from the market.

I already used root checker to verify the phone did not root successfully.

Last edited:

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012

I have the zip file. I downloaded it awhile ago. It's dated from October.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Best bet is his thread here on xda. He has a flashable zip

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
I've been trying to get this OTA 4.3 rooted with no success. I ran the saferoot install.bat, and after multiple tries, it finally managed to disable KNOX. I cannot however get SuperSU to update the binaries. I've run it a bunch of times. SuperSU managed to turn off Superuser citing a conflict, but simply fails at installation. I downloaded the 1.91 SuperSU update, and have tried multiple times to flash via stock recovery. After verifying update package comes up, it fails to verify update signature, ends, reboots, and doesn't install. I uninstalled SuperSU and tried to flash and it doesn't install.

I have Googled and Googled with no solutions.

I am also finding that this OTA isn't very stable. I am having intermittent weird issues like today my camera just wouldn't work for a while until reboot, and the phone has turned itself off a couple of times.

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I've been trying to get this OTA 4.3 rooted with no success. I ran the saferoot install.bat, and after multiple tries, it finally managed to disable KNOX. I cannot however get SuperSU to update the binaries. I've run it a bunch of times. SuperSU managed to turn off Superuser citing a conflict, but simply fails at installation. I downloaded the 1.91 SuperSU update, and have tried multiple times to flash via stock recovery. After verifying update package comes up, it fails to verify update signature, ends, reboots, and doesn't install. I uninstalled SuperSU and tried to flash and it doesn't install.

I am also finding that this OTA isn't very stable. I am having intermittent weird issues like today my camera just wouldn't work for a while until reboot, and the phone has turned itself off a couple of times.

Use saferoot to install SuperSu, then run adb command as:
adb shell
You should see "$" prompt
Then type
/system/xbin/su
You should see "#"
Please verify.

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
Use saferoot to install SuperSu, then run adb command as:
adb shell
You should see "$" prompt
Then type
/system/xbin/su
You should see "#"
Please verify.

I uninstalled SuperSU that I installed via Google play. I ran saferoot and let it do its thing and install SuperSU. When I get to the part of updating SuperSU, it fails to install. I ran your commands in adb, and I got the #.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I uninstalled SuperSU that I installed via Google play. I ran saferoot and let it do its thing and install SuperSU. When I get to the part of updating SuperSU, it fails to install. I ran your commands in adb, and I got the #.

Once you got the # , then run the following:
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/bin/su
mount -o remount,ro /system

After this open SuperSu app and see if you can update. If updated successfully then reboot your phone.

Reactions: voigts

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
rm /system/bin/su

After this open SuperSu app and see if you can update. If updated successfully then reboot your phone.

Many thanks. It worked! :good: SuperSU updated just fine, and root checker shows root access. What did these commands actually do and what was the problem?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Many thanks. It worked! :good: SuperSU updated just fine, and root checker shows root access. What did these commands actually do and what was the problem?

You have Superuser and SuperSu in your phone and the Superuser is the default one which root no longer working. So these commands basically remove the Superuser "su" executable file, which allowed your SuperSu to be updated and became a default root.

Last edited:

voigts

Aug 22, 2011
Chattanooga
You have Superuser and SuperSu in your phone and the Superuser is the default one which root no longer working. So these commands basically remove the Superuser "su" executable file, which allowed your SuperSu to be updated and became a default root.

Makes sense. I get the concept. Thank you very much for your help. I Googled over and over and couldn't come up with an answer.

Garmandokel

Feb 17, 2014
Using Saferoot with Knox disable

I had tried the saferoot and it failed several times, until i installed kies 3 here's how finally was able to root my SCH-R530u Us cellular phone with JB 4.3:

downloaded saferoot & unzipped, then installed kies 3 & run it (make sure your phone is detected ok in kies) after kies opens & your phone is recognized open saferoot and run it. wait for the phone to restart, then go to play store and download supesu and install it or update it, then open supersu & it should ask to install binary. that should do it! Hope this helps:victory:

LYwaa

Mar 27, 2014

can you please tell me how did you manage to disable knox because i have the same exact problem tnx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

rm /system/bin/su