[Q] How to keep ATT/HTC apps from re-installing after installing GPe custom ROM

Search This thread

cmhinnen

Apr 17, 2014
I just unlocked and rooted my device to install a Google Play Edition ROM. The ROM installed fine and it is great, but after the ROM was installed and booting the phone, the Google Play Store re-installs all of the HTC/ATT applications when re-installing all the applications I had installed on the phone. Is there a way to prevent this? This was the main reason I went to a GPe ROM so I wouldn't have all the bloatware from ATT/HTC. Is this possible or do I have to just go through and uninstall them all? I did a factory reset in TWRP before installing the ROM.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
I just unlocked and rooted my device to install a Google Play Edition ROM. The ROM installed fine and it is great, but after the ROM was installed and booting the phone, the Google Play Store re-installs all of the HTC/ATT applications when re-installing all the applications I had installed on the phone. Is there a way to prevent this? This was the main reason I went to a GPe ROM so I wouldn't have all the bloatware from ATT/HTC. Is this possible or do I have to just go through and uninstall them all? I did a factory reset in TWRP before installing the ROM.

Did you use the "restore account" function when you were setting up your phone? Or whatever the restore function is. Perhaps Un-check that box, so you can decide in the play store which to install.

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
Yeah, if you like changing roms all the time it's annoying, but uncheck the back/restore apps and settings option when you sign into your Google account

xxhorseriderxxx

May 15, 2011
Phoenix
Yeah, if you like changing roms all the time it's annoying, but uncheck the back/restore apps and settings option when you sign into your Google account

Whenever you switch from a GPe ROM to a stock ROM it'll happen if you back up your apps and restore upon setup. I find it's easier to allow the google restore to take place; go into your accounts apps in the Play Store and click the x on each app you don't want backed up anymore (it'll ask if you want to remove it from your account, say yes). The next time you restore a GPe ROM (as an update, or a clean install for whatever reason) you won't get the extra apps installed by default. The next time you switch to a stock ROM, they won't autodownload, but you'll have to remove them from your account after setting up the stock ROM.

If you use a stock ROM that doesn't have the bloatware, this isn't even an issue.