Unable to Use Cell-Tower Triangulation

Search This thread

OzCDN

Jul 4, 2009
Has anyone reverted back to early FroYo or Eclaire to confirm this is a Froyo / Rogers issue?

madballs

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
@OzCDN. You're right. Does anyone have a rooted device and flash an Eclair ROM to see if it works? But I think somebody in the other thread said they have tried and 2.1 and lower works.

Quantus

Dec 7, 2009
Caledon
I suggested it, and I even tried, but for reasons that seem to be specific to Samsung Galaxy quirks was unable to successfully revert to 2.1.

That said, AllGamer (from the SGS forums) is currently using 2.1 without problems.

That suggests that the issue is with 2.2, but our sample is small and not representative, so the evidence is not strong that the problem lies in the interaction of Rogers and 2.2.

That said, the theory is the simplest one that explains the observations.

lattera

Jun 22, 2009
I bought a T-Mobile G2 today, because I was fed up with my Nexus One's bugs--one of which was broken location. I can firmly confirm it's broken on T-Mobile Nexus One in the Salt Lake City, Utah, USA market. I first noticed the bug around two weeks ago.

As a side note, I'm going on my honeymoon in a week and I'll need GPS data then. Not having GPS was the straw that broke my camel's back.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

thatguy123

Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
I have the same issue on Tmobile in Tampa FL -- Its odd Edge works. Wifi works but 3g does not unless I have GPS on. Tried Diff radios, diff APN settings, as well as Enoms roms, Stock, CM etc... None work..

Odd..

I have this problem, call t-mobile customer service and ask them to reset your data connection while your phone is off with your battery and sim card out. Since I did this the 3g works sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I bought a T-Mobile G2 today, because I was fed up with my Nexus One's bugs--one of which was broken location. I can firmly confirm it's broken on T-Mobile Nexus One in the Salt Lake City, Utah, USA market. I first noticed the bug around two weeks ago.

As a side note, I'm going on my honeymoon in a week and I'll need GPS data then. Not having GPS was the straw that broke my camel's back.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Except that LBS has absolutely nothing to do with GPS.

OzCDN

Jul 4, 2009
Both are broken for me. Maps can't find my location, even when standing in a clear field. Twitter can't find my location when standing in the same field. News & Weather can't, either.

If your GPS is not working then you should get it fixed ... you should still be under warranty.

The issue that is being discussed here is the cell-tower-based phone location system that is used when the GPS radio is OFF.

Txtraveler

Sep 29, 2010
Dallas/Ft. Worth

I had this problem for a while, but my GPS always worked. It was just the coarse navigation that was failing to update automatically. And now...

MY NEXUS IS WORKING AGAIN!

The change? I did a wipe of cache, dalvik, battery stats and rotate settings (I don't use SD:ext so I didn't wipe that), and reinstalled an updated ROM, in my case Geo411's FRG83D modified stock ROM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=714184. If you have Root and can flash a custom ROM, you may want to give this a try. It gave my coarse navigation back.

Edit: I'm in the USA on T-mobile, and the coarse nav problem was in multiple locations (my work involves travel). Also, I'd also bypass the wifi calling upgrade if you use Geo411's ROM. It decreased battery life for me.

Last edited:

Txtraveler

Sep 29, 2010
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Both are broken for me. Maps can't find my location, even when standing in a clear field. Twitter can't find my location when standing in the same field. News & Weather can't, either.

Your radio may be faulty, because Twitter uses only coarse nav, but maps uses the best available, coarse if that's all it has, but fine (GPS) if it's available. I had the coarse nav issue for quite a while after flashing FRG83 (Froyo 2.2) but my GPS was always accurate when I was outdoors.

Beyond flashing a new radio (CAREFUL!!), I don't know what to suggest for you.