Hidden Settings App Updated 3/9/12

Search This thread

cfoesch

Dec 27, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Has anyone had sucess with the unknown souces feature?

As they patched PackageInstaller.apk, I imagine that they simply completely locked out that codepath, and it is no longer accessible. I mean, if I were going to go with the clumsy hamfisted nuclear option, that's what I would do. As this seems the modus operandi of B&N, I doubt that such sideloading would be any sort of available option in the future.

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
Link to video of this application if you want to put it up on OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8V9ZorJpwM
Hope I got everything right. I was still a little unclear about that new bottom button for installation of unknown locations etc. Maybe explain a little further on OP? Let me know and I will add an annotatino to the video on those few seconds of the film

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
As they patched PackageInstaller.apk, I imagine that they simply completely locked out that codepath, and it is no longer accessible. I mean, if I were going to go with the clumsy hamfisted nuclear option, that's what I would do. As this seems the modus operandi of B&N, I doubt that such sideloading would be any sort of available option in the future.

They didn't actually mess with the PackageInstaller.apk. They changed the settings app so every time you check "Unknown Sources" then go out of settings and back in, "Unknown Sources" will be unchecked again. With this unchecked, your only way to install apps in 1.4.1 is to sideload or Market. This feature will allow you to check "Unknown Sources" and keep it checked.

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
Link to video of this application if you want to put it up on OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8V9ZorJpwM
Hope I got everything right. I was still a little unclear about that new bottom button for installation of unknown locations etc. Maybe explain a little further on OP? Let me know and I will add an annotatino to the video on those few seconds of the film

Thanks! If you have 1.4.1 and you go into Application Settings>Unknown sources will be unchecked. After you use this feature, Application Settings>Unknown sources will be checked. It might take a second or two before settings realizes a change has been made.

As mention by the previous poster, the status bar is context sensitive, so if there is no back button, swipe your finger along the status bar from right to left will send a back key press to the app. (Swiping from right to left doesn't always work for me.) In most cases, the physical button is context sensitive too and will send a back key press to the app (one click), but if you've hijacked the button in any way, it doesn't always work and just take you to your home screen.

cfoesch

Dec 27, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
They didn't actually mess with the PackageInstaller.apk. They changed the settings app so every time you check "Unknown Sources" then go out of settings and back in, "Unknown Sources" will be unchecked again. With this unchecked, your only way to install apps in 1.4.1 is to sideload or Market. This feature will allow you to check "Unknown Sources" and keep it checked.

So, what you're telling me is that they totally don't even think about things and do stuff like make Bright dark, and such like that rather than actually really solving the problem?

WTF B&N, seriously... v_v Go into PackageInstaller.apk, and where it checks to see if "Unknown Sources" is checked, you make it always false. Not hard, guys. ... These guys are way too incompetent to be writing such a drastic fork of Android...

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
So, what you're telling me is that they totally don't even think about things and do stuff like make Bright dark, and such like that rather than actually really solving the problem?

WTF B&N, seriously... v_v Go into PackageInstaller.apk, and where it checks to see if "Unknown Sources" is checked, you make it always false. Not hard, guys. ... These guys are way too incompetent to be writing such a drastic fork of Android...

That would not have stopped us. We could have then just pushed the PackageInstaller.apk from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 or just copy the apk we want to install into /data/app/ then reboot.

darkquota

Nov 19, 2011
I got sideloading working finally. I used the unknown sources button once and rebooted immediately to no avail. Then I used the button again, waited a few minutes, then turned off and rebooted. It worked after that.

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I've rebooted several times and waited for an hour and it still won't stay enabled on mine. Sideload Wonder Machine works though and even though I can't sideload from Dropbox, I can still at least sideload.

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
I've rebooted several times and waited for an hour and it still won't stay enabled on mine. Sideload Wonder Machine works though and even though I can't sideload from Dropbox, I can still at least sideload.

Are you rooted? Are you clicking the button under NT Hidden Settings or under NT Hidden Settings>Application Settings? You should NOT be checking the one under Application Settings.

Reactions: SCClockDr

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I'm going to have to back up and punt. I'm rooted, but just to make sure I had the latest version, I uninstalled HiddenSettingsUpdate and when I connected my Nook, it keeps installing the Nook instead of an Android devce. I've removed all instances of the Nook and Mass Storage devices and it keeps installing anyway. I'll have to run this rabbit before I can even get to the Hiddensettings.

bobapunk

Feb 27, 2011
Peoria, IL
If I am on 1.4.0 with OTA's blocked (Settings reports software 9.9.9), do I need/should I install the most recent version of this app?

If I install it and then update to 1.4.1 manually, will I still have the ability to install from Android Market, Amazon App Store, and directly from downloaded and copied APKs?

Thanks for a great app Brian!

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
If I am on 1.4.0 with OTA's blocked (Settings reports software 9.9.9), do I need/should I install the most recent version of this app?

If I install it and then update to 1.4.1 manually, will I still have the ability to install from Android Market, Amazon App Store, and directly from downloaded and copied APKs?

Thanks for a great app Brian!

No, you do know need to install this update. If you upgrade to 1.4.1, you will need to use DeanGibson's root method on 1.4.0, so you can reroot after the upgrade. At that point, you will need to upgrade this app too.

Now that I think about it, maybe DeanGibson can app the Unknown sources fix during the root process? This would avoid some of the issues that people are having.

Reactions: bobapunk

bobapunk

Feb 27, 2011
Peoria, IL
This is most likely not the place to ask this, but what are the, if any, advantages of the 1.4.1 update? I thought that is was just B&N's attempt at re-locking down the device?

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
[/COLOR]
Are you rooted? Are you clicking the button under NT Hidden Settings or under NT Hidden Settings>Application Settings? You should NOT be checking the one under Application Settings.

I'm clicking the one under NT Hidden Settings. When I click it, it pops up a couple of small windows saying, sqlite3, libncurses.so
I just rebooted after the first time, I'm going to wait awhile and reboot again.

Last edited:

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
This is most likely not the place to ask this, but what are the, if any, advantages of the 1.4.1 update? I thought that is was just B&N's attempt at re-locking down the device?

According to an Official Unofficial post over at the B&N forums sideloading was one of the reasons for the update. It was for our own safety.:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wrote an app that accesses the hidden settings. I can add more of the hidden settings as we discover them.

Update via the market

Update 3/9/12
    Updated UI
    Added the ability to unblock OTA
    Added CyanoBoot Configuration options
    Credit to fattire
    See thread for more information: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522226

Update 2/15/12:
    Added "OTA Block" to the version number

Update 2/8/12:
    Added OTA Block
    Added Version Number
    Added Root test. This will prevent it from crashing if /system/bin/su does not exist.

Update 1/27/12:
    Updated Link

Update 1/14/12:
    Configured busybox to make symbolic links instead of copies
    Uninstall previous version before install this version

Update 1/11/12:
    Added AdamOutler's BHT
    Added ability to run the adb daemon as root and automatically turn off auto mount with one click. This does not require a reboot. If you reboot, everything goes back to their normal state. I will add an option to restore everything without a reboot in the near future. I am using the adb daemon from Indirect's ADB hijack that he got from Nemith. Credit to Indirect and Nemith.

Update 1/10/12:
    Fix an issue for users without busybox. This should now work even if you do not have busybox installed.

Update 12/30/2011:
    Fix for 1.4.1; it will allow you to install from unknown sources. (You must be rooted to use this feature. The nook might take a minute or two before realizing that the setting has changed. If you reboot, it speeds up the process.)

Update 12/29/2011:
    I added the Account and Sync settings and make the back button work properly.

Account and Sync Settings
    Accessibility Settings
    Application Settings > Development Settings
    Default Settings

Video from Albert Wertz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8V9ZorJpwM
    I just got my nook tablet and I need access to the accounts and sync menu listed in the update above... but being as the feds have seized multiupload the link is broken. Can anyone repost the api or send it to me directly? Any help would be appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54415404/NTHiddenSettings.apk

Try this.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    doesn't using AnyCut do the same thing?

No AnyCut just show the Accessibility Settings
    We really need the other two: Development Settings & Application Settings
    So thumbs up for this app and the author!!! :D
    What's the fix? Could you post a link?

You can read how to do it in this thread. Its actually really easy.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20364917
    I have a rooted 1.4.0 setup and when I try to click "Block OTA" from the Hacks menu I get the message:

"Failure! Over-The-Air updates set to" (rest of the isn't displayed).

I downloaded today directly from Google Market so it should be the most up to date version. Any ideas?

Have you resolved this? What root method did you use?