AT&T Throttles, NOW Internet provider does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

biglittlegato

Jun 4, 2009
Cali
Yet... Give them time and they too will have data caps. Of course, as bandwidth grows, the caps get larger also. It's not about the amount of data used, it's about network congestion. If the network can't handle it, then they need to curb the heavy users to keep bandwidth for the rest of us.

I don't care bout the rest, I wants me data. :)

I don't get a refund if I use less.

Sent using the power of the dark side.

Reactions: Chevyguy85

jeriku

Mar 2, 2012
Yet... Give them time and they too will have data caps. Of course, as bandwidth grows, the caps get larger also. It's not about the amount of data used, it's about network congestion. If the network can't handle it, then they need to curb the heavy users to keep bandwidth for the rest of us.

Well not exactly...Comcast has had the same cap for almost 5 years. Check their website....they are only interested in teaching you how to curb your usage not about adjusting the cap to today's demands and usage habits. The fact is 250gb is not enough...350-400 I'd be fine, but others wouldn't. The caps are for more than congestion. Cable companies know that people, like me, are cutting both TV and phone wires, and that's money out of their pocket. There is no pay for extra with Comcast, you get 3 warnings then you're banned for a year.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA

biglittlegato

Jun 4, 2009
Cali
Just got my April statement from Wave. The caps went into effect Jan 1, they warned us of the change and detailed usage for the previous 18 months. Before they started capping, I never used more than 240gb in a month. I thought 300/mo would be plenty. My connected family( 3 teens and the old lady) has gone over every month since the caps took effect. They waived the fee for January. This month my 457gb will cost me an extra 35 bones. Might be time for an upgrade. :(

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
I use a Comcast 105/15 mbps line in Little Rock, AR. It's capped at 250GB, but in December I hit 1.9 TB in 3 weeks because I spent about $400 at the Steam Holiday Sale +automatic backups of all of it to backblaze. They got really mad, ended up having to get my lawyer to get them to shut up about it.

Speaking of the Internet, ever since I switched to LordClockAN's Ice Cold Sandwich 7.4 STRIPPER EDITION my AT&T HSPA+ speeds have nearly tripled. I'm getting 7.5-8 mbps now. I don't think I need LTE anymore, particularly since the vast majority of dev support for the HOX will be for the Tegra 3 version, and only 16GB of local storage is so not enough for 720p pron...

Reactions: jwalzer

jeriku

Mar 2, 2012
I've been a cableguy for 7 years. The only people I know of that went over the 250 gb cap were running Bit torrent clients 24/7.

Now you know one that isn't. Streaming in HD, gaming etc...will easily put you over 250gb, with out any torrents. So 7 years ago I'd agree with you, but in the last couple...that's just absurd.

Chevyguy85

Nov 15, 2011
Orlando
Now you know one that isn't. Streaming in HD, gaming etc...will easily put you over 250gb, with out any torrents. So 7 years ago I'd agree with you, but in the last couple...that's just absurd.

I don't know how much streaming shows use but the 720 rips of the shows I watch are 500 megs to 1.4 gigs per show so I eat up quite a bit right there. I rarely ever use torrents except for old obscure stuff that I have to rely on private trackers for. So yeah, I'd have to agree with the 250 is easily reached.

pazzo02

May 17, 2011
Chicago area
How do I even know how much data I'm using with Comcast? The bill doesn't show it. Do they have a link on their site somewhere that shows my usage? I've never hit the cap that I know of, but I did notice my bill increase $6 a month over the last year. They bumped me up $2 at a time every few months.

Edit: Okay, I found it. Amazingly, I used 243 GB in March and 241 GB in April. So, I guess one of these times I'll find out what happens when I hit 250.

Last edited:

Chevyguy85

Nov 15, 2011
Orlando
Heres a good read for those that say they only watch a few movies and hit their cap. Because we all know no one will publicly admit to torrent downloads.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-much-monthly-bandwidth-doe-136401

apparently on 250g u can get about 40 hd movies and 3 seasons of a tv series per month on netflix

Holy crap 30 minute HD show comes out to 1500 megs? What the heck are they 1080? 720 30 minute shows (20-23 w/o commercials) come out to at max 600ish megs if it has 5.1 sound encoded. Some sorry codecs they are using, that or they are 1080.

biglittlegato

Jun 4, 2009
Cali
Besides the phones and game consoles, the crazy woman that lives in my house does commentary videos with an online friend. They send large files back and forth while editing and then one of them has to post the videos online.

I looked into Wave new highest level but the cap is still 300gb/mo. May have to set a cap in my router and charge her when she exceeds it. ;)

Last edited:

jeriku

Mar 2, 2012
Heres a good read for those that say they only watch a few movies and hit their cap. Because we all know no one will publicly admit to torrent downloads.

apparently on 250g u can get about 40 hd movies and 3 seasons of a tv series per month on netflix

I'm sure. But that's nothing else, no gaming, no Pandora etc... I can tell you I pretty much just use Netflix and hulu , that brings me to my cap. If my son is with me he games then I'm over.

What's the point of tiered speed then? So I can pay more and get to my cap quicker? 250 is not about service for cable companies its about money lost to people like me who refuse to pay for horrible cable programming, reruns and commercials, Period. If they bumped the cap to 350 you'd see no difference in your quality of service.

Reactions: Chevyguy85
G

GuestK007

deleted my post, no point in it.

mods if you happen to see this, can we just close this never ending b**ch fest about internet caps that have been out since 14.4k days? lol this is a development site not a broadband review forum.

Last edited:
B

B.Jay

True, this discussion is a wee bit off-topic to Android development in general.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I don't care bout the rest, I wants me data. :)

I don't get a refund if I use less.

I use a Comcast 105/15 mbps line in Little Rock, AR. It's capped at 250GB, but in December I hit 1.9 TB in 3 weeks because I spent about $400 at the Steam Holiday Sale +automatic backups of all of it to backblaze. They got really mad, ended up having to get my lawyer to get them to shut up about it.

Speaking of the Internet, ever since I switched to LordClockAN's Ice Cold Sandwich 7.4 STRIPPER EDITION my AT&T HSPA+ speeds have nearly tripled. I'm getting 7.5-8 mbps now. I don't think I need LTE anymore, particularly since the vast majority of dev support for the HOX will be for the Tegra 3 version, and only 16GB of local storage is so not enough for 720p pron...

I'm sure. But that's nothing else, no gaming, no Pandora etc... I can tell you I pretty much just use Netflix and hulu , that brings me to my cap. If my son is with me he games then I'm over.

What's the point of tiered speed then? So I can pay more and get to my cap quicker? 250 is not about service for cable companies its about money lost to people like me who refuse to pay for horrible cable programming, reruns and commercials, Period. If they bumped the cap to 350 you'd see no difference in your quality of service.