[Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device Updated for Android 4.3!!!

Search This thread

XxSHaDoWxSLaYeRxX

Apr 26, 2012
Houston
www.ps3hax.net
I flashed the bootloader and after typing
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader
I get a black screen. Tablet is unresponsive. Any ideas as to what the problem was?

EDIT: Fixed, I had to type in the command twice.

Last edited:

emanuelnj

Jan 8, 2017
BUENOS AIRES
I do not get unlocked the bootloader

I do not get unlocked the bootloader, give me the option but when i accept i do not reset. Do you have a solution? Could i orientate thank you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 at https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jwr66v-factory-d341d356.tgz

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

5) Next type
    Code:

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.3 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

Additionally, here is an instructional video courtesy of XDA user SladeNoctis.

Also, thank you to XDA user Shano56 for the formatting help on this post.
    Nice guide man, I changed the format a little to make it easier to read. Use it if you want, won't be offended if you don't.

First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img

5) Next type
    Code:

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

If you want to use it and are too lazy to quote my post :p - http://pastie.org/pastes/4279753/text

The commands look good to me however I've never used "fastboot -w update" so can't say for that

1) Make sure you have your ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

2) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

3) Unzip the factory image into the same directory as your Adb and Fastboot drivers.

4) Plug in your device. With the device on the home screen, type "ADB reboot bootloader" or if your device is off, press and hold both volume keys and press the power button. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch.

5) This should reboot you into the bootloader. Now type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img"

6) Next type "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

7) Now type "fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip"

8) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type "fastboot oem lock"

9) I don't remember if the tablet automatically reboots at this point but if it doesn't just type "fastboot reboot"

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes.

You should change the title to [Guide] How to return to Stock / Unbrick your Nexus 7

Helps out those getting bootloops or softbricks from geting root access in certain ways or messing with the build.prop
    We are now at Android 4.3. Already booted into it. It works. OP has been updated!!!!!!
    I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

Went back through my terminal session and the exact commands went like this.

./adb reboot bootloader
    ./fastboot flash recovery ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
    ./fastboot reboot

thats it.

If you still see an image...you shouldn't be bricked. U should try turning your tablet off for 20-30 mins, then holding all 3 buttons at once. Try it plugged in and not plugged in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2