[HOW-TO] Root Jelly Bean

Search This thread

mikeynavy1

Dec 14, 2012
As many have already mentioned, the link to the custom CWM Recovery file is no longer valid. Can someone upload and post a new link? I'm new to this, and just bought an unlocked TF700 (with Jelly Bean) but would like to root. I'm assuming the ROMs available at ClockworkMod's website won't work. Thanks.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
As many have already mentioned, the link to the custom CWM Recovery file is no longer valid. Can someone upload and post a new link? I'm new to this, and just bought an unlocked TF700 (with Jelly Bean) but would like to root. I'm assuming the ROMs available at ClockworkMod's website won't work. Thanks.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426636
The above is for CWM Touch you don't have to key thru the menu with the volume button.
Still flashable via ADB.

Check the development thread for info on Clockwork: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1926286

Good luck and welcome on board!

Reactions: mikeynavy1

mikeynavy1

Dec 14, 2012
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426636
The above is for CWM Touch you don't have to key thru the menu with the volume button.
Still flashable via ADB.

Check the development thread for info on Clockwork: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1926286

Good luck and welcome on board!

Thanks. I went and downloaded the file from the link you provided. Can you please explain what you mean by not having to use the menu/volume button? In my reading I'm assuming you're referring to starting the tablet in fast or recovery mode? Is there a place to see step-by-step instructions on what I need to do to root this thing? I have the fast boot file, SU, and now the Clockwork file you provided. Thanks again for your help.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Can you please explain what you mean by not having to use the menu/volume button?

Ah...
You will still need to boot into CWM Touch with V-down and power held on.
The old CWM recovery worked by using the volume -\+ to navigate it.
It's onscreen menu is very small so it was a bit more inconvenient that way.
CWM Touch and TWRP are tap interface recoveries that make navigation much much easier.

If you need platform tools which includes ADB there are instructions here :http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-adb-and-how-to-install-it-android/

Follow the instructions to get the tools to your PC.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Thanks. I went and downloaded the file from the link you provided. Can you please explain what you mean by not having to use the menu/volume button? In my reading I'm assuming you're referring to starting the tablet in fast or recovery mode? Is there a place to see step-by-step instructions on what I need to do to root this thing? I have the fast boot file, SU, and now the Clockwork file you provided. Thanks again for your help.

Highly recommend to use twrp instead of cwm. tf700 likes twrp better!!

mikeynavy1

Dec 14, 2012
Thanks

Thanks buhohitr and Thats OK. I used TWRP and then flashed SuperSU 0.99 with no problems. Out of curiosity, if I do a factory reset from within Android Settings, I assume I'll lose SuperSU (or Superuser if I was using that) but will the device still be rooted or would I need to reflash from CW Recovery or TWRP?

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Out of curiosity, if I do a factory reset from within Android Settings, I assume I'll lose SuperSU (or Superuser if I was using that) but will the device still be rooted or would I need to reflash from CW Recovery or TWRP?

I've never tried it myself, but I would expect "factory reset" to only delete the data partition. Since su is a modification of the system partition, it should survive a factory reset, so reinstalling SuperSU should be enough.

MovingZen

Feb 22, 2012
Charleston, Sc.
So I'm trying this on two different computers and can't seem to get it going on either. I'm unlocked on stock jelly bean. I'm trying to do the adb method of getting to twrp or cwm so that I can root and move on to custom roms but -
on my win7 64 bit machine I can't get my pc to load drivers for my tablet in fastboot. I've tried several different ways to get them including universal drivers but I keep getting errors and am stuck trying to load the universal drivers with an error that there isn't a 64 bit version for my device. I've done all kinds of searching and can't seem to find a solution that works. I think the closest I got was modifying the driver files so they would work with my device but I got scared off and now can't find that method. I would give it a try as a last resort but can't seem to find the instructions again.
on my win xp 32 bit machine everything seems fine but when I type in the fastboot -i command line I get an error saying fastboot doesn't recognize that command line parameter and come up with the command line help stuff.. and -i is not listed. I've reinstalled adb on the xp computer but get the same result.

I tried goomanager but that obviously doesn't work without root permissions.. so I'm stuck in a loop here all unlocked with nowhere to go.

please, can someone help me get past one of these issues so I can flash twrp or cwm? I would rather get past the issue on my win 7 64 bit computer because the xp one is a 8 year old pos and frustratingly slow. 64 bit fastboot drivers for the asus tf700t would be a godsend right about now.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

jmonroe0914

So I'm trying this on two different computers and can't seem to get it going on either. I'm unlocked on stock jelly bean. I'm trying to do the adb method of getting to twrp or cwm so that I can root and move on to custom roms but -
on my win7 64 bit machine I can't get my pc to load drivers for my tablet in fastboot. I've tried several different ways to get them including universal drivers but I keep getting errors and am stuck trying to load the universal drivers with an error that there isn't a 64 bit version for my device. I've done all kinds of searching and can't seem to find a solution that works. I think the closest I got was modifying the driver files so they would work with my device but I got scared off and now can't find that method. I would give it a try as a last resort but can't seem to find the instructions again.
on my win xp 32 bit machine everything seems fine but when I type in the fastboot -i command line I get an error saying fastboot doesn't recognize that command line parameter and come up with the command line help stuff.. and -i is not listed. I've reinstalled adb on the xp computer but get the same result.

I tried goomanager but that obviously doesn't work without root permissions.. so I'm stuck in a loop here all unlocked with nowhere to go.

please, can someone help me get past one of these issues so I can flash twrp or cwm? I would rather get past the issue on my win 7 64 bit computer because the xp one is a 8 year old pos and frustratingly slow. 64 bit fastboot drivers for the asus tf700t would be a godsend right about now.

I'm not knowledgeable about why XP lacks the -i command, however you can run XP on your Win OS. Download Windows XP mode from Microsoft, which installs a virtual drive on your HDD and runs x86 XP from it. Does running cmd as administrator give you access to -i?

Have you researched ASUS support page or googled to see if there's an x64 driver that even exists? I've never had an ASUS, but I can't imagine they wouldn't, especially since x64 is extremely prevalent nowadays. If you can't find any info saying they don't have x64 drivers, I would call ASUS.

Also, Microsoft is offering a $15 upgrade to Win8 pro on their website that ends in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

go here :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32825557 download the package and start with section 2, run the fastboot command line from the same location you installed this which is in folder called "Install Recovery". Also make sure the twrp you download, renamed it to recovery.blob and it should be in the same folder also. Try with your XP first, then the x64. In the past I had helped a fellow with x64 and nothing could get it working until he installed a VM on his machine (clean install) and the driver installed as soon he connected his device and working as expected.

Reactions: MovingZen
J

jmonroe0914

go here :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32825557 download the package and start with section 2, run the fastboot command line from the same location you installed this which is in folder called "Install Recovery". Also make sure the twrp you download, renamed it to recovery.blob and it should be in the same folder also. Try with your XP first, then the x64. In the past I had helped a fellow with x64 and nothing could get it working until he installed a VM on his machine (clean install) and the driver installed as soon he connected his device and working as expected.

If you're going to do a VM on a Win7 x64, the best and cheapest way, since its free, is to download XP mode from the Microsoft website. Its the best way to combine the functionality of XP that Win7 "run as XP SP3" lacked as well as the ability to run x86 XP on a x64 OS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MovingZen

Feb 22, 2012
Charleston, Sc.
Thank you guys for the help. I am now rooted! buhohitr I followed your link and that got me taken care of. I had actually seen that thread before when I was pulling my hair out trying to root on my win7 64 load. I had forgotten about it when xp failed on me. I will be joining the clean ROM masses before to long. Again, thank you very much for your help.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I am new to the TF700 and love it so far. I have rooted a few phones but it has been quite a while. I am stock, locked and running JellyBean and would like to root this thing. I don't remember much about the fasboot flash process. I still have Android SDK on one of my PCs and another PC that has never had it, though it does have all the TF700 drivers installed.

Is there a thread that will hold my hand through this?

Edit: I do have the UnLock_Device_App_V7.apk but haven't tried it yet. Waiting on more confirmation that it works on JB without issues.

Soul TKR

Jun 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
www.wesvfx.com
I am new to the TF700 and love it so far. I have rooted a few phones but it has been quite a while. I am stock, locked and running JellyBean and would like to root this thing. I don't remember much about the fasboot flash process. I still have Android SDK on one of my PCs and another PC that has never had it, though it does have all the TF700 drivers installed.

Is there a thread that will hold my hand through this?

Edit: I do have the UnLock_Device_App_V7.apk but haven't tried it yet. Waiting on more confirmation that it works on JB without issues.

I'm in the same exact boat, minus having any of the software you mentioned. I'm pulling my hair out just trying to understand half of the terms! LOL

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Just want to make sure that you can choose either TWRP or CWM if your on JB 4.1.1. Is that correct? I read somewhere here that you couldn't use TWRP. Which is correct?

You shouldn't use ancient (pre-JB) versions of any recovery because they will brick your device if you wipe data from the bootloader menu. Current versions of both CWM and TWRP are fine.

elfaure

Seems without unlocking someone can downgrade from JB, root and then upgrade back to JB again. All data is lost, but the device warranty remains in tact ;) .

[TIP] Downgrade from JB to 0.30 works!

Thanks for the tip! Did exactly that and now I'm still locked and rooted on JB (with superSU not superuser binaries. Install as system app!). Only regret is previously upgrading to JB back in Dec. '12 two days out of the box without first researching and installing NVFLASH. That was one of my biggest recent mistakes and is the biggest reason I'm still locked and will remain locked for the time being (severe fear of the brick).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For all those people who did not use OTA RootKeeper to keep root before upgrading to JB, there is a way to root the device.

You need to be unlocked for this to work.

1) Boot into fastboot method. Flash custom CWM JB recovery from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32251319&postcount=1
    2) Flash CWM-SuperSU.zip from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23427715&postcount=1

This should give you root back. You can test using Root Checker.

Fresh Install:
    Screenshot_2012-10-02-21-32-55.jpg

After Rooting:
    Screenshot_2012-10-02-21-39-04.jpg
    Nice work man with the cwm jb. Got a system dump last night so working on a deodexed rom now

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
    Seems without unlocking someone can downgrade from JB, root and then upgrade back to JB again. All data is lost, but the device warranty remains in tact ;) .

[TIP] Downgrade from JB to 0.30 works!

Another way to do this without unlocking your device is to use the "Factory Restore after a softbrick" option in this thread: [How-To] All-In-One Guide For Asus Infinity (TF700) [01/10/2012]

I did this using the Stock Recovery.
    Sorry, I guess you didn't understand my question because you linked me right back to the OP of this thread. I understand that those are the instructions, My problem is I'm an idiot because I don't understand those instructions. I don't understand how to fastboot or flash. I guess I was hoping there was another link to a "rooting for dummies" type page...
    Thanks~

1) Setup fastboot on your computer (google how)
    2) Get into fastboot mode (google how)
    3) Flash recovery (shown in the first post how)
    4) Reboot
    5) Get into Recovery (google how)
    6) Flash the zip using Recovery.
    7) Reboot

You should be rooted now.
    Do these methods work if the device was never rooted before the JB install ? Or do these methods get root back for a device that was already rooted ?

Trying to decide if I should root my TF700 or not before installing JB.

It doesn't matter if your device rooted or never rooted. If you still on .26 or .30 just follow the directions to root your device.