Xperia X8 update 2.1 Discussion thread

Search This thread

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
As you know update is already out. Here is information how to change your customization code so you can update:

1. You need your phone to be rooted. I use superoneclick 1.5.0. for me it works best. Newest versions do not work correctly at my X8. The attached archive X8win is the superonelick 1.5.0. You should enable usb debugging (settings->applications-development) and connect the phone to your pc. If you do not have drivers for the debug mode you can use the ones from the "X8 drivers" archive which i have also attached. After you have the drivers installed ,usb debug enabled and phone connected start superoneclick.exe and press root. You may need to wait 5 or even 10 minutes for it to complete. Wait until you see "Your device is rooted" popup.

2. Install root explorer. I have also attached it. Start root explorer. Open the "system" folder. In the upper right corner of root explorer you will see "Mount R/W" button. Press it. Now go to the build.prop file. Long press on it and select "Open in text editor". You should edit the following items:

ro.product.name=E15i_XXXX-XXXX where XXXX-XXXX is the customization code. For example mine is 1241-3708 but there is still no update for it.

ro.build.fingerprint=SEMC/E15i_XXXX-XXXX/sonyEricssonE15i/

ro.semc.version.cust=XXXX-XXXX

You should replace XXXX-XXXX with the desired customization code for all the lines listed above.

When ready press the menu button (left) while still in the text editor and press save.

3. VERY IMPORTANT - REBOOT YOUR PHONE.
4. After reboot check for update with Update service or PC Companion and it should find it.

If you edit your build.prop on your pc and return it back to the phone you should correct it's permissions so that it can be read by user, group and others and written by group using root explorer.

You can also see the codes which have the update at the sony ericsson product blog:

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2010/11/

Customization codes with update so far:

1242-7327
1236-9291
1241-4091 - It is russian firmware but has following languages:

Russian Firmware contains languages:
Русский (Russian)
Bahasa Indonesia
Bahasa Melayu
Basa Sunda
Bosanski
Catala
Cestina
Dansk
Deutch (Deutschland, Liechtenstein, Oesterreich, Schweiz)
Eesti
English (Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zeland, Singapore, South Africa, UK, US)
Espanol (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Espana, Mexico)
Euskara
Francais (Belgique, Canada, France, Suisse)
Galego
Hrvatski
Islenka
Italiano (Italia, Svizzera)
Jawa
Laviesu
Lietuviu
Magyar
Nederlands (Belgie, Nederlands)
Norsk bokmai
Polski
Portugues (Brasil, Portugal)
Romana
Shqipe
Slovenscina
Slovensky
Srpski
Suomi
Svenska
Tagalog
Turkce
Greece
Bulgarian
Kaзak
Ukrainian
Korean
Chinese (simplified)
Chinese (traditional)
Chinese (Hong Kong)

Here is how to check your customization code:

1. Lock the screen of your phone. Press the menu button (left button) so that the screen is lit but still locked.
2. Press the home (central button) and back (right button) in following sequence:

home-back-back-home-back-home-home-back

Try several times if you can not do it the first time. when successful secret menu will appear. Go to Service info->Software info and find "customization version"
It should be something like 1241-3708_R3A (this is my code, your will be different but the same format).

CURRENTLY THEE IS NO WORKING ROOT FOR 2.1. Superoneclick and z4root do not work.

Attachments

• X8win.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 14,587
  • com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer.v2.12.2.apk
    233.3 KB · Views: 10,071
Last edited:

Alihosny

Oct 22, 2010
cairo
i am wondering since x10 mini and x8 are basically the same can we flash x8 with x10 mini 2.1 rom ?i sent Bin4ry a message asking and waiting for response.

p.s x8 was supposed to ship with 2.1 or 2.1 two weeks after release.what are you doing SE?

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I don't think that we will be able to use X10 mini image to flash x8 because the screen size and resolution are different and also the camera. Of course i will be very happy if Bin4ry proves me wrong and it is possible. X8 with this price is very attractive phone but SE should quickly update it to 2.1 so it sells even better.

deconfrost

Feb 24, 2010
we certainly need the update for x8, its a good phone, pitty about the OS at the moment limiting its potentials

pulpoff

Mar 8, 2007
Cooking custom rom for X8

Greetings all,
I will post these tips for those willing to repeat the success of custom roms on the X10i.

You can find a few X10i forums where they have cooked cyanogen rom.
To cook the new 2.1/2.2 rom, use standard kitchen from this link :
Cooker guide

You can start with HTC Legend template, but than modifications to .mk file are required.
Finally all the binary libs and custom files should be added to the rom, than cook it.
Once cooked (took 50min on dual P4-3Ghz machine), you get update.zip, system.img and boot.img files.
I've been playing with .zip files and noticed they don't have file permissions kept.
So the one to use is system.img, you can extract files from it with unyaffs tool (google it, its free).
If you extract files under unix (Linux/MacOS) file permissions will be kept and files are ready to be copied to the phone.
It's quite annoying to flash phone every time you made a mistake, so first make sure you prepare your X8 to boot from sdcard.

To boot from sdcard, we need to hijack the boot process from sony and mount our own /system and /data partitions.
After booting kernel, X8 runs the init.rc script that loads up Android.
Before the start, it checks if phone is off and plugged to charge (you probably saw this feature when phone is switched off on charge and screen shows battery animation)

This check is called chargemon, and its /system/bin/chargemon.
We can replace this file with a script.
Prepare the card like this :

1. FAT partition (fat16/fat32), 100MB or more
2. /system partition EXT2, 512MB
3. /data partition EXT2, 512MB

Once partitioning is done, mount the 2nd and 3rd partition on the phone and copy files over :

mkdir /data/local/tmp/1
mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/local/tmp/1
busybox cp -rp /system/* /data/local/tmp/1/
umount /data/local/tmp/1
mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data/local/tmp/1
busybox cp -rp /data/* /data/local/tmp/1/
umount /data/local/tmp/1

This script will make phone mount /system and /data partitions from the sdcard :
chargemon:
#!/system/bin/sh

# Mount system and data @SD card
/system/bin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
/system/bin/mount -t ext2 -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data
/system/bin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
/system/bin/mount -t ext2 -o rw,noatime,nodiratime /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

create file chargemon, chmod it 755 and put in /system/bin/
You should also put e2fsck from CM Legend rom in /system/bin/ and ext2 libs that it needs into /system/lib/, or put a # before checks if you don't care :)

If sdcard is not present, phone will boot in normal way, and with sdcard inside you can boot your custom rom or modified standard system (for example with lots of installed apps and custom framework/fonts/...)

I hope this helps someone with more time, as I don't have much experience cooking roms.

Summary
1. Kernel can't be changed until bootloader is hacked, so we have to stick with 2.6.29.
2. Boot process can be hijacked by modifying files called from init.rc script.
3. We can boot anything from the sdcard

P.S. if you have little idea what this is about, better wait and don't bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: SharpnShiny

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I tried to get information from SE online chat support but without success. I asked about the date when it will be available, will the 16 million colors be enabled and if there will be froyo for it but for all my questions i received answers that they do not have such information. So currently nothing in particular for X8 unfortunately.

Alihosny

Oct 22, 2010
cairo
black xperia x8 running 2.1 :(so it's ready and iam sure it is) why not roll it

http:/ /www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MWmPUPhy0&feature=player_embedded

may be they want to give x10/mini users a premium feel :)

sorry for wrong link (corrected now)

Last edited:

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Here are some good news - firmware 2.0.A.0.504 was approved in ptcrb at 05.11 so i think that we are pretty close to the final update now.Let's hope that in maximum 2 weeks we will get it.

Alihosny

Oct 22, 2010
cairo
yeaaaaaaah 2.0.A.0.504 is the released sw version for both x10 and x10 mini/pro so this is the release version for x8 ,it's absolutely ready.i bet in a matter of days because this is the final version no more testing . they only need to upload it to the servers (for unbranded phones of course).crossing fingers

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Well i just had very strange chat with SE support.Here it is:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Agent Patricia.
Agent Patricia: Thank you for choosing Sony Ericsson Chat Support. My name is Patricia your Xperia™ Support Representative. How can I help you today?
Peter Angelov: Hello. Do you have any new information about the xperia x8 update to android 2.1? Can you tell me when we can expect it?
Peter Angelov: I see on ptcrb.com that build 504 of the 2.1 update for x8 is approved at november 5.
Agent Patricia: The roll-out of the Android 2.1 based updates for Xperia X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro started on Sunday October 31st.
So far we have received confirmation that the generic kits for the Nordic countries will be the very first ones out on Sunday evening and then there will be more kits coming already during Monday and then the roll-out will continue throughout the month of November.
Peter Angelov: As far as i know that means that the update itself is ready and only need to be aproved for redistribution
Peter Angelov: I am asking about x8
Peter Angelov: Not about x10.
Agent Patricia: It is the same information for the X8.
Peter Angelov: Are you sure? Because the only official information i see (including your product blog) says that the update for x8 will be released later than x10 series and before the end of the year.
Peter Angelov: If we can expect it this month together with x10 updates that will be great
Agent Patricia: As you can see the update has been released.
Peter Angelov: If this is the case can you tell me in which countries it will be offered initially?
Peter Angelov: For x10 yes but not for x8
Peter Angelov: I have not seen a single user of x8 able to upgrade so far
Agent Patricia: The availability of the update will depend on the location and service provider.
Agent Patricia: As mentioned before, it is the same information for the X8.
Peter Angelov: Ok but does this mean that the update for Nordic x8 should already be released?
Agent Patricia: You need to wait.
Peter Angelov: If the information is the same for X8 the update for nordic countries should already be released right?
Agent Patricia: yes
Peter Angelov: Ok thank you for this information.

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
As you can see they claim that the X8 update should be out together with the X10 updates. I do not think that this is correct because if this was correct someone would already have updated their X8 and the news would spread like wildfire. Anyway somebody with Nordic firmware willing to check for updates?

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Same for me with Generic World. I wish somebody with nordic firmware to see. I would try to brand to nordic and check but unfortunately i don't know what i should edit in the default.prop file for X8 to make it nordic.

DerEineDa

Aug 3, 2010
Well, that's indeed a strange chat. I think someone should ask another support-agent.

On the SE Product Blog all questions regarding the X8-update were completely ignored by Rikard. Other questions regarding the X10 got answered by him, though.

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I completely agree that it is strange.That is why i asked the question several times but received the same answer.

Alihosny

Oct 22, 2010
cairo
this is my chat(nothing yet) :

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Agent Patricia.
Agent Patricia: Thank you for choosing Sony Ericsson Chat Support. My name is Patricia your Xperia™ Support Representative. How can I help you today?
Customer: i am asking about the x8 2.1 update
Agent Patricia: Where are you located?
Customer: Africa Egypt with generic world kit
Agent Patricia: The upidate was released in many African countries already. You need to wait until the update is available in your location and then use PC Companion to update the phone.
Customer: i am asking about the x8 not the x10
Customer: is the xperia x8 update to 2.1 released?
Agent Patricia: I have confirmed now and it hasn't been released.
Agent Patricia: We do not know when it is going to be released.
Agent Patricia: There is no date yet.
Customer: but i bought the x8 as sony ericsson promised 2.1 update will be available for x8 few weeks after release
Customer: now more than 6 weeks and nothing
Agent Patricia: Correct, but there is no date yet.
Agent Patricia: The roll-out of the update started on October 31st.
Customer: i mean the x8 update
Agent Patricia: The update for X10 was released on October 31st. You can expect the update for X8 few weeks after that.
Agent Patricia: But we do not have a date yet.
Customer: ok thank you
Agent Patricia: It could be this month or next month.
Agent Patricia: Thank you for choosing Sony Ericsson.

pulpoff

Mar 8, 2007
It's clear that online chat-supporters are outsourced cheap people from distant countries that are hired to keep customers "interactively screwed up" nothing more nothing less.
They know nothing about updates or technology, it's a real wonder they can keep robot-like chat session.
I suppose its time we say to Sony support loud and clear : F U C K Y O U Patricia Agents.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you know update is already out. Here is information how to change your customization code so you can update:

1. You need your phone to be rooted. I use superoneclick 1.5.0. for me it works best. Newest versions do not work correctly at my X8. The attached archive X8win is the superonelick 1.5.0. You should enable usb debugging (settings->applications-development) and connect the phone to your pc. If you do not have drivers for the debug mode you can use the ones from the "X8 drivers" archive which i have also attached. After you have the drivers installed ,usb debug enabled and phone connected start superoneclick.exe and press root. You may need to wait 5 or even 10 minutes for it to complete. Wait until you see "Your device is rooted" popup.

2. Install root explorer. I have also attached it. Start root explorer. Open the "system" folder. In the upper right corner of root explorer you will see "Mount R/W" button. Press it. Now go to the build.prop file. Long press on it and select "Open in text editor". You should edit the following items:

ro.product.name=E15i_XXXX-XXXX where XXXX-XXXX is the customization code. For example mine is 1241-3708 but there is still no update for it.

ro.build.fingerprint=SEMC/E15i_XXXX-XXXX/sonyEricssonE15i/

ro.semc.version.cust=XXXX-XXXX

You should replace XXXX-XXXX with the desired customization code for all the lines listed above.

When ready press the menu button (left) while still in the text editor and press save.

3. VERY IMPORTANT - REBOOT YOUR PHONE.
    4. After reboot check for update with Update service or PC Companion and it should find it.

If you edit your build.prop on your pc and return it back to the phone you should correct it's permissions so that it can be read by user, group and others and written by group using root explorer.

You can also see the codes which have the update at the sony ericsson product blog:

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2010/11/

Customization codes with update so far:

1242-7327
    1236-9291
    1241-4091 - It is russian firmware but has following languages:

Russian Firmware contains languages:
    Русский (Russian)
    Bahasa Indonesia
    Bahasa Melayu
    Basa Sunda
    Bosanski
    Catala
    Cestina
    Dansk
    Deutch (Deutschland, Liechtenstein, Oesterreich, Schweiz)
    Eesti
    English (Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zeland, Singapore, South Africa, UK, US)
    Espanol (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Espana, Mexico)
    Euskara
    Francais (Belgique, Canada, France, Suisse)
    Galego
    Hrvatski
    Islenka
    Italiano (Italia, Svizzera)
    Jawa
    Laviesu
    Lietuviu
    Magyar
    Nederlands (Belgie, Nederlands)
    Norsk bokmai
    Polski
    Portugues (Brasil, Portugal)
    Romana
    Shqipe
    Slovenscina
    Slovensky
    Srpski
    Suomi
    Svenska
    Tagalog
    Turkce
    Greece
    Bulgarian
    Kaзak
    Ukrainian
    Korean
    Chinese (simplified)
    Chinese (traditional)
    Chinese (Hong Kong)

Here is how to check your customization code:

1. Lock the screen of your phone. Press the menu button (left button) so that the screen is lit but still locked.
    2. Press the home (central button) and back (right button) in following sequence:

home-back-back-home-back-home-home-back

Try several times if you can not do it the first time. when successful secret menu will appear. Go to Service info->Software info and find "customization version"
    It should be something like 1241-3708_R3A (this is my code, your will be different but the same format).

CURRENTLY THEE IS NO WORKING ROOT FOR 2.1. Superoneclick and z4root do not work.
    Cooking custom rom for X8

Greetings all,
    I will post these tips for those willing to repeat the success of custom roms on the X10i.

You can find a few X10i forums where they have cooked cyanogen rom.
    To cook the new 2.1/2.2 rom, use standard kitchen from this link :
    Cooker guide

You can start with HTC Legend template, but than modifications to .mk file are required.
    Finally all the binary libs and custom files should be added to the rom, than cook it.
    Once cooked (took 50min on dual P4-3Ghz machine), you get update.zip, system.img and boot.img files.
    I've been playing with .zip files and noticed they don't have file permissions kept.
    So the one to use is system.img, you can extract files from it with unyaffs tool (google it, its free).
    If you extract files under unix (Linux/MacOS) file permissions will be kept and files are ready to be copied to the phone.
    It's quite annoying to flash phone every time you made a mistake, so first make sure you prepare your X8 to boot from sdcard.

To boot from sdcard, we need to hijack the boot process from sony and mount our own /system and /data partitions.
    After booting kernel, X8 runs the init.rc script that loads up Android.
    Before the start, it checks if phone is off and plugged to charge (you probably saw this feature when phone is switched off on charge and screen shows battery animation)

This check is called chargemon, and its /system/bin/chargemon.
    We can replace this file with a script.
    Prepare the card like this :

1. FAT partition (fat16/fat32), 100MB or more
    2. /system partition EXT2, 512MB
    3. /data partition EXT2, 512MB

Once partitioning is done, mount the 2nd and 3rd partition on the phone and copy files over :

mkdir /data/local/tmp/1
    mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/local/tmp/1
    busybox cp -rp /system/* /data/local/tmp/1/
    umount /data/local/tmp/1
    mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data/local/tmp/1
    busybox cp -rp /data/* /data/local/tmp/1/
    umount /data/local/tmp/1

This script will make phone mount /system and /data partitions from the sdcard :
    chargemon:
    #!/system/bin/sh

# Mount system and data @SD card
    /system/bin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    /system/bin/mount -t ext2 -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data
    /system/bin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    /system/bin/mount -t ext2 -o rw,noatime,nodiratime /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

create file chargemon, chmod it 755 and put in /system/bin/
    You should also put e2fsck from CM Legend rom in /system/bin/ and ext2 libs that it needs into /system/lib/, or put a # before checks if you don't care :)

If sdcard is not present, phone will boot in normal way, and with sdcard inside you can boot your custom rom or modified standard system (for example with lots of installed apps and custom framework/fonts/...)

I hope this helps someone with more time, as I don't have much experience cooking roms.

Summary
    1. Kernel can't be changed until bootloader is hacked, so we have to stick with 2.6.29.
    2. Boot process can be hijacked by modifying files called from init.rc script.
    3. We can boot anything from the sdcard

P.S. if you have little idea what this is about, better wait and don't bother.
    Second update try was successfull. Now I have 2.1 in my x8