Mounting Tab as Mass Storage on Windows

Search This thread

jhild352

Dec 24, 2010
Miami, Florida
I picked up my tab this morning and have had a hell of a time mounting it as USB storage to transfer movies and pics ect... but I figured it out so I thought I'd share with the XDA community simply because there really isnt anything out there that I could find on Google.

1. download USB drivers from samsung: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ga...eration+-+10.1+Tab_Galaxy+Tab_galaxy+tab+10.1

2. install drivers

3. reboot pc

4. turn off usb debugging... VERY IMPORTANT AS IT IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT

5. plug in via usb

6. enjoy!!

If it works for you please hit the "thanks" button :D

Vexorg

Dec 16, 2010
Still didnt work for me. Found issue with hardware error from windwos :/. This is such a pain.

hobbiteer

Mar 18, 2006
Works to transfer "recognized" files extensions. However things like .mkv or .mpg make windows explorer crash. When I transferred an avi file it wanted to convert it. Seriously, WTF samsung? I loved your stuff but this is a bit much. I should be able to treat it like an SD card.

Last edited:

slombar

Dec 29, 2008
Works to transfer "recognized" files extensions. However things like .mkv or .mpg make windows explorer crash. When I transferred an avi file it wanted to convert it. Seriously, WTF samsung? I loved your stuff but this is a bit much. I should be able to treat it like an SD card.

Been having the same problem. Transferring .wmv or .mov files makes my pc crash. Although I was able to plug it into a different pc and it was automatically recognized as USB and worked fine. I wonder if it has anything to do with my galaxy s drivers.

Diversion

Mar 2, 2010
This is pretty useless.. it's treated like Apple treats their devices... as some kind of media device and not just a regular drive.

Looks like a large oversight on Samsung's side.. can be easily fixed, luckily.

stinky73

Aug 28, 2010
Courchevel
What are you lot talking about?
You do, unfortunately, need latest version of kies installed, USB debugging switched off, plug the thing in and is recognised as a removable drive... you don't need to use kies but is just active in the background and displayed on screen of tab...

All files transfer no problem including .mkv .AVI etc. If your explorer crashes it is a problem with explorer... sometimes caused by other software that is integrated into explorer contextual menus...ie if you have a bootcamp Mac with macdrive installed the explorer pane ( tree listing) will always crash explorer if you try to copy and paste from there... you have to do it from the large pane on right...

Hope this helps

stinky73

Aug 28, 2010
Courchevel
Forgot to say if you're having driver problems the latest is here
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/GT-P7510UWVXAB

Install drivers from executable file downloaded from above...

When you connect your tab Best way to ensure satisfactory installation is to ignore " found new hardware blah blah, search for drivers blah blah" go to device manager find the non installed Samsung, right click and select update drivers, browse... the above installed drivers are in program files, Samsung, usb drivers... select USB drivers folder, validate et voila ;)

Last edited:

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Hi jhild352!

Honeycomb tablet cannot be mounted as mass storage, for the simple reason there is no more real sdcard formated in Fat32.

/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /system ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /efs ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/fuse /mnt/sdcard fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0

Everything is in Ext4, and sdcard is "emulated" via fuse.
That's why Honeycomb tablets use MTP instead, which I agree sucks.

bella92108

Feb 15, 2011
California
Wonder if anyone's figured out a way to get this ****er mounted in Mac.

Sorry for the potty mouth, I'm just annoyed @ Samsung, haha.

hehe

jhild352

Dec 24, 2010
Miami, Florida
Yes this is true... my bad for wording it the wrong way. I simply ment that you could plug it into a PC and transfer pics/movies/song ect

Sent from my Gingerblured Atrix using XDA Premium App

jman391

Mar 19, 2010
Kies works well for music, photos, and movies, but how would I go about putting a book on it without using dropbox? Why couldn't they just make it to where we could mount it as a drive like with an sdcard?! Samsung, you make everything overly difficult!

Reactions: bella92108

sts_fin

Dec 15, 2008
www.androidsuomi.fi
I picked up my tab this morning and have had a hell of a time mounting it as USB storage to transfer movies and pics ect... but I figured it out so I thought I'd share with the XDA community simply because there really isnt anything out there that I could find on Google.

1. download USB drivers from samsung: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ga...eration+-+10.1+Tab_Galaxy+Tab_galaxy+tab+10.1

2. install drivers

3. reboot pc

5. plug in via usb

6. enjoy!!

Excatly the same way that it works on the Xoom, funny that has been such a big issue. (ok on the xoom it works also with the debugging on)

grellanl

Aug 16, 2009
London
On the upside, the new ext4-based arrangement gives Honeycomb a unified internal storage, which is really great. Avoids the whole business of contention, and mounting internal storage that the device may be using for other things. Allows proper permissions to be applied. I don't particularly have an issue with MTP either, for media transfers. Obviously this isn't an issue with cloud-based ways of getting media onto the device, which is the way things are heading.

But I think this is why having an SD card slot is still valuable, and Sammy made a mistake not putting one in the Gtab10.1 - using SD card you can just pop some movies onto your tablet from your PC, or have multiple SD cards at the ready - same for having a blank SD at the ready for updates. It's a far better arrangement than mounting internal storage, IMHO.

nobleskill

Feb 4, 2011
I know its not really the solution to the issue but an obvious workaround would be wifi file explorer? I think I remember even using adhock and then using the PC browser to upload and download the files. Not ideal but atleast enables quick updates of media and such.

If its only got ext4 its never going to mount in dozzz no later the drivers/programs ect. I had a hell of a time trying to get some media of a popcornhour a-100.. long story short ended up just ftp'ing everything off. Hey what about andftp too?

Or a live Linux distro might do the trick.. lol six to one on any time savings but could work??

AFTERTHOUGHT: Hmm I'm wondering if android commander would cope? I'm sure I've used it on a ext4 ROM and pushed stuff into the system partition. Or is that trickery on its part? I'd have a crack... but I'm on my p1000 for a little longer... :-(

Also perhaps; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952456

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. install drivers

3. reboot pc

5. plug in via usb

6. enjoy!!

Hi jhild352!

Honeycomb tablet cannot be mounted as mass storage, for the simple reason there is no more real sdcard formated in Fat32.

/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /system ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /efs ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev/fuse /mnt/sdcard fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0

Everything is in Ext4, and sdcard is "emulated" via fuse.
    That's why Honeycomb tablets use MTP instead, which I agree sucks.
    I took my Tab to the office and the latest drivers (see previous page) that installed on my laptop fine - but cannot access tab as drive. I tried to connect the tab without installing the drivers and 'bobs your uncle' - It came up as a storage device - WITHOUT the drivers.

I guess one have to choose between a drive(no Drivers0 and ADB access(drivers).

First Android device that I have (1.5 ->) that behaves like this. It must be something in HC that is an issue with the USB storage mounting inside the OS.
    Yes. Starting with HC, there was a move to a "unified" file system. /sdcard is a directory on an ext4 partition shared with /data, instead of being a separate FAT32 partition. Only Linux machines would be able to understand a USB Mass Storage drive formatted with ext4.

The new method (MTP) is file-based instead of block-device-based, so it doesn't need the host to understand ext4 and it doesn't require the Tab to unmount the drive before exporting it. However it does mean the host needs to speak MTP. :(
    It works, but not as a removable storage device. It sees it as a portable device, which isn't as good. :(
    Kies works well for music, photos, and movies, but how would I go about putting a book on it without using dropbox? Why couldn't they just make it to where we could mount it as a drive like with an sdcard?! Samsung, you make everything overly difficult!