Rooted 4.2 and Killed Write Protection - Can I install Rom now??

Search This thread

mpetruzz

Nov 25, 2010
I was on 4.4 and downgraded to 4.2. Rooted using Rockmymoto and also ran MotoWPnomo.

Can i install a recovery and flash a ROM? Wasn't sure and wanted to ask before I fubar my phone.

mawells787

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Its not that simple because of the locked boot loader.

First of all why do you need a custom ROM on this phone? its vanilla android with a few good enhancements that you will lose with a custom ROM.

With a locked bootloader your only alternative is to use safestrap. The developer choose not to make a thread on xda. You will have to visit rootzwiki and find it. However, you should really understand the danger of having a locked bootloader and messing with safe strap and custom Roms. If something goes bad or you don't know what you're doing you might end up with a brick.

You should do a little more research before continuing. But now that you have root access xposed framework is really all you need. Combined with gravitybox there's no reason to mess with safestrap or custom Roms.

The Search bar is your best friend.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
I was on 4.4 and downgraded to 4.2. Rooted using Rockmymoto and also ran MotoWPnomo.

Can i install a recovery and flash a ROM? Wasn't sure and wanted to ask before I fubar my phone.

You need to have an unlocked bootloader to install a custom recovery and to flash a rom. All models should be unlockable except the AT&T and Verizon models. However, they do offer developer editions that are unlockable. If you have a device that can't be unlocked, you could try safestrap. Safestrap acts like a customer recovery by allowing you to flash roms made for safestrap to rom slots on your phone to while avoiding touching the primary system. You can also make backups and restore. If your bootloader is locked this would be your only option to flash roms.

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Its not that simple because of the locked boot loader.

First of all why do you need a custom ROM on this phone? its vanilla android with a few good enhancements that you will lose with a custom ROM.

With a locked bootloader your only alternative is to use safestrap. The developer choose not to make a thread on xda. You will have to visit rootzwiki and find it. However, you should really understand the danger of having a locked bootloader and messing with safe strap and custom Roms. If something goes bad or you don't know what you're doing you might end up with a brick.

You should do a little more research before continuing. But now that you have root access xposed framework is really all you need. Combined with gravitybox there's no reason to mess with safestrap or custom Roms.

The Search bar is your best friend.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

i agree the Moto X is a great phone from factory.

Install Titanium Backup Pro and remove the bloat ware

then install Xposed Framework with Gravity Box for 4.4 and customize boom no reason to install custom rom's

cw18306

Jan 8, 2014
Paradise
i agree the Moto X is a great phone from factory.

Install Titanium Backup Pro and remove the bloat ware

then install Xposed Framework with Gravity Box for 4.4 and customize boom no reason to install custom rom's

I am rooted and stock. Does Xposed with GB keep you stock? Also, does the upcoming 4.4.2 update unroot you?

mpetruzz

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks guys. I ended up rooting on 4.4 and installed Xposed. I just wanted a few tweaks, mainly lockscreen ring.

Which module changes the color of the statusbar icons??

Last edited:

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Thanks guys. I ended up rooting on 4.4 and installed Xposed. I just wanted a few tweaks, mainly lockscreen ring.

Which module changes the color of the statusbar icons??
gravity box can change it

attached screen shot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-23-12-07-59.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-23-12-07-59.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 34