GPS fix for Captivate- Share experience

Search This thread

zinkoxyde

Dec 2, 2010
I just installed Apex 12.1 with the I9000UGKG3 modem on my Cappy. While I admit this is anecdotal, I am getting the best GPS performance I've seen yet. The GPS data is still wrong though.

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
Did anyone else have luck installing effinGPS.zip?

In an indirect way and partial way, yes.
Mostly, it's the h3llstrom fix.

I took the h3llstrom gps.conf file and other file, an xml that belong s in the system/etc folder and used file manager to overwrite the existing conf file.

After this change, I typically get a gps position in about 12 to 20 seconds outdoors. Before with factory config (GB KK4) its took minutes to get a position.

To verify the change worked, I switched files back to the old config and tested again in same place - it took several minutes to get a position.

Switched its back to h3llstrom and it again did the positiion in about 15 seconds.

vermit25

Oct 15, 2010
h3llstrom gps.conf on stock

In an indirect way and partial way, yes.
Mostly, it's the h3llstrom fix.

I took the h3llstrom gps.conf file and other file, an xml that belong s in the system/etc folder and used file manager to overwrite the existing conf file.

After this change, I typically get a gps position in about 12 to 20 seconds outdoors. Before with factory config (GB KK4) its took minutes to get a position.

To verify the change worked, I switched files back to the old config and tested again in same place - it took several minutes to get a position.

Switched its back to h3llstrom and it again did the positiion in about 15 seconds.

Will I be able to use h3llstrom gps.conf file on my stock rogers captivate?
So can I just copy paste the file (I am not rooted)?

SGT_Watkins

May 2, 2011
Schweinfurt
I am running ICS on the captivate and I am getting an Error0. I was wondering if there is a definite fix because I am in Germany at the moment and the GPS would greatly help lol

podmanvn

Sep 8, 2011
Well, i have a wrong location on google map and compass is suck too
Using MIUI scotland build and glitch kernel v14

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
never had GPS issues

Until undervolted too much.
Using Google Maps will not help you.
Use any of the offline GPS applications.
Sygic Aura always worked for me on Froyo, GB and now on ICS.
:cool:

whisky23

Mar 22, 2012
mixed results on gps

Currently running Slim ICS 3.4 stock, with UGK3 modem. H3llstrom fix also installed, though not sure if it was necessary for Slim ICS. Using Papago 5X, with offline maps for the Southeast Asian region. I'm not using the phone with a data plan, so at home, the phone gets connected to my wifi.

When the phone has access to the internet i.e. wifi, the gps fix is quite fast. 10-20 seconds, even indoors. Accuracy overall is ok. However, without wifi or data access, the gps is near hopeless (for me at least). I have had it in a car with me, driving for almost 40 minutes, and having reached my destination it still hadn't gotten a lock on my position. It helps, of course, to have that data access to get that initial position lock for some level of accuracy.

I've tried all sorts of apps to try to improve the gps. The only one that improved my gps performance without data / wifi was GPS Status, which I assume downloads satellite data which helps improve GPS performance for a few days. I run GPS Status first, which helps the phone get a lock on the satellites (even without data or wifi, this is very fast), then I run my GPS software. Short of getting myself a dedicated GPS, this is the only thing that has made the GPS work for me.