Lenovo s650 custom roms

Search This thread

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
If any one is interested, i know a couple of you may be very intersted !!

I found this link someone posted on need rom, from 4PDA site, for the s650, these roms are custom based from CN roms which include MIUI , LEWA and AOSP !!

EDIT 10 / 5 / 14: New roms have been added and updates to LEWA and MIUI, also a couple of ROW based roms in there too !!

EDIT 15 / 5 / 14: All roms confirmed to be working fully with dual sim !!

All seem to be good and working , i am still testing and have got stuck on AOSP, I love it !! It is smooth and fast,and for first release on all these roms extremely good with a very promising future !!!!

They are all in development stage still but, in particular the AOSP is particularly stable, the only fault seems to be notification light not working for missed calls and messages !!! MINIMAL PROBLEM !!!

If only i could join these forums to thank the guys for their hard work !!
Problem is the verification code to join, needs to be in Russian, so i can't !!!

Here is the link, ENJOY !!!!!

ALL LINKS FOR ROMS ARE OPEN TO GUEST USERS !!

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=567114

So far my impression of the AOSP is very good, the only slightly annoying thing is that after a long call the screen does not wake automatically, you must press the power button, otherwise really good !!!!

Just started testing LEWA and so far looks good, a couple of things to note:
After first boot leave it to settle for a few minutes and then reboot, if you don't a lot of the toggles in settings do not work !!!

Dual sim settings in main setting menu do not seem to work, i tried the sim in both sim 1 and sim 2 slots and they work as they should but i don't know about 2 sims together !!
(TESTER NEEDED FOR THIS )

Will continue testing and move on to MIUI later , so more posts / issues and request for testers on dual sim use will follow !!

OK, so apart from the already mentioned issue with dual sim management, the LEWA rom is actually very good, everything seems to work and the interface is very clean and easy to use, with smooth graphics !

The MIUI rom also has the issue with dual sim management, it is not obvious if it works or not, the feature in settings only shows the card in use
( TESTER NEEDED TO TRY 2 SIMS ), otherwise works very well, the things i don't like so much are, trying to figure out the root manager ( seems to be on all MIUI roms ) and the annoying WI-FI only pop up everytime you try to download or if it thinks it is too big for data, which happens to be everything over about 2 mb !!!

The AOSP rom, seems to be working great except for notification LED not working and poor battery life, it seems that the dual sim function is OK, the warning is in notification drawer that no sim in slot 2 and each slot works individually ( TESTER NEEDED FOR 2 SIMS TOGETHER ) i am really hoping battery life will be fixed somewhere in development but it does seem to be a problem with AOSP roms specifically , so i am not optimistic !!
The AOSP is exactly as expected, pure android look and feel, very fast, light on the system and without all the overwhelming features of some roms, i do like it but battery drain is a real minus for me !!!

If you like MIUI roms and are used to the features, it is great if not i would try the LEWA rom for something similar to VIBEUI !! Go with the AOSP if you want simple, stock android, light on the system and very easy to use !!!
!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7OOKA and nomadman

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
It appears to be, the warning is there to the tell me that no card is insim2 slot and both slots work separately , I just have not tried both together !!! Worst case is going back to ROW if it doesn't work, bear in mind these are only first release customs so they should become more functional with development !!

The downside with AOSP is battery life, seems to drain twice as fast but seems to be a typical AOSP thing !!!

Reactions: nomadman
It appears to be, the warning is there to the tell me that no card is insim2 slot and both slots work separately , I just have not tried both together !!! Worst case is going back to ROW if it doesn't work, bear in mind these are only first release customs so they should become more functional with development !!

The downside with AOSP is battery life, seems to drain twice as fast but seems to be a typical AOSP thing !!!

Batter battery drain is a show stopper for me. My current Rom is fine with battery. I just want to run plain vanilla ROM. My gf doesn't need the extra crap they installed. I wish there was a Linux or Mac way of rooting. I don't run Windows, but if I have to dual boot, I guess I don't have a choice.

Reactions: safwan1469

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
If there is flash tool for mac or linux you can actually load TWRP using flash tool and root through TWRP !??

Just make sure if you are with ROW download ROW recovery and CN for CN roms !!

Once you have chosen the scatter file in flash tool, tick DA DL ALL box at the top !
Click on the RECOVERY line, this will open up a window so that you can choose which recovery.

Choose the TWRP recovery you downloaded and then proceed with the flash procedure as normal.

Once finished reboot the phone.

Now power down

Now power on holding volume up and down together, release power button only on vibrate, this will boot recovery

You should see TWRP reovery, go to wipes / advanced wipe wipe cache and dalvik

Now go back to main menu and choose reboot, you should see a prompt that SUPERUSER IS NOT INSTALLED, JUST SLIDE THE BAR TO INSTALL

Now once the phone is rebooted you will see superuser icon on screen, click it and it will tell you to update, easiest is via play store ( make sure you added account ) , it will tell you upgrade success and tell you to update binary, do this too and now you are rooted

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
Yeah, me too, i have been using it for a couple of days and it really is good, the battery does even out a bit after a couple of charges but not nearly as good as the battery life on stock Jelly bean rom, getting about 15-20%% less life !!

I have mentioned somewhere before that during 6 hours intense use on internet, testing GPS, bluetooth and downloading 2 rom zip files at 600mb each, on stock 4.2.2 rom still had about 50% left on battery but on this AOSP rom during exactly the same use it went down to 31% !!

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
The 4.4.2. stock rom is still in development, so my guess is they are waiting for a more stable version to use for custom, it does take time and i honestly think there will be something by about July / August, provided everything goes well !!

Reactions: yiannism01
Hi bluerichblue. I know you've been around the block with the current released ROMs. I found out that ROW is required for other because of the different languages. I only need EN so I can install any ROM correct?

The original ROM I got for this unit had some anti-malware / AV installed which resulted the unit lagging. Especially when it lists the text messages and opening texts. I restore to the S650_S119_131014 form needrom and it had the stripped down ROM that only has a few 3rd party apps and GAPPS included. The S650_S119_131014 is very light weight and the battery lasts longer than a day for heavy texting and and ligh calls. I was impressed! The only problem I have with the S650_S119_131014 ROM is that it has some Chinese characters in the text app and a few other minor Chinese characters on a few other places. It's not a show stopper though.

have you encountered other custom ROMs that have all English in it?

Last edited:

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
Yes you can install any rom, if you are using flash tool it is a straight forward flash, if you use TWRP you must make sure that you have the corresponding recovery installed, that means if you want to go from CN to ROW you need ROW TWRP installed even on the CN rom !!

Also the same in reverse, if you want to go from ROW to CN you need to install CN recovery even on ROW rom to flash !!

The reason is the partitions are different, on ROW roms you will have about 5gb allocated to apps space but on CN only 2.8gb !!

The ROW roms have been tweaked so the Chinese is not there and the AOSP is proper English !!

Hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kolej and nomadman

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
Is there an AOSP ROW?

Sent from my Lenovo S650 using Tapatalk

There have been some new roms added to the given link over the past few days, there is a ROW AOSP but i haven't tested it, if you want to try please let us know how it is !!

There have also been updates to LEWA and MIUI roms on the same page !!

Reactions: kolej
There have been some new roms added to the given link over the past few days, there is a ROW AOSP but i haven't tested it, if you want to try please let us know how it is !!

There have also been updates to LEWA and MIUI roms on the same page !!

Are you talking about AOSP OS 4.2.2 R-V0.11.2 ROW - old? I'm assuming there is no AOSP version that matches the latest official *VibeUI* rom right?

Last edited:

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
Yes the version of AOSP you saw is correct but so far no AOSP for the latest KitKat version,

The latest release for VibeUI is a stable CN version so i am guessing they will start on ROW versions now and hopefully some of the Russian developers will pick it up and start developing custom KitKat for us but saying that Mediatek roms are known for having different dependencies which are meant to be a pain to work with and with the partitions in KitKat being different, could be a while before we get something !!

RedBux

Jun 20, 2008
bluerichblue

I used TWRP v 2.6.3.0
Failed flashing Lenovui_sofina_row_s650-s127 and s650_s930_row.

What TWRP version is consider ROW TWRP Will you link me.

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
bluerichblue

I used TWRP v 2.6.3.0
Failed flashing Lenovui_sofina_row_s650-s127 and s650_s930_row.

What TWRP version is consider ROW TWRP Will you link me.

You need to use the ROW TWRP even if you are on a CN rom , as the partitions are different and the recoveries are set for specific partition !!

Go here and scroll down a bit you will see 2 lines for recoveries :

http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/3499-...-lenovo-vibe-x-mini-s650/?hl=s650#entry166471

bluerichblue

Dec 29, 2011
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If any one is interested, i know a couple of you may be very intersted !!

I found this link someone posted on need rom, from 4PDA site, for the s650, these roms are custom based from CN roms which include MIUI , LEWA and AOSP !!

EDIT 10 / 5 / 14: New roms have been added and updates to LEWA and MIUI, also a couple of ROW based roms in there too !!

EDIT 15 / 5 / 14: All roms confirmed to be working fully with dual sim !!

All seem to be good and working , i am still testing and have got stuck on AOSP, I love it !! It is smooth and fast,and for first release on all these roms extremely good with a very promising future !!!!

They are all in development stage still but, in particular the AOSP is particularly stable, the only fault seems to be notification light not working for missed calls and messages !!! MINIMAL PROBLEM !!!

If only i could join these forums to thank the guys for their hard work !!
    Problem is the verification code to join, needs to be in Russian, so i can't !!!

Here is the link, ENJOY !!!!!

ALL LINKS FOR ROMS ARE OPEN TO GUEST USERS !!

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=567114

So far my impression of the AOSP is very good, the only slightly annoying thing is that after a long call the screen does not wake automatically, you must press the power button, otherwise really good !!!!

Just started testing LEWA and so far looks good, a couple of things to note:
    After first boot leave it to settle for a few minutes and then reboot, if you don't a lot of the toggles in settings do not work !!!

Dual sim settings in main setting menu do not seem to work, i tried the sim in both sim 1 and sim 2 slots and they work as they should but i don't know about 2 sims together !!
    (TESTER NEEDED FOR THIS )

Will continue testing and move on to MIUI later , so more posts / issues and request for testers on dual sim use will follow !!

OK, so apart from the already mentioned issue with dual sim management, the LEWA rom is actually very good, everything seems to work and the interface is very clean and easy to use, with smooth graphics !

The MIUI rom also has the issue with dual sim management, it is not obvious if it works or not, the feature in settings only shows the card in use
    ( TESTER NEEDED TO TRY 2 SIMS ), otherwise works very well, the things i don't like so much are, trying to figure out the root manager ( seems to be on all MIUI roms ) and the annoying WI-FI only pop up everytime you try to download or if it thinks it is too big for data, which happens to be everything over about 2 mb !!!

The AOSP rom, seems to be working great except for notification LED not working and poor battery life, it seems that the dual sim function is OK, the warning is in notification drawer that no sim in slot 2 and each slot works individually ( TESTER NEEDED FOR 2 SIMS TOGETHER ) i am really hoping battery life will be fixed somewhere in development but it does seem to be a problem with AOSP roms specifically , so i am not optimistic !!
    The AOSP is exactly as expected, pure android look and feel, very fast, light on the system and without all the overwhelming features of some roms, i do like it but battery drain is a real minus for me !!!

If you like MIUI roms and are used to the features, it is great if not i would try the LEWA rom for something similar to VIBEUI !! Go with the AOSP if you want simple, stock android, light on the system and very easy to use !!!
    !
    GREEN LED Light Working with LG-Optimus-2X-Black-Notifications

Hi,

So I downloaded the LG-Optimus-2X-Black-Notifications and edited the location for the green led brightness control file under the MT65XX device, compiled with eclipse and it works fine.

Here is the file if anyone is interested (Make sure that you uninstall the previous version before)

Let me know if you have issues...

Hi,

I've been running Gykk v0.2 aosp rom and I'm trying to contact him, but I don't understand russian and can't find an thread for his rom.

I've managed to switch on the GREEN LED notification light through the adb shell and can switch ON and OFF.

I now have no idea how to make the notifications light up the LED, so if someone has an idea please share...

For anyone monitoring this thread running the AOSP ROMS please try this on an adb shell as root and report back your succes here.

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/greenled/brightness
    Switches ON the green LED

Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/greenled/brightness
    Switches OFF the green LED

I tried it with my phone charging connected to the phone with usb debugging on and the RED LED light on.

Cheers.

PS: Sorry for highjacking this thread,..

I have decided to remove the link to the compiled LG 2X Black notifications from this thread, it seems that gulyuk had already solved this issue way back on 11.06.2014, I had not seen his post (was using google translate and couldn't understand/navigate correctly), however i now see that on the recent posts gulyuk has manifested that he had already solved it.

I did not plagiarize his file, got some tips from this thread and worked my way to the solution. However gulyuk did post way back so credit is his. The link to his post is here.

If the impression was that i just copied the file and linked it here, then I'm sorry, but not the case. Hope this clears any misunderstanding...
    Yes you can install any rom, if you are using flash tool it is a straight forward flash, if you use TWRP you must make sure that you have the corresponding recovery installed, that means if you want to go from CN to ROW you need ROW TWRP installed even on the CN rom !!

Also the same in reverse, if you want to go from ROW to CN you need to install CN recovery even on ROW rom to flash !!

The reason is the partitions are different, on ROW roms you will have about 5gb allocated to apps space but on CN only 2.8gb !!

The ROW roms have been tweaked so the Chinese is not there and the AOSP is proper English !!

Hope this helps !!!
    thanks for the info. I do not have a backup phone so please let us know if dual sim is functional for the AOSP. I really hate the default ROW ROM.