[All Carriers]Touch Wiz Themeing Questions

Search This thread

sofreshjive

Dec 22, 2010
yes correct. but if you pull the statusbar down, it appears again on your statusbar, right?
edit: if someone could post a stock SystemUI.apk that is deodexed from either a Sprint or Rogers dump, i would greatly appreciate it :)

Here you go, Rogers stock SystemUI.apk:

Attachments

• SystemUI.apk
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
nope it never reappeared on my phone, unless i put the entry back in manually

no, this did not work. the SystemUI came back with a FC with that entire line deleted. and, before it FC'd, i also saw that it was still there...
no dice. will await Shane to take a look.
it has got to be the smali that needs changing as well. really wish i had a Rogers or Sprint SystemUI :(
edit: sofreshjive, that is odexed. i need DEODEXED.

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
View attachment 1181129

Hmm not sure then if you were gettin an FC....theming on AOSP is so much easier lol

off the bat i can tell everyone that the android:id="@id/carrierLabel" within tw_status_bar.xml has nothing to do with it. this is here on the Rogers SystemUI as well. this xml is identical to the ATT one. i can't check the smali code because the Rogers SystemUI is ODEXED. i need DEODEXED

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

View attachment 1181129

Hmm not sure then if you were gettin an FC....theming on AOSP is so much easier lol

nah, just as easy theming non-AOSP if you know where to find most things...sometimes it just takes some thought when starting out.

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
nope it never reappeared on my phone, unless i put the entry back in manually

Would you be so kind as to post your systemui for others to look at? This is something that many on GSM devices are going to ask for. If you have it working we would like to figure out how you did it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Would you be so kind as to post your systemui for others to look at? This is something that many on GSM devices are going to ask for. If you have it working we would like to figure out how you did it.

it's def smali code, Shane. this is how it was removed from the AT&T HTC One X. i can try to download that SystemUI and see what they did but i may end up PM'ing the guy who did it.
edit: here's a ref point for the HOX http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26944751&postcount=40

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago

Sure, I'm on DietICS for ATT flashing it causes my carrier label to disappear.

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
no difference in CarrierLabel.smali, but there is a difference within the CarrierLabel$1.smali... going to see what was changed, make the change, and flash to see if it works.
edit: line 142 of ours needs to be deleted... still checking for more.
line 270, delete. then delete line 276. then delete line 282. then delete line 288. going to re-compile and see what happens lol

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
alright, so the compile and everything worked, but it's still there. gonna try one more thing...
edit: oh it's still there because the changes didn't take. doh! hold on guys heh :)
edit: uhhh i deleted classes.dex which is what you delete when recompiling if you've changed smali code but it didn't take. any ideas, Shane?
apparently there's problems with editing smali code with apktool so that's the issue. i'm just going to decompile standalone smali and recompile that and try again :)

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
alright, so the compile and everything worked, but it's still there. gonna try one more thing...
edit: oh it's still there because the changes didn't take. doh! hold on guys heh :)
edit: uhhh i deleted classes.dex which is what you delete when recompiling if you've changed smali code but it didn't take. any ideas, Shane?

and there in lies the same problem I was having yesterday on my windows box, whenever i tried to decompile/compile after changes were made they wouldn't stick in the newly compiled apk...ended up using my linux box when i got home and voila things saved...hopefully shane or someone else can figure it out.

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
apparently there's problems with editing smali code with apktool so that's the issue. i'm just going to decompile standalone smali and recompile that and try again :)
You did everything I would have done.

With me spending my entire ICS existance on the Nexus S up until 2 weeks ago I compiled everything from source as to not have to deal with editing smali. Unfortunately that is not an option for us.

and there in lies the same problem I was having yesterday on my windows box, whenever i tried to decompile/compile after changes were made they would stick in the newly compiled apk...ended up using my linux box when i got home and voila things saved...hopefully shane or someone else can figure it out.
I would have probably ended up doing the same after getting very pissy and throwing a tantrum about not being able to it in windows.

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
You did everything I would have done.

With me spending my entire ICS existance on the Nexus S up until 2 weeks ago I compiled everything from source as to not have to deal with editing smali. Unfortunately that is not an option for us.

I would have probably ended up doing the same after getting very pissy and throwing a tantrum about not being able to it in windows.

what i'm doing now is just decompiling classes.dex seperately and i'm going to recompile. apktool hasn't been updated to take care of classes.dex yet so that is the issue. with doing this, i've learned something new, how to backsmali/smali :)
win win. will update here shortly...

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

i still can't get the changes to stick. not sure what route to go now.

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
what i'm doing now is just decompiling classes.dex seperately and i'm going to recompile. apktool hasn't been updated to take care of classes.dex yet so that is the issue. with doing this, i've learned something new, how to backsmali/smali :)
win win. will update here shortly...

I think the last apktool update was in December, so yeah, it's getting dated. And I had just assumed for what ever misguided reason that you had already tried to smali/baksmali. Though I have to admit that my results with that method have been less than stellar. The apktool method always had worked great for me, but that was on gingerbread.

Edit: Saw your edit, this SUCKS!!!! Assuming you have winmerged all the files and tried flashing the posted apk?

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think the last apktool update was in December, so yeah, it's getting dated. And I had just assumed for what ever misguided reason that you had already tried to smali/baksmali. Though I have to admit that my results with that method have been less than stellar. The apktool method always had worked great for me, but that was on gingerbread.

Edit: Saw your edit, this SUCKS!!!! Assuming you have winmerged all the files and tried flashing the posted apk?

i try not to flash apk files that i'm not 100% are built from our stock doedexed ROM. i just used the posted apk to find the lines that needed to be deleted and modified them on ours. i could always just pull over that classes.dex file but that is risky as well since there are obv changes in that one. i'm really not sure why the latest smali/backsmali 1.3.3 wouldn't be working with this. maybe i need to downgrade to 1.3.2 :confused:

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
i try not to flash apk files that i'm not 100% are built from our stock doedexed ROM. i just used the posted apk to find the lines that needed to be deleted and modified them on ours. i could always just pull over that classes.dex file but that is risky as well since there are obv changes in that one. i'm really not sure why the latest smali/backsmali 1.3.3 wouldn't be working with this. maybe i need to downgrade to 1.3.2 :confused:

I blame touchwiz that is all :p seriously tho if you figure this out on windows you will save alot of ppl headaches lol

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
so i've done this on another computer and still no dice lol
i decompiled the apk and tried it that way. and i tried it again with baksmali/smali.
if anyone has any insight as to how to get dex files to stick, i'd love to hear it.

deserted1

Feb 6, 2011
any idea what i could change this to to get rid of it?
edit: i added android:visibility="gone" and it's still there. decompiled tweaked version and my changes are intact. had a good compile, too. going to try one more thing..
okay, what appears to be happening is as soon as you do a pulldown, the carrier string shows up and sticks in the bar again so there must be another place it's being called in. going to do some more digging and see what i can find.

I found this to work better for making it dissapear,
Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.CarrierLabel android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/carrierLabel" android:background="#ff000000" android:paddingLeft="0.0dip" android:paddingRight="0.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="0.0dip" android:singleLine="true" />

notice how i changed its width and height, to 0.0dip.. this removes it.

if i remember correctly you have to find both lines one in statusbar and the other in status extended, the statusbar file is just the lockscreen statusbar from what i have found.

I did this and it works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the carriers were split up and the most posts in the original thread came from the AT&T themers, I think we should make that the main thread.
    [All Carriers]Touch Wiz Themeing Questions
    Please post in the thread linked above so we can keep all the info in one thread.

Since themeing Samsung's TouchWiz UI is not quite as simple as AOSP, and sometimes even device specific, I thought it would be nice to have thread for the themers here to help each other, post tips and things like that so we can all learn and get some killer themes going on this thing.

Also, (if this gets becomes a sticky) we can keep the themeing question threads to a minimum.

For those of you that don't know me, I've been themeing Android for about a year and a half now. I started on the Epic 4G then moved over to the Nexus S 4G. I'm always willing to help others at time permits.

Happy Themeing!

Since the US carriers were combined into one forum, please note the carrier for you device when posting.

When people are helping you make sure you use the "Thanks" button to show your appreciation!

Here are some goodies that have been posted so far.

Remove Carrier ID from status bar on AT&T rom: Thanks to mrvirginia & deserted1 Here

Guide to remove Carrier ID / Clock from the status bar by deserted1

How to center the clock by Swiftks

Some more status bar mods thanks to freeza

There are many other tips, hints, how to's, and tools in the thread so please search to help keep the thread clean.
    Hmm. The only images I see on the ROM from there are the toggles. I also changed the extended power menu icons at framework-res, but I haven't had any luck finding how to edit the background color of the menus. I've been told it is in res/values/styles.xml but I don't know which line(s) to edit. There are more than 2000 lines in there.

I was told it's the popup dark pngs in framework res drawable xhdpi. :D

Thebe@r'$ G@L@XY
    Thanks, I'll check once more.

Popup dark top, middle, and bottom. There's 3.

Thebe@r'$ G@L@XY
    Can someone explain why I cant decompile any 4.2 systemui's? I am using apk multitool. I can decompile and recompile framework-res all day long but systemui's always error out saying that the file can not be found? Any help would be appreciated.

You probably need to add the latest APKTOOL to your system path. There should be three files you can add there.
    does anyone know what controls the color of the text in the header titles that are blocked off so i can change the hex to transparent.
    I'm thinking SecContacts.apk res/values/colors.xml but not sure which one, if anyone could help out it would be much appreciated,

device20130330004403.png
    In the layout folder, open actionbar_custom_tab.xml

There is a text view line...add

android:visibility="gone"

to that line and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317