Spring GS3 4.4 ROMs

Search This thread

brranndon

Dec 25, 2013
Hello,
I'm interested in installing a v4.4 (Kitkat) ROM.

I'd like a ROM that is stable with lots of users.

I currently have a v4.3 ROM and have ClockworkMod Recovery on my phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
Hello,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon

You should try some, what works correctly for one person may not work the same for you. I suggest Philz recovery for flashing kitkat ROMS. It never fails for flashing or restoring backups.

sent from my Gs3

Reactions: Mr. Struck

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Any LTE issues with this rom?

I haven't run it myself, was just pointing out where to download for the other user. Not a fan of Slim actually, hated it on a previous phone (different Android build as well), but a lot of users are pretty diehard about it. Personally, I'm all about the LiquidSmooth, with Beanstalk and AICP at the top of the list as well. However, if the lovely @Jessooca recommends, you can 100% rely on that recommendation (OK, 99.99%, little inside joke for her!).

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
I haven't run it myself, was just pointing out where to download for the other user. Not a fan of Slim actually, hated it on a previous phone (different Android build as well), but a lot of users are pretty diehard about it. Personally, I'm all about the LiquidSmooth, with Beanstalk and AICP at the top of the list as well. However, if the lovely @Jessooca recommends, you can 100% rely on that recommendation (OK, 99.99%, little inside joke for her!).

LOL. What I've read in other threads most custom ROMs have issues with LTE. That's why I was wondering.

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
LOL. What I've read in other threads most custom ROMs have issues with LTE. That's why I was wondering.

Yeah, there have been lots of issues with the unified builds for the last two or three weeks for the ROMs that have gone with d2lte. The three I mentioned (LS, Beanstalk, and AICP) are favorites of mine right now because of a lack of issues in terms of data connectivity. My personal experience on others, like Carbon and CM11, is that LTE is fine, but they won't connect to 3G no matter what I try. This is an issue because I only have LTE access at my house, which is worthless because I use WiFi at home. At work, or whenever else I'm in town, there's no LTE, so 3G access is a must. I suppose it's a case of "flash it and see if it works" on any given ROM right now.

Reactions: Robbie Doo

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
Yeah, there have been lots of issues with the unified builds for the last two or three weeks for the ROMs that have gone with d2lte. The three I mentioned (LS, Beanstalk, and AICP) are favorites of mine right now because of a lack of issues in terms of data connectivity. My personal experience on others, like Carbon and CM11, is that LTE is fine, but they won't connect to 3G no matter what I try. This is an issue because I only have LTE access at my house, which is worthless because I use WiFi at home. At work, or whenever else I'm in town, there's no LTE, so 3G access is a must. I suppose it's a case of "flash it and see if it works" on any given ROM right now.

Thanx, I'll give LS a try and see how it works. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: Mr. Struck

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado

If you have working data (LTE & 3G) on your current ROM, make sure to make a backup of your APN settings just in case, apparently a lot of the users, on any ROM, who have experienced issues have had to fiddle with their APN settings to get things working again. Doesn't hurt to flash a stock based ROM for this purpose as well, and know how to do a PRL/Profile update on stock based also. There is a really good app on the Play Store called APN Backup and Restore for this purpose, it needs to be in the /system/priv-app file in order to work properly on KitKat just FYI.

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
If you have working data (LTE & 3G) on your current ROM, make sure to make a backup of your APN settings just in case, apparently a lot of the users, on any ROM, who have experienced issues have had to fiddle with their APN settings to get things working again. Doesn't hurt to flash a stock based ROM for this purpose as well, and know how to do a PRL/Profile update on stock based also. There is a really good app on the Play Store called APN Backup and Restore for this purpose, it needs to be in the /system/priv-app file in order to work properly on KitKat just FYI.

Thanks for the info. However, that's my ordeal. Ever since I switched to CM 11 drlte from drspr I get no LTE. It's always on 3G, and I live in a 4G/LTE area. I like the ROM very much but I thought I'm paying for 4G/LTE service and I'm not getting any. Might as well find something that works (at least temporarily), until they sort it out.

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Thanks for the info. However, that's my ordeal. Ever since I switched to CM 11 drlte from drspr I get no LTE. It's always on 3G, and I live in a 4G/LTE area. I like the ROM very much but I thought I'm paying for 4G/LTE service and I'm not getting any. Might as well find something that works (at least temporarily), until they sort it out.

In that case I would highly recommend booting up any stock based ROM in order to do an update to your PRL and Profile. Once booted up, open the phone app and dial ##72786#. The phone will do two reboots, and then you will be good to go. Don't touch anything until it has definitely finished the procedure. Not saying that this will enable LTE on CM11, but sometimes users have retained data issues when switching ROMs until they have done this procedure, i.e. another ROM that doesn't have LTE issues may not show LTE connectivity until you update PRL/Profile.

Reactions: Robbie Doo

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
In that case I would highly recommend booting up any stock based ROM in order to do an update to your PRL and Profile. Once booted up, open the phone app and dial ##72786#. The phone will do two reboots, and then you will be good to go. Don't touch anything until it has definitely finished the procedure. Not saying that this will enable LTE on CM11, but sometimes users have retained data issues when switching ROMs until they have done this procedure, i.e. another ROM that doesn't have LTE issues may not show LTE connectivity until you update PRL/Profile.

Thanks, I will try it now.

Robbie Doo

Jan 3, 2011
SoCal
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus

Anyhow, Mr. Struck. I went back to stock and did what you have suggested. Went back to custom and got my LTE back. Everything seems to be working ok (so far).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon

You should try some, what works correctly for one person may not work the same for you. I suggest Philz recovery for flashing kitkat ROMS. It never fails for flashing or restoring backups.

sent from my Gs3