[INFO] Kindle Fire 6.2 Software Update (29Nov11)

Search This thread

s0ysauce45

Jul 15, 2009
I think you have to be unrooted when updating and then reroot after. I bought my kindle yesterday and it updated as soon as I connected to my wifi and then I rooted with no problems.

srish2

Nov 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
LauncherPro crash after update

I had LauncherPro running as my default launcher for the last week (using it as a system app with correct permissions that I used Titanium Backup on my phone to grab). After the automatic update, I got this error:

The application Launcher Pro (process.android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectedly.

Because it was set as my default launcher, I couldn't break out of the loop. Re-rooted and luckily, found this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=739144

and uninstalled it via USB using:
adb uninstall com.fede.launcher

Phew!

hootingsalmon

Nov 30, 2011
Android Market installed but can't download apps

Has anyone experienced this problem. This happens in both 6.1 and 6.2. The store seems to work just fine, but the apps are just listed as downloading in the download tab and nothing progresses beyond.

sarge363

Nov 7, 2010
Robstown, Tx
My KF just updated and the only thing that it broke was root. I just used S1C and got it back. Dont know why my market didn't break like most people. I had voodoo temp-unroot on when it updated.

Also, When I first got the market working I pushed the Googlefeedback.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk, and Vending.apk through ADB.

I don't know why I was spared from having to repush to get the market back.

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
My KF just updated and the only thing that it broke was root. I just used S1C and got it back. Dont know why my market didn't break like most people. I had voodoo temp-unroot on when it updated.

Also, When I first got the market working I pushed the Googlefeedback.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk, and Vending.apk through ADB.

I don't know why I was spared from having to repush to get the market back.

I am pretty sure it's how you install/copy it. You don't HAVE to install it once you put it in /system/app. On reboot, anything it finds in there is able to be run because it's a system app, and thus why your permissions have to be set accordingly. However, you can install it from that location, and I believe at this point it becomes a user app, and therefore resides in /data/app. 6.2 didn't appear to overwrite /data/app, and thus the Market survives, but what you will probably find is that Vending.apk (or whatever file you copied into /system/app), is probably not there.

I could be wrong in this assumption, but initially this is my thinking! :)

fleton

Feb 5, 2011
System is even more responsive with the new update, other then having to re root haven't noticed any issues. Is amazon going to release any official notes on the update?

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
System is even more responsive with the new update, other then having to re root haven't noticed any issues. Is amazon going to release any official notes on the update?

If they haven't already, I can't imagine they would. Someone in this thread (forget who), chatted with Amazon CS, and they were coy about it, said it was "usability enhancements".

efalis

Nov 27, 2011
rooted with S1C it worked for me. No problems i tested root explorer super user and a screen shot app all of them got Root access. mounted root as rw. must reboot after root. for access to SD card. Installed Market no problem I say its a GO!

Installed all Google apps no problem No force closes no nothing

I didn't even need to reinstall Android Market. Just re-root with Super1Click.

webmastertroi

Jul 24, 2008
Washington, D.C.
www.facebook.com
I also had no trouble with Android Market after the update. The only reason I knew something was wrong is because I was trying to copy the Google Calendar Sync file to system/app and Root Explorer popped up a dialogue saying I didn't have root access anymore.

I don't have time tonight but I will reroot tomorrow. Also, all of my GAPPS are still intact and working fine.. weird because many of you had to re-push the Market.

Anywho, this is a temporary inconvenience considering they could have locked the device altogether... *shrugs*

SenorDeuce

Dec 28, 2010
Apps not compatible

I admit I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this has been discussed (also worth noting that apparently the search thread function does not work from the kindle browser). I lost root and the apps I had installed to system but not the market. Now when I'm in the market, every app says not compatible with your device. Any one else have this problem? Would reinstalling the market fix it?

webmastertroi

Jul 24, 2008
Washington, D.C.
www.facebook.com
I admit I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this has been discussed (also worth noting that apparently the search thread function does not work from the kindle browser). I lost root and the apps I had installed to system but not the market. Now when I'm in the market, every app says not compatible with your device. Any one else have this problem? Would reinstalling the market fix it?

I doubt reinstalling will fix it because the issue is most likely in the build.prop file, which I believe was one of the files that was overwritten in the update. Although trying to re-install wouldn't hurt...

If you're familiar, you could try editing the build.prop file "fingerprint" section (which you can find on xda doing a quick search). I'm not exactly sure if that's the problem in your case though.

btrvalik

Nov 21, 2011
The only thing that stopped working for me was Voodoo OTA.. I'm sure a Super 1 click will fix that. The only thing I noticed was that GoLauncher EX was not longer the default one.. easily reset. I've been leaving my devise in the un-rooted state unless I need to install something.. I think it's a bit safer that way – from hacks and my kids ;) As others have said, bug fixes are a good thing.

The Anthem

Nov 29, 2011
Virgina Beach, VA
After update I saw no changes. I had already unrooted to restore Amazon VOD. GoLauncher still launches by default, market still launches and downloads, no FCs on any of the google apps.

gloos

Nov 24, 2011
London
I extracted the .bin update, deleted the facebook app and some that I didn't want it to update, re-compressed the thing and updated my Kindle. I don't understand why but I haven't even lost my root and it updated in 2 mins just fine.

Dmlindley

Nov 12, 2011
Android Market

Had some issues initially with getting the Android Market to work properly after re-rooting upon update.

Re-rooting went just fine without any issues, I was even able to open the market. Once I tried to update some apps, thats when it force closed and popped up with an error.

I uninstalled the market and reinstalled. MAKE SURE TO FIX YOUR PERMISSIONS IN system/app/vending.apk

Everything working great now!!!

nursereese

Sep 24, 2010
Portland, OR
The most annoying thing besides the update just installing of it's own accord was losing my SwiftKey, forgot to back up all my system apps. :( Never again. Thanks to all those posting such helpful hints and tricks here on XDA. I love the Android community! :)

Sent from my Rooted Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rooted with S1C it worked for me. No problems i tested root explorer super user and a screen shot app all of them got Root access. mounted root as rw. must reboot after root. for access to SD card. Installed Market no problem I say its a GO!

Installed all Google apps no problem No force closes no nothing
    So, it appears my Kindle Fire just updated itself on it's own! No warning, it just did it! I caught it as the progress bar was about 50% across the screen.

Confirmed 6.2 Software Update via Amazon Support Site

Here is what I know:

1. It removes root functionality, including the SuperUser.apk
    2. It removes the Google Market app (some people say theirs is still working after update, so it could be how it was added/installed) and some of the other Google sync apk's that reside in /system/app (probably because that whole directory gets overwritten).
    3. It overwrites the framework-res.apk file, so any customizations that were made to it (battery charge icon, custom wallpaper etc.), will be wiped out.
    4. If you removed built-in apps like Facebook and IMDB before the update, they will have re-appeared again.

With some testing from Veritass (someone brave enough to try re-rooting again after the update), it is now pretty much back to normal. The steps I took to get there were:

1. Re-root using the standard SuperOneClick method we are all used to
    2. Re-added the following apks in /system/app and applied the correct permissions:

- Vending.apk
    - GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    - GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk

Everything else was still working BEFORE I re-rooted, as the GoogleServicesFramework.apk remains intact and running. This includes, but is not limited to Gmail, Maps, Calendar, YouTube, Translate, Finance.

So, all is well again, and it didn't really mess up too much (that I can see). A minor inconvenience for no particular gain as far as I can see.

NOTE:

1. Amazon Video still doesn't work when rooted
    2. The stock Carousel app still won't allow you to remove apps (not that I care about that myself, but you'd figure that a fix was imminent as this was a major gripe for a lot of users!)
    3. Auto brightness is still not enabled

Software%252520Update.png

6.1 here as well; although, I will not be surprised if there are a lot of updates over the next couple months. It's interesting it auto updates because of the rooting implications, though.

6.2 is coming, it's confirmed on their website (I updated my OP). But, yes it's worrying to those who have rooted (especially as it breaks it). I can't see any particular reason for the update either. The much touted Carosel fix (i.e being able to delete items from it) is not present.

I'll do some more digging....
    So, here is an update on where I am with my device. It's pretty much back to normal. The steps I took to get there were:

1. Re-root using the standard SuperOneClick method we are all used to.
    2. Re-added the following apks in /system/app and applied the correct permissions:

- Vending.apk
    - GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    - GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk

Everything else was still working BEFORE I re-rooted, as the GoogleServicesFramework.apk remains intact and running. This includes, but is not limited to Gmail, Maps, Calendar, YouTube, Translate, Finance.

So, all is well again, and it didn't really mess up too much. A minor inconvenience for no particular gain as far as I can see.

NOTE:

Amazon Video still doesn't work when rooted
    The stock Carousel app still won't allow you to remove apps (not that I care about that myself, but you'd figure that a fix was imminent as this was a major gripe for a lot of users!)

I will update my OP with this information.
    I had no problem re-rooting etc...

I'm curious though, where did you get GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from.

It was not in the gapps download that I got that included most of the Google apps. As a result, I didn't have Google Contacts on my KF.

Yeah not sure why it's not in gapps, but I ripped it off my Droid. But to note, you can't use the Google Contacts app. You need to use the built in Contacts app because the Google one has a lot of phone based hooks and it doesn't work. There may be a tablet specific version floating around somewhere, but I don't have one, and have never seen one. The only caveat with syncing your contacts from Google is that it syncs not only your saved contacts, but also your cached contacts too (i.e. folks you sent emails to but never saved them as a contact)! Kind of annoying but it's not the end of the world.

In any case, here is a link to my file - GoogleContactSyncAdapter.apk