[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan
Now that I have AOKP Milestone 5 and Hashcode's Kernel the KF is working great (except for the expected bugs Hash mentioned), but in the device manager my KF just shows up as Amazon with a yellow ! next to it and in the KFU it shows as offline no matter what I do.

Obviously I can do everything from here on out in TWRP and can always flash the update.zip to get it to work in the KFU (tried this once after the initial problem to make sure it worked and it did so then I went back to AOKP) if I need to do other updates.

Does anyone know why the device does not show up properly in this ROM?

I'm having the same issue. Kindle Fire is not recognized by my PC. It actually shows up as 'Amazon' under devices but when I try to install the driver it can't find the driver.

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan
So yesterday I rooted and installed TWRP then installed AOKP Milestone 5. Everything was working great. When I went to bed I powered down the Kindle Fire and when I picked it up this morning it was slightly warm to the touch which I thought was odd since it was off all night. I grabbed the charger and plugged it in an noticed the screen had a slight hew to it. The screen is ON, sort of. The Kindle will not boot. I plugged it in to my PC and nothing happens. My first Android tablet is a brick! Please help!! Anyone!

aydos

Feb 24, 2012
So yesterday I rooted and installed TWRP then installed AOKP Milestone 5. Everything was working great. When I went to bed I powered down the Kindle Fire and when I picked it up this morning it was slightly warm to the touch which I thought was odd since it was off all night. I grabbed the charger and plugged it in an noticed the screen had a slight hew to it. The screen is ON, sort of. The Kindle will not boot. I plugged it in to my PC and nothing happens. My first Android tablet is a brick! Please help!! Anyone!

This is one of the known issues with the kernel. The back light is staying on when you power it down through the menu. You are going to have to power it off by holding on the power button for 20+ seconds.

Hash is aware of the issue and it it's in his first post for the kernel.

Reactions: A2Eric

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan
This is one of the known issues with the kernel. The back light is staying on when you power it down through the menu. You are going to have to power it off by holding on the power button for 20+ seconds.

Hash is aware of the issue and it it's in his first post for the kernel.

Okay, I missed that somewhere. I was able to power it back on and the battery was at 6%. Charging now and will power down by holding the power button for 20+ seconds. Thanks.

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan
Obviously I can do everything from here on out in TWRP and can always flash the update.zip to get it to work in the KFU (tried this once after the initial problem to make sure it worked and it did so then I went back to AOKP) if I need to do other updates.

Does anyone know why the device does not show up properly in this ROM?

So what does the update.zip do? How would I flash a new ROM if I can't connect it to my PC?

jwhistler

Aug 23, 2010
TCL 10 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
No Market or Google Calendar Sync

I'm still struggling with KFU .9.5...

Installed TWRP fine, and rooted but did not install SuperUser, or any of the Google apps, giving me various error messages that I have posted earlier in this thread.

So I read another post where they sideloaded the superuser.apk. I did that, seems to have installed fine, but now I've read someone else say that I shouldn't sideload superuser?

I'd really like to get Market and a few Google apps running, but don't want to screw things up....

I've tried to re-run Install Google Apps from KFU and get the same results: error messages.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan
I'm still struggling with KFU .9.5...

Installed TWRP fine, and rooted but did not install SuperUser, or any of the Google apps, giving me various error messages that I have posted earlier in this thread.

So I read another post where they sideloaded the superuser.apk. I did that, seems to have installed fine, but now I've read someone else say that I shouldn't sideload superuser?

I'd really like to get Market and a few Google apps running, but don't want to screw things up....

I've tried to re-run Install Google Apps from KFU and get the same results: error messages.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

I sideloaded superuser.apk then flashed a custom ROM and GAPPS to get the market and other GAPPS. All is working fine. Do you just want root and no custom ROM, is that why you haven't flashed a ROM and GAPPS?

I tried the GAPPS from the KFU and it installed things like Google Voice and some others but NOT the market. I don't get it.

jwhistler

Aug 23, 2010
TCL 10 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
I sideloaded superuser.apk then flashed a custom ROM and GAPPS to get the market and other GAPPS. All is working fine. Do you just want root and no custom ROM, is that why you haven't flashed a ROM and GAPPS?

I tried the GAPPS from the KFU and it installed things like Google Voice and some others but NOT the market. I don't get it.

I'm really not concerned with installing a custom ROM at this point. Maybe down the road. For now, I'd just like to get some of these Google apps working....especially Market.

Should Market be installable with only root and not custom ROM?

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan

jwhistler

Aug 23, 2010
TCL 10 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
While I was out, my Kindle upgraded to 6.3.1, causing me to lose root. I used KFU and quickly re-established root. I then ran KFU Extras->Install Google Apps and, after getting warnings that some apps already exist, I get the following "Permission denied" messages....

failed to copy 'apps\system\GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk' to '/system/app/Googl
eCalendarSyncAdapter.apk': Permission denied
failed to copy 'apps\system\GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk' to '/system/app/Googl
eContactsSyncAdapter.apk': Permission denied

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

GT5830

Mar 21, 2011
@Vashypooh

Hello Vashypooh, thanks a lot for your utility ....

I use your utility to flash open twrp 2.1.1

http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/blaze/openrecovery-twrp-blaze-2.1.1.img

first reboot it showed twrp 2.1.1, but the next reboot it was going back to 2.0.0

then I modified small code in your utility as mentioned in twrp web:

http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/79

from : tools\fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot recovery\twrp.img
to : tools\fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery\twrp.img

after running modified utility to flash twrp, the KF stuck at yellow triangle and I turn it off and on, but still stuck, adb could not find devices :)confused:)

then I went back to the twrp web and run:

fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000

the KF going back alive ... thanks GOD ....

And everytime I reboot to recovery the twrp ver always 2.1.1

I hope there's something for you to update the utility.

Thanks & Regards. ;)

Last edited:

Dumpstar72

May 3, 2012
I'm really not concerned with installing a custom ROM at this point. Maybe down the road. For now, I'd just like to get some of these Google apps working....especially Market.

Should Market be installable with only root and not custom ROM?

I would think it should be. Check out this thread, there is a link to the GAPPS.zip. you could try flashing that in TRWP.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1349902

THank link fixed my issue. I did need to install root explorer ver 2.16 to do this. Just downloaded it from pirate bay (other versions would not work).

Last edited:

A2Eric

Feb 27, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for this. The file indicates this is gapps-ics. Is this appropriate if I intend to continue running the stock Kindle ROM?

You know, I didn't think about that. I don't know if it makes a difference. Let me ask on Google+, maybe I can get an answer quickly.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Thanks for this. The file indicates this is gapps-ics. Is this appropriate if I intend to continue running the stock Kindle ROM?

No, the ICS apps won't work. I did find this which will hopefully work.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244474/how_to_install_the_android_market_on_your_kindle_fire.html

Reactions: jwhistler

jpreichart

Sep 11, 2010
Did I mess up?

Sorry, please disregard. I had to expand my knowledge of fastboot. To anyone who read this post, thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
    Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.