[Q] Nexus 5 advice from someone coming from carrier-specific device

Search This thread

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I never owned a Nexus device and have always purchased a phone from the carrier, like Verizon HTC Thunderbolt, AT&T Galaxy Note and S4 Active. These carrier devices have bloatware and restrictions, not to mention manufacturer skins. I want to get the Nexus 5 for the pure experience of Google UI and no restriction.

Thus, I have some question for those who bought the N5 directly from Google (My understanding is that if you bought it from, say T-Mobile, it'll have T-Mobile ROM):

1). Is there any tethering restriction?

2). Does it works with BOTH T-Mobile and AT&T 4G LTE? In the past, I believe, the N4 only have 3G for T-Mobile but 4G for AT&T

3). Any apps that drain the battery? Carrier specific bloatware have tons of apps that kills battery and I cannot disable all of them or it'll crash the UI.

4). Speaking of battery, all devices I had before have removable battery. AFAIK, N5 have worse battery due to the small battery size, regardless of use. What do you guys use for a SMALL yet pocketable external battery?
PS: On my S4 Active, I use stock ROM and have 2nd external battery. It's small enough I just put it in my wallet. Furthermore, I use the phone extensively (4 hours screen time in 8 hours, 3 GMail syncing, 1 GCalendar syncing, etc) but I still have 30% battery by the 8th hour.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I never owned a Nexus device and have always purchased a phone from the carrier, like Verizon HTC Thunderbolt, AT&T Galaxy Note and S4 Active. These carrier devices have bloatware and restrictions, not to mention manufacturer skins. I want to get the Nexus 5 for the pure experience of Google UI and no restriction.

Thus, I have some question for those who bought the N5 directly from Google (My understanding is that if you bought it from, say T-Mobile, it'll have T-Mobile ROM):

2). Does it works with BOTH T-Mobile and AT&T 4G LTE? In the past, I believe, the N4 only have 3G for T-Mobile but 4G for AT&T

3). Any apps that drain the battery? Carrier specific bloatware have tons of apps that kills battery and I cannot disable all of them or it'll crash the UI.

4). Speaking of battery, all devices I had before have removable battery. AFAIK, N5 have worse battery due to the small battery size, regardless of use. What do you guys use for a SMALL yet pocketable external battery?
PS: On my S4 Active, I use stock ROM and have 2nd external battery. It's small enough I just put it in my wallet. Furthermore, I use the phone extensively (4 hours screen time in 8 hours, 3 GMail syncing, 1 GCalendar syncing, etc) but I still have 30% battery by the 8th hour.

1. no. unlimited tether is included in all their plans except the completely unlimited high speed data plan, which includes 2.5gb tethering(you can buy more).
2. yes, works with both tmobile and att. and no, the nexus 4 had 3.5g for both tmobile and att(hspa+). the nexus 4 idnt come with lte officially, but the lte could have been unlocked for band 4 lte, which its mostly tmobile that uses band 4.
3. the nexus 5 doesnt come with bloatware.
4. youve read too many blogs, the nexus 5 has great battery life. i see a minimum of 5 hours screen on time every single day.

Reactions: lanwarrior

Beauenheim

Sep 12, 2012
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
There also isn't a T-Mobile ROM at all. The nexus 5 is just one device (in the rest of the world there's a difference only in bands).

2.5gb simple choice from T-Mobile gets 500mb of tethering.

This is an unlocked phone. It'll work on any gsm carrier.

Battery life is great on this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. no. unlimited tether is included in all their plans except the completely unlimited high speed data plan, which includes 2.5gb tethering(you can buy more).
    2. yes, works with both tmobile and att. and no, the nexus 4 had 3.5g for both tmobile and att(hspa+). the nexus 4 idnt come with lte officially, but the lte could have been unlocked for band 4 lte, which its mostly tmobile that uses band 4.
    3. the nexus 5 doesnt come with bloatware.
    4. youve read too many blogs, the nexus 5 has great battery life. i see a minimum of 5 hours screen on time every single day.