[KERNEL][GPL][23 FEV - #4] franco.Kernel | 2.6.35.10

Search This thread

metalboy94

May 12, 2011
Bucharest
Battery consumption is okay I guess, 4% battery used in 2 hr 50 minutes of idling with WiFi on (sleep policy - never, 245/729 smartassV2).

thachtunganh

Mar 19, 2011
Hà Nội - Hanoi

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong
i've been testing the kernel since this afternoon, no panics or random reboots... just one thing: data transfering from phone to pc is extremely slow (600KB/s) with class4 sdcard... not a bug i guess, but i'm reporting my experience...

on mine (class 10), its
PC to phone - 4-6mb per second
phone to PC - 16-19mb per second

using mik's 6.5.7 ROM file (84.7mb) as testing.

so i guess there isnt a slow transfer bug for me! :)

btw, last midnight I experienced a kernel panic at 710smartassv2 but in nofrills i remembered there were about 20% usage of 729mhz.

i dont know why but i am sure i checked 710 for the 1 hour stress test... maybe some mispress when the phone was initializing...

now im still using 710 to test while checking nofrills frequently, there are no 729 usage while no panics so far! will update my note and report back soon. :)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s79/...19a3b0a260ae/2e9e5dc5b04f1cd475ea337ce76a2c66

ciolnadu

Dec 13, 2010
Simeria
Using 11.11.11 kernel since yesterday and going great. No reboot only black screen bug when rapidly locking and unlocking screen. Conservative gov 748/480, on Andy's Pheonix with Link2SD.

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

metalboy94

May 12, 2011
Bucharest
Dude you have no apps?

I do have a lot of apps actually, and they just LOOOVE using any form of network connectivity (think Foursquare, Friendcaster and Yahoo Mail). :p

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Ah by the way, I don't usually leave WiFi always on, I prefer using a Tasker script + profile I made to turn it on and off at certain intervals so that apps can fetch updates but the battery won't be drained too much.

Last edited:

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
I do have a lot of apps actually, and they just LOOOVE using any form of network connectivity (think Foursquare, Friendcaster and Yahoo Mail). :p

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Ah by the way, I don't usually leave WiFi always on, I prefer using a Tasker script + profile I made to turn it on and off at certain intervals so that apps can fetch updates but the battery won't be drained too much.
Friendcaster and yahoo mail don't get any CPU, they use push, you can force stop them and still get notifications, that is why push saves battery...
What is a tasker script and how does it work?;)

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
If you have panics with smartass2 change to conservative and test with the same enviorment.. I suspect smartass2 is ****ed somewhere and causes panics.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Reactions: Hanny

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong
If you have panics with smartass2 change to conservative and test with the same enviorment.. I suspect smartass2 is ****ed somewhere and causes panics.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

hey franco.. are you jesus or what...? how did u find out the problem and when u say it, the problem happened on me

you replied to topic -> xda send email to me -> gmail notification -> i wake screen and unlock -> random shutdown

at 710 smartassv2 which i totally agree with your point!!! :)

sure man im changing to conservative and gonna launch stress test for 2 hours with 710! thank you so much franco

uncle_gonny

Jan 11, 2011
Fonte (TV)
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 9 Pro
on mine (class 10), its

btw, last midnight I experienced a kernel panic at 710smartassv2 but in nofrills i remembered there were about 20% usage of 729mhz.

i dont know why but i am sure i checked 710 for the 1 hour stress test... maybe some mispress when the phone was initializing...

now im still using 710 to test while checking nofrills frequently, there are no 729 usage while no panics so far! will update my note and report back soon. :)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s79/...19a3b0a260ae/2e9e5dc5b04f1cd475ea337ce76a2c66

mmmm i didn't understand: using 6.5.7 you got good transfer rates? Isn't this kernel for 6.6.x?

optimus one P500
clockworkmod recovery 5.0.2.0
mik_os cyanogenmod 6.6.1
franciscofranco kernel v1.1 02102011 smartass v2 480/729 MHz
Link2sd (from market) sd-ext4

voyager20021

May 5, 2011
Here
I guess its safe to say now that i have panic at 710. So one step back to safe 691 conservative gov. Also got some bootloops after moving apps to sd, but like only once or twice, then stable. Could those bootloops be caused by using a nand backup which had the same relative instability?(one or two reboots before getting stable). Also, i forgot to report something that may be useful. Sometimes, before sudden reboot, ADW Launcher or some google app crushes. After selecting to continue or restart that app the system continues to try and load all other apps and then it either reboots or remains stable. But not allways those apps crush. Also if the system did not fully load and i touch the screen the launcher crushes, but i guess that is normal. In that case the crush comes with the option to restart launcher or wait until it loads.

Last edited:

voyager20021

May 5, 2011
Here
on mine (class 10), its

Man, are you on the wrong rom? This kernel is only for 6.6.1. Rom and not 6.5.x. If so, this the cause for most of your problems. Read carefully first post.

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong
mmmm i didn't understand: using 6.5.7 you got good transfer rates? Isn't this kernel for 6.6.x?

optimus one P500
clockworkmod recovery 5.0.2.0
mik_os cyanogenmod 6.6.1
franciscofranco kernel v1.1 02102011 smartass v2 480/729 MHz
Link2sd (from market) sd-ext4

Man, are you on the wrong rom? This kernel is only for 6.6.1. Rom and not 6.5.x. If so, this the cause for most of your problems. Read carefully first post.

lolol nononononono u guys misunderstood me!!

i meant, i was using the ROM FILE to test transfer rate!! :):)

that means i Cut and Paste the ZIP file from both sides to both sides

with all the correct ROM and Kernel combinations in my signiture installed!!! ;);)

just use it because i have not much files in my card which is the size (around 100mb) and suitable for testing transfer speeds :D

sorry for making confusions!! :eek:

all things clear :)

Last edited:

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
hey franco.. are you jesus or what...? how did u find out the problem and when u say it, the problem happened on me

you replied to topic -> xda send email to me -> gmail notification -> i wake screen and unlock -> random shutdown

at 710 smartassv2 which i totally agree with your point!!! :)

sure man im changing to conservative and gonna launch stress test for 2 hours with 710! thank you so much franco

Not jesus but I have experience in this kind of ****, and I spend a good part of the day reading :)

Conservative shouldn't create panics in the normal OC values, I think smartass2 scaling tries to access not available CPU frequencies, thus the panics. I'm not 100% about it, but it's my guess. And because I tuned Conservative it became a viable governor.

voyager20021

May 5, 2011
Here
Not jesus but I have experience in this kind of ****, and I spend a good part of the day reading :)

Conservative shouldn't create panics in the normal OC values, I think smartass2 scaling tries to access not available CPU frequencies, thus the panics. I'm not 100% about it, but it's my guess. And because I tuned Conservative it became a viable governor.

Any idea why the need to downclock one step from .32 to .35 tree kernel? And can or should this be fixed?

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong

omg why didnt i think of this..! right what a tricky evil smartass2 lol... secretly ****ing my higher frequencies

so why dont i stress 729 again on conservative ;) (729smartass2 failed before, maybe it thief used 748!)

btw do you have any brief description on ur brand new baby conservative? :D as i only use smartass1 as my favourite before

(its fine if u wanna explain everything after final release :p)

Any idea why the need to downclock one step from .32 to .35 tree kernel? And can or should this be fixed?

justnow my 710 conservative survived after 1 hour stress test and now im trying the 729! (as my .32 stable)

dont know whether the one step down is happening on both of us :) lets see my results...

voyager20021

May 5, 2011
Here
omg why didnt i think of this..! right what a tricky evil smartass2 lol... secretly ****ing my higher frequencies

so why dont i stress 729 again on conservative ;) (729smartass2 failed before, maybe it thief used 748!)

btw do you have any brief description on ur brand new baby conservative? :D as i only use smartass1 as my favourite before

(its fine if u wanna explain everything after final release :p)

justnow my 710 conservative survived after 1 hour stress test and now im trying the 729! (as my .32 stable)

dont know whether the one step down is happening on both of us :) lets see my results...

I also used to do SETCPU stress tests, but i gave up cause i think its not accurate nor relevant as i got kernel panic although going through some succesfull test time. Best way to test freqs and govs fast is to use them in some apps, mostly games.

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong
I also used to do SETCPU stress tests, but i gave up cause i think its not accurate nor relevant as i got kernel panic although going through some succesfull test time. Best way to test freqs and govs fast is to use them in some apps, mostly games.

true in certain extent :) so after 1 hour of stress test (passed just now) i will continue using without reboot and see how is it working ;)

will be updating my results tomorrow! @729conservative normal usage

good luck franco in finding ways to **** smartass2:cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About
    underline.png

Following the popular franco.Kernel series I present you the new .35 tree based kernel for the 2.3.3 from LG and for the CM testing releases from mik.

(Because people keep flashing this **** with the wrong roms and come here crying "HALP" enjoy the big letter warning)
    This kernel is not for 2.2 roms and I will laugh at you if you flash it together with 2.2. Not either will it work on miks 6.5.8 nor void forever...

franco.Kernel facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/franco.Kernel

Features & Changelog
    underline.png

* Added 652, 672, 691, 710 cpu frequencies
    * Doubled busses frequencies - system will go faster but you'll possible lose some overclocking capabilities. Busses frequency OC > cpu OC.
    * Added and tweaked Simple IO scheduler as it proved to be the fastest one for this device
    * Added tun.ko and cifs.ko
    * Added camera flicker bug fix
    * Cleaned up some more debug ****
    * One or two small tweaks

* Completely rebased kernel
    * No more blackscreen
    * Based on CM's source
    * All the tweaks and ****s you've been known about from me
    * Franco magic?
    * POWER
    * BATTERY
    * Well...I'll write a more detailed post later, too busy at the moment =)

- Touchscreen driver improved
    - Same changes as the 27/11 release but now with wifi working

- Major speed up because fsyncs are not disabled
    - SLUB memory allocator tweaked and made default
    - Wifi Tethering fix attempt
    - One or two other small tweaks and optimizations
    - This release is labeled as a testing version

- Bye vsync toggle, it's not possible to change vsync without a kernel recompile
    - Blackscreen bug fix attempt
    - Touchscreen drivers optimized with the axis inversion workaround - changes by paolo, fserve, and me

- Vsync on/off toggle added. This is what I need be checked, I don't know if it's working: run this command via terminal or init.d script
    Code:
    echo "0" > /sys/module/mddi_hitachi_hvga/parameters/vsync_on

Echoing 0 it will disable vsync, echoing 1 will enable it.

- FSB/BUS overclock is lower, it will lower benchmarks a bit, but you won't notice any difference during normal usage and it will increase stability
    - Obviously all the changes from the latest testing version are included

- Smartass2 tuning
    - Ck2 patch - system more responsive and noticeably faster
    - Compiled with the latest Linaro 4.5.4 2011.09 toolchain
    - Fix camera flicker - thanks Turducken
    - Add Simple I/O scheduler and made the default - should fix the slow USB transfer bug
    - net: Reorder incoming packets in PPPoLAC and PPPoPNS
    - Misc fixes
    - Should provide some extra battery power

- A lot of reverts to increase overall stability
    - Smartass2 improvements
    - BFQ i/o scheduler added and made default. VR scheduler makes the USB transfers slow
    - Wifi change to drain less battery
    - Clear RAM feature in Andy's rom works now
    - Add Jhash3
    - vfs_cache from 100 to 25
    - init/calibrate backported from 2.6.39
    - Some other improvements that can be seen in my github

- Reducing VM_READAHEAD from 4096 to 512. Should fix the occasional music stutter
    - Some .config changes from fserve to increase battery life
    - Tweaks and code cleanups from CAF to increase stability, battery and performance
    - Cleaned up some governors
    - Add SmartassV2 added yesterday from the original Smartass creator
    - Re-written InteractiveX
    - Vsync enabled by popular demand
    - dirty_writeback_interval = 1500 centisecs
    - Some reverts that should fix the reboots or random crashes
    - Thanks across for the testing

- Strange behavior with ext3/ext4 fixed
    - More ARM architecture specific code
    - Internet/data speed majorly increased
    - **** legacy drivers removed
    - Dunno what else

- Filesystem tweaks from Code Aurora. Mainly ext3 and ext4 improved code
    - Power management tweaks from Code Aurora
    - Two Power management patches from Arco's kernel
    - A lot of ARM architecture specific tweaks and improved code
    - Some other small ****s

- Battery display bug is fixed
    - Terminal ****ting itself when closing fixed
    - Headset button should work now too
    - Some reverts to provide some extra stability

- Patched with 2.6.35.14 from upstream
    - Tweaks in the touchscreen driver
    - Lots of reverts from backported code to improve stability
    - USB should be fixed
    - CFS scheduler updates
    - Wi-fi should be finally fine (I hope because I haven't touched wi-fi **** code)
    - Camera should work fine now too

This is a complete re-written kernel from scratch featuring all the performance and battery patches from the last version plus a lot of new code.
    The changes are all in my github so I don't need to list them here. I need you guys to test the kernel and tell me what is working and what is not working, which bugs do you find, if the performance is good, if battery is good etc etc. I don't want posts like "BLUETOOH HANDS FREE DOESN'T WORK FIX PLX" or "WAHT IS THE BAST GOVERNOR AND OC HALP PLOX" I want informative posts about your conclusions, if it kernel paniced what is your environment, your OC, your governor... stupid and non helpful posts will be ignored. If you want a good kernel, do you job as an user and help me too.

alert.png
    Take note of this, I don't care nor will pay attention if you say you're having battery drain if: you flashed the kernel sooner than 24hours of your complain post, if you didn't wipe your cache partition before or after flashing it, or if you didn't wipe your battery stats. If any of these three conditions are met at the time of your posting I will simply ignore it.

Downloads
    Download:franco.Kernel-4
    franco.Kernel updater app: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.franco.kernel.p500

Installation
    underline.png

1 - Reboot intro recovery
    2 - Flash the latest kernel version from this topic
    3 - Reboot
    4 - Enjoy
    People remember this is a pre-release, it's a gift for you all to test and play in the next days while I make it better, faster, more stable and the likes. Now I'll retire for a nice beach day after a hard nights work ;)
    Ok, I decided to give another whirl to this kernel and seeing the amount of users still using this device I own you guys something. I will also drop a app for a symbolic price of 1,46€ that will feature kernel settings and kernel updater - which you will be able to buy via Google Market to support me.
    This is simple: I forgot tun.ko so its coming on #4. More intermediate frequencies coming on #4. Having night drain? Im sorry its your rom/app/whatever my device slept for 13h straight and lost 4%. Reboots? Dont overclock that much. Device is singing kumbaya in the rain? Your're drunk.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium