[Q] Infinite "Unbooting Loop" on Padfone Mini

Search This thread

Zizibaluba

Sep 5, 2010
While not the Padfone X, I figure a Padfone Mini is close enough to post here. This phone is unrooted.

This morning, when I realized my Padfone had turned off, I attempted to turn it back on. It goes through the 2 ASUS logos (first one without animation, the second, with animation and spinning booting dots). It boots up my locked home screen, but immediately shows the "shutting down" overlay above it. I attempted to turn it on a few more times without getting past the shut down.

I don't think I've missed any usual steps in trouble shooting, but here is a list of things I've done (and any notes I have about them):
  • Take out the battery for about 1/2 minute to a minute then powered back on.
  • Press the power button while the "shut down" overlay is going. This brings up the ASUS skin with "shut down," "restart," and "airplane mode."
  • Go into the recovery menu, cleared the cache. (Auto restarts phone).
  • Factory reset via the recovery menu.
  • Factory reset then cleared the cache.
  • Force turn off the phone by pulling the battery during different parts of the boot cycle. Also did this via holding onto the power button.
  • "Updated" firmware from official ASUS released firmwares. Updated is in quotes because I don't know what region of the firmware to use. So far I've tried all for regions (and different releases) to no avail.

One possible cause of this problem was that this phone was left in a small puddle of water for some 10-20 minutes (from condensation via the outside of a cup). It was enough to seep through to the battery. The phone was working with the water on the backside, which I immediately wiped off when I found out about it. I would attribute the problem to the water, but the phone was working for approximately 5-8 hours after that incident without any anomalies.

One other potential cause (however unlikely) is that I have been using the USB cord from my nuvifone, but using the plug from the padfone mini. I very much doubt this was the cause of the problem.

I would like to put the phone in the dock to see what happens, but it's not accessible to me at the moment (and it has its own problems with charging the internal battery). I'll have access to it late tomorrow.

I think I've had the phone for about 1/2 a year so far, for anyone that wants a time frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything else I should try?