Votes: 26 2.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
With the My Touch 4g I'm sure you MT4G users will remember the good screen/bad screen issue. Where one lcd panel was made by sony, and the other was made by sharp. The Sharp lcd screen would wash out more on an angle than the sony. I have read some people speculate that the sensation might have the same "issue"

It has been confirmed that the Sensation has two different LCD panels. One made by Acer (AUO) and one made by sharp. The sensation does not have a good screen bad screen issue. Some people prefer the acer screen and others prefer the sharp. I have had both and they both are really beautiful displays. You can only really tell the difference if they are side by side.

To find out which panel you have:
Use terminal emulator (free from the market) and run the command dmesg (root is not needed obviously)

it will output a bunch of stuff.. look for this line and report it: (if you can't find it you can long press on the output in terminal emulator copy all and then paste it into an email and send it to yourself)
just look for the line (the numbers might not be the same) [ 9178.895111] Panel Type = PANEL_ID_PYD_??????

Mine is sharp so my line is Panel Type = PANEL_ID_PYD_SHARP

If you have searched and can't find reboot and try again.

Pics I took of the two side by side:
AUO on left/top Sharp on right/bottom:
https://picasaweb.google.com/113479...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPTX9bjj3NDrbQ&feat=directlink

Last edited by a moderator:

martinchavez90

Jul 13, 2009
garden grove
Hmm I dont think it's either. So We know for sure there at are least 2 panels used. The Sharp and the AUD_NT(not sure which company that is)

Mine was also made in Taiwan

Well I would like to know what it is BUT COLORS ARE AWESOME .. NICE AND RICH AND BLACKS ARE PRETTY MUCH CLOSE TO MY SGS4G... great viewing angles .. no touch screen problems and no tint ..

Also date on the box is 5/31/2011

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

brian85

Jan 19, 2011
Aren't "super LCD" displays only made by Sony? If so, why in the world would we have displays made by Sharp?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
sharp for me.

EDIT: I'd like to note that I think my screen looks fantastic. Viewing angles are great. I like it just as much if not better than my N1 amoled.

Last edited:

Spartanjet

Jun 9, 2011
Tmobile 6/1/11

Pannel Type = PYD_AUO_NT

Display is ok, has some odd banding effect with white text on black background like the text found in the settings menu.

Shaquiel Harris

Feb 9, 2009
Los Angeles
Mines is sharp as well. This is interesting though. I'll definitely check for this when replacing my sensation.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

gotzta

Aug 16, 2009
I'm interested in seeing what their reply says...they got caught! :D

Just kidding, but yeah everything google says about SLCD is that it's a joint venture by Samsung and Sony, not Sharp!

homais

Jul 16, 2010
Houston, L.A.
read this:

2008: Sony and Samsung announce that due to increased demand, a second 8th Generation production line will operate in the S-LCD factory in the 2nd quarter of 2009.[1] S-LCD may be headed by Samsung alone as Sony has announced a joint venture with Sharp Corporation, in order to compete effectively with Samsung, a task made difficult by their current collaboration.[3]

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I'm interested in seeing what their reply says...they got caught! :D

Just kidding, but yeah everything google says about SLCD is that it's a joint venture by Samsung and Sony, not Sharp!

I checked out wiki and it seems they committed to a joint venture with sharp in 2008.

"2008: Sony and Samsung announce that due to increased demand, a second 8th Generation production line will operate in the S-LCD factory in the 2nd quarter of 2009.[1] S-LCD may be headed by Samsung alone as Sony has announced a joint venture with Sharp Corporation, in order to compete effectively with Samsung, a task made difficult by their current collaboration."

Here's the source: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20080327/149601/

EDIT: haha homais just beat me to it!

brian85

Jan 19, 2011
But SLCD isn't made by Samsung (which is what that paragraph says, unless I'm reading it wrong), so I wouldn't trust the rest of the article.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the My Touch 4g I'm sure you MT4G users will remember the good screen/bad screen issue. Where one lcd panel was made by sony, and the other was made by sharp. The Sharp lcd screen would wash out more on an angle than the sony. I have read some people speculate that the sensation might have the same "issue"

It has been confirmed that the Sensation has two different LCD panels. One made by Acer (AUO) and one made by sharp. The sensation does not have a good screen bad screen issue. Some people prefer the acer screen and others prefer the sharp. I have had both and they both are really beautiful displays. You can only really tell the difference if they are side by side.

To find out which panel you have:
    Use terminal emulator (free from the market) and run the command dmesg (root is not needed obviously)

it will output a bunch of stuff.. look for this line and report it: (if you can't find it you can long press on the output in terminal emulator copy all and then paste it into an email and send it to yourself)
    just look for the line (the numbers might not be the same) [ 9178.895111] Panel Type = PANEL_ID_PYD_??????

Mine is sharp so my line is Panel Type = PANEL_ID_PYD_SHARP

If you have searched and can't find reboot and try again.

Pics I took of the two side by side:
    AUO on left/top Sharp on right/bottom:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113479...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPTX9bjj3NDrbQ&feat=directlink
    Is there anyway you can do a side by side comparison of the two? Why are you returning the unbranded one? I too have an unbranded asian version which has been working great.

I'm really curious to see the two screens side by side. As I said mine is a Sharp, and it doesnt seem bad at all. It doesnt seem to wash out as much as the sharp screen in the MT4G

Because the unbranded one isn't 4g? Though what was odd, is that I could only seem to get edge with the unbranded phone. It's probably more of an APN issue, but I was impatient and ran out into town and found a local 4g one to try. I live in a HSPA+ capable area, so I wanted the maximum speeds. I plan to play around more with the apn settings and do some speed comparisons.

As far as the screens, I'll try and post some photos. In interior lighting, I think the Acer screen's whites look more true, and then in outdoors, the Acer looks a little reddish.

I can now see what a previous poster said about the Sharp being more smooth, and the acer more grainy. I didn't notice it before he said it though. In the whites, you can kind of discern horizontal rows of pixels, whereas the sharp is more smoothed out. But the sharp is also less saturated, maybe a little washed out looking as well.

I think they both look good on their own, and both have their pros/cons.

Here's my image:
    larger.jpg

ETA: Left is AUO, Right is SHARP
    I'd you don't mind , could you please post a pic of them both side by side at an angle ? I wanted to see the wash out effect.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App
    angle.jpg

side-side.jpg

side-side-small.jpg

Here's an angle (I think the Acer looses by a smidge on the angle wash-out). Then I took a couple more side by sides. I think on the last one, you can really see the line effect on the Acer screen vs. the Sharp.
    is there a way, other than installing a terminal emulator, to distinguish between the two displays?:confused:

because i'm about to buy another one, but in the shop I can't ask to install my sim, set up the gmail account and install the terminal emulator:(

:)

Don't worry about it. When you go to the store, if you like the display then who cares? No one here is going to ever see your phone, and odds are you're not going to have two sensations with you at all times to compare screens with. Unbox it, turn it on, and just enjoy whatever screen you get.
    my sensation got this : PANEL_ID_PYD_AUO_NT