Cannot transfer files with MTP / Device not viewable in Windows Explorer

Search This thread
D

Darth

Hi dear,

I'm facing problem with MTP driver for my s4 clone phone...i have download some wpdmtp files but none is working...i think i have to modify it as u have mentioned...can u tell me how to get the USB\VID....data for my s4 clone...thanks in advance

Maybe ask in the s4 clone phone thread??? ;)

Sent from my cellular telephone

Hypochlorite

May 13, 2013
It really annoys when the phone doesn't get recognised...by the way playing around it changing MTP to PTP does the trick, to get the phone recognized

as_usual150

Dec 12, 2007
SOLUTION
In Device Manager remove mtp driver

Install the Microsoft User Mode Driver Framework for WinXP here.

Connect your phone

mischy

Oct 8, 2010
Haarlem
Thanks

I also had this problem just recently. It turned out that I messed up the device drivers on my PC when trying to install ADB. So what I did was this:
1. Plug in the Nexus 7 to PC via USB
2. Right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager
3. Look for the entry corresponding to Nexus 7 (e.g. Portable Device)
4. Right click on the entry then select Uninstall
5. Unplug the Nexus 7
6. Plug in the Nexus 7 again. This will automatically install the default drivers.

Might be worth a try.

Thanks, this worked for me and my Asus MeMO Pad Smart (ME301T). :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for the thread necro, but someone might find this handy dealing with MTP and the ADB interface w/ regards to Nexus Devices under Windows XP that don't want to deal with Windows Media Player and NEEDS USB debugging ON. So this may not apply to all of you.

Searching this forum helped lead me to fixing my Nexus 4 issues on Windows XP (w/ USB debugging enabled, I wasn't getting MTP). There was a workaround to enabling MTP + the ADB interface that I discovered on Microsoft's support forum. I needed the ADB interface and the ability to send files over MTP when using USB debugging. USB Debugging off, MTP worked fine though.

There's another method to force installation of MTP devices on USB debugging if you have a yellow "!" on Windows XP by installing a generic driver located in:

"C:\Windows\INF\" with regards to the file "wpdmtp.inf"

Under [Generic.NTx86], you add your devices.

For my entry it was:

[Generic.NTx86]
    %GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP

; Nexus 4
    %GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&MI_00
    %GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&REV_0228&MI_00

[Generic.NTamd64]
    %GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP

For your appropriate Nexus device, be it 4, 7, or 10 that has issues with USB debugging and no MTP with working ADB, locate the appropriate VID and PID and replace my entry. Force the reinstall by updating the driver, and pointing to that specific INF.

Thanks guys!
    When I connect my Nexus 7 to my Windows XP (SP3) PC via USB, it's obvious the computer recognizes it and it tries to install ADB drivers. Whether I choose to install those drivers or not, I still can't locate my device in the Windows Explorer Tree. I checked Disk Management for the hell of it and nothing but my PC's harddrives were there. There's an attempt to install drivers for "MTP" but that fails and I'm pretty sure that's the cause; however, I'm unable to replicate it, even as I uninstall/reinstall applicable drivers from the device manager the MTP failure never happens anymore. I did some googling and found a thread with someone who had a similiar experience. In turn, I downloaded https://www.box.com/s/2c25e8bc42ecce400afd to try a different set of drivers. Same problem. Driver install is fine for ADB, but still unable to see my device in Windows Explorer. I'm able to successfully connect the device to the PC with PTP for the camera. I can access DCIM and cache which can serve as a work around, but I'm hoping you can provide any ideas you might have. Thank you!

edit - ***resolution***: Ok, I figured it out...I had to disable USB debugging. I don't know if this helped either, but I installed these drivers as an alternative to the drivers that were originally installed: https://www.box.com/s/2c25e8bc42ecce400afd

While connected to PC, I switched to PTP mode because I was about to give up and just use that

I then disabled usb debugging and switched back to MTP at which point the drivers successfully installed and I could now view my device in Windows Explorer. I also believe downloading the drivers in the link above helped since the first crack I took at this was unsuccessful with existing drivers.
    Workaround

I now use the following workaround.

1. Install SDrescan from Google Play.
    2. Run it.
    3. If you already had your phone connected to a computer as a media device (MTP) and are watching the contents of your SD card or internal memory in Windows Explorer, press F5 to refresh your view. If not, connect it now.

I'd be curious whether this works for you as well. If it does, press the THANKS button below.
    Ok, I figured it out...I had to disable USB debugging. I don't know if this helped either, but I installed these drivers as an alternative to the drivers that were originally installed: https://www.box.com/s/2c25e8bc42ecce400afd
    I also had this problem just recently. It turned out that I messed up the device drivers on my PC when trying to install ADB. So what I did was this:
    1. Plug in the Nexus 7 to PC via USB
    2. Right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager
    3. Look for the entry corresponding to Nexus 7 (e.g. Portable Device)
    4. Right click on the entry then select Uninstall
    5. Unplug the Nexus 7
    6. Plug in the Nexus 7 again. This will automatically install the default drivers.

Might be worth a try.