[Q] EU LTE Bands on a NA N5

Search This thread

kaeptn1

Nov 30, 2011
Hi, I'm going to pick up an American Nexus 5 in 2 weeks which I'm going to use in Germany.
Unfortunately, I just found out that the American N5 does not support LTE Bands 3,7 and 20, which are necessary to get LTE in Europe.
Now my question is, is it possible to enable those needed bands with a custom radio or is this a hardware issue?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I pretty much don't know anything about that stuff.
Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

Edit: I looked through this thread: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/lte-bands-nexus-5-t2502574/
but still couldnt find the answer.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK

This.

Although they technically have the same radio hardware, the radio unit is "factory programmed" differently. We don't know if it is a physical configuration or a firmware one as there is no documentation about this... Which means even if it is firmware, we wouldn't be able to change it. Essentially, physically changing the Radio hardware which is part of the SoC, which is part of the Motherboard is the only way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This.

Although they technically have the same radio hardware, the radio unit is "factory programmed" differently. We don't know if it is a physical configuration or a firmware one as there is no documentation about this... Which means even if it is firmware, we wouldn't be able to change it. Essentially, physically changing the Radio hardware which is part of the SoC, which is part of the Motherboard is the only way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk