[Q] Phone keeps saying "Preparing SIM card"

Search This thread

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I installed the latest RUU from HTC (4.13.651.4) Phone is S-OFF.

Immediately, upon first boot, the phone keeps saying "Preparing SIM card..." There is nothing that seems to stop it. I have reflashed the firmware, ran the RUU several times, ##72786# reset, but the phone keeps going in this endless loop of "Preparing SIM card", which drains the battery and even turns off the cellular radio at random times.

Sprint support has no clue and I am basically left with no options at this point.

What can be done -- do I need a new phone??

Last edited:

Sinistertensai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 10, 2010
Boston
Google Pixel 6
I installed the latest RUU from HTC (4.13.651.4) and have TWRP and SuperSU v. 1.94 running. Phone is S-OFF.

Immediately, the phone.apk app keeps asking for superuser privileges to chmod 666 a sys file of some kind. I tried doing fix permissions from within TWRP, granting/denying the request, reflashing the RUU, but nothing seems to work.

I don't know why all of a sudden it decided to do this. It drains the battery really fast, too and interferes with the normal operation of the device.

grant permissions or use another superuser app, this has been a bug in superSU for quite a while.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
grant permissions or use another superuser app, this has been a bug in superSU for quite a while.

As I said in my original post, I tried granting it permissions and it still does it even though it has permission.

Also, it did not do this before. It just started doing it overnight one time and drained the phone until it died. I thought that reflashing the RUU would fix it, but apparently not...

Sinistertensai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 10, 2010
Boston
Google Pixel 6
As I said in my original post, I tried granting it permissions and it still does it even though it has permission.

Also, it did not do this before. It just started doing it overnight one time and drained the phone until it died. I thought that reflashing the RUU would fix it, but apparently not...

try another superuser then. and odd it's repeatedly asking. you running any mods, tweaks, xposed?

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
try another superuser then. and odd it's repeatedly asking. you running any mods, tweaks, xposed?

There are no modifications. I simply flash the RUU 4.13.651.4. Flash TWRP. Problem occurs. In fact, I don't even have to have SuperSU installed. I know it is trying to do something because it keeps cycling through saying "Reading SIM card..." and there is an icon on the top left that has a picture of a SIM card with an exclamation point on it.

Last edited:

ElMadre

May 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Do a data reset from dialer ##72786# and when it loads (you may have to wait a few seconds) select reset from upper right corner. You may need to switch to CDMA Only to get it to work--I did. This solved the problem for me. I was having almost identical SIM card problems after running the RUU.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
Do a data reset from dialer ##72786# and when it loads (you may have to wait a few seconds) select reset from upper right corner. You may need to switch to CDMA Only to get it to work--I did. This solved the problem for me. I was having almost identical SIM card problems after running the RUU.

I tried this already and it did not fix it.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I tried a different ROM, but it still happens. I don't have the TEP from Sprint. I don't know what I should do. I can't have the phone like this...

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I updated my first post to reflect everything that I have tried and I am basically left with a messed up device.

Any ideas?

G

GuestK0087

I updated my first post to reflect everything that I have tried and I am basically left with a messed up device.

Any ideas?

I would consider using VipeRUU or using the official HTC RUU for 3.17 firmware. Since you're S-off, you can revert back to older software.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
I installed the latest RUU from HTC (4.13.651.4) Phone is S-OFF.

Immediately, upon first boot, the phone keeps saying "Preparing SIM card..." There is nothing that seems to stop it. I have reflashed the firmware, ran the RUU several times, ##72786# reset, but the phone keeps going in this endless loop of "Preparing SIM card", which drains the battery and even turns off the cellular radio at random times.

Sprint support has no clue and I am basically left with no options at this point.

What can be done -- do I need a new phone??

Preparing sim card is a normal process and always happens at boot. It's part of 4.3 update and it's also present on the HTC One. It just basically preparing your data services. But if it's continuously doing it throughout the day and not just boot up something is not right. Usually the fix would be to reprovision using ##72786# and let it do a hands free activation but you already stated that didn't work so I'm stumped.

Edit: Maybe it's your coverage that's draining your battery. Did you ask the Sprint rep if there was work being done in your area?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
Preparing sim card is a normal process and always happens at boot. It's part of 4.3 update and it's also present on the HTC One. It just basically preparing your data services. But if it's continuously doing it throughout the day and not just boot up something is not right. Usually the fix would be to reprovision using ##72786# and let it do a hands free activation but you already stated that didn't work so I'm stumped.

Edit: Maybe it's your coverage that's draining your battery. Did you ask the Sprint rep if there was work being done in your area?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

It was doing it in multiple places (work, gym, home) and they are not all in the same area. Takes about ~15-20 minutes to get to each place from another.

I'm assuming that the process of it constantly saying "Preparing SIM Card" is draining the battery because I don't know what else would drain it. It gets a good signal, at least from the indicator of the signal bars.

This morning, the phone did not show that it had the cellular radio off. I'll leave it unplugged today and see if it drains and see if I observe the Preparing SIM Card loop.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
Here is the 3.17 official RUU:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-evo-4g-lte-sprint/news/

Sent from my EVO LTE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I tried installing that...it puts the old HBOOT firmware on the device, but then it gets stuck at the white HTC screen. I had to reflash the latest firmware via PJ75IMG.zip to be able to boot properly. Upon booting, it's back to the same ROM. :(

I've tried VipeRUU and it flashes the firmware, but then computer says "Unrecognized USB device" when it tries to flash the rom the second time.

I'm installing Windows 7 on another computer to see if I get any success with it on there.

:(

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I tried installing that...it puts the old HBOOT firmware on the device, but then it gets stuck at the white HTC screen. I had to reflash the latest firmware via PJ75IMG.zip to be able to boot properly. Upon booting, it's back to the same ROM. :(

I've tried VipeRUU and it flashes the firmware, but then computer says "Unrecognized USB device" when it tries to flash the rom the second time.

I'm installing Windows 7 on another computer to see if I get any success with it on there.

:(

I was able to successfully flash an older ROM using Windows 7.

Now I can't get the device to activate properly. Did a ##72786# and turned on WiFi to activate, but no go :(

EDIT: Got it to activate, but can't get it to get a data connection at all.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0087

I was able to successfully flash an older ROM using Windows 7.

Now I can't get the device to activate properly. Did a ##72786# and turned on WiFi to activate, but no go :(

Did you try the "activate device" option in settings?

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
You could call Sprint and have them reprovision from their end.

Sprint is closed now. I tried putting another ROM on it (4.13.651.3) and it doesn't get data either. Will Sprint be able to get it to have data again? This is becoming a major pain now. I don't understand why the Preparing SIM card loop issue happened in the first place.