[Q] I got a boot loop and almost bricked my phone and I don´t know why

Search This thread

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
Before continuing reading, please keep in mind that the problem I am asking support for was already solved for my own. What I want to know is how did it happen. For prevention, you know.

It all started when I flashed the Black Box ROM 2.0.2 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1834915) It flashed normally, without any problem. But, since it lacked the Xposed Framework, I installed it manually, downloading from its thread, and choosing a full install. Using the Framework I downloaded Gravity Box and the Youtube Adaway, before downloading Youtube. Since the modules needed a reboot to work, I rebooted. And this is when the bad things started to happen.

The ROM did not start. It went through the BlackBox logo, but when it appeared that the SIM unlock was going to pop up, then the phone turned off. This happened many times. So I decided to do a full wipe and install another ROM. The problem was that the phone didn´t allowed me to access the recovery.

I was using the PhilZ Touch 6, but when I pressed Volume up+Menu+Power it did not work. The only thing that worked was the Odin Menu, and I got stuck at it, I couldn´t get out the Odin Menu. So, seeing that the phone wasnt going to work anyways, I flashed a 4.3 stock ROM through Odin.

As I suspected, the ROM got stuck at boot, and got a bootloop. So then I flashed another recovery, and flashed good ol´ CWM. And It worked..for a while. The phone would shut down after some seconds. So then I tried to flash TWRP, but it lasted about one second and then the phone shut down again.

Since I was using Odin 3.03, I downloaded Odin 3-04 Moded Edition, from the Modem thread, and then reflashed CWM. In this time, it worked without failing, and I could do a full wipe and flashing an old Cyanogenmod 4.2.2 ROM, finally solving the problem. The day after I flashed Ultima ROM and at the moment it goes fine, without any problem. Which is weird, because it too uses Gravity Box and Xposed Modules. I even installed new modules, rebooted the phone and it works fine, without any problem.

What I want for the people here is that someone explains to me what happened, because the BlackBox ROM looked gorgeous and I wanted to give it a long try. And because I spent an entire night solving that problem, and well, I wont sleep in peace until I get to know what happened to that bastard :confused:

kunal1540

Jun 6, 2013
City of oranges
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Before continuing reading, please keep in mind that the problem I am asking support for was already solved for my own. What I want to know is how did it happen. For prevention, you know.

It all started when I flashed the Black Box ROM 2.0.2 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1834915) It flashed normally, without any problem. But, since it lacked the Xposed Framework, I installed it manually, downloading from its thread, and choosing a full install. Using the Framework I downloaded Gravity Box and the Youtube Adaway, before downloading Youtube. Since the modules needed a reboot to work, I rebooted. And this is when the bad things started to happen.

The ROM did not start. It went through the BlackBox logo, but when it appeared that the SIM unlock was going to pop up, then the phone turned off. This happened many times. So I decided to do a full wipe and install another ROM. The problem was that the phone didn´t allowed me to access the recovery.

I was using the PhilZ Touch 6, but when I pressed Volume up+Menu+Power it did not work. The only thing that worked was the Odin Menu, and I got stuck at it, I couldn´t get out the Odin Menu. So, seeing that the phone wasnt going to work anyways, I flashed a 4.3 stock ROM through Odin.

As I suspected, the ROM got stuck at boot, and got a bootloop. So then I flashed another recovery, and flashed good ol´ CWM. And It worked..for a while. The phone would shut down after some seconds. So then I tried to flash TWRP, but it lasted about one second and then the phone shut down again.

Since I was using Odin 3.03, I downloaded Odin 3-04 Moded Edition, from the Modem thread, and then reflashed CWM. In this time, it worked without failing, and I could do a full wipe and flashing an old Cyanogenmod 4.2.2 ROM, finally solving the problem. The day after I flashed Ultima ROM and at the moment it goes fine, without any problem. Which is weird, because it too uses Gravity Box and Xposed Modules. I even installed new modules, rebooted the phone and it works fine, without any problem.

What I want for the people here is that someone explains to me what happened, because the BlackBox ROM looked gorgeous and I wanted to give it a long try. And because I spent an entire night solving that problem, and well, I wont sleep in peace until I get to know what happened to that bastard :confused:

OK first black box already has xposed in ROM control settings.. so maybe because you manually installed it it may have caused conflicts... Don't know why you got a recovery bootloop... but maybe due to same problems... And I am also using blackbox 2.1 and so far it is fantastic...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: r1k1v1

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Partition structure on these phones is very fragile, one bad shutdown can corrupt one or more partitions at the same time. I'd suggest the combination of mods applied caused the kernel panic, while data was being written.

Subsequent events read like normal solution to corruption, it shouldn't happen again but best to apply framework mods one at a time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: r1k1v1 and Simonna

r1k1v1

Dec 1, 2013
OK first black box already has xposed in ROM control settings.. so maybe because you manually installed it it may have caused conflicts... Don't know why you got a recovery bootloop... but maybe due to same problems... And I am also using blackbox 2.1 and so far it is fantastic...

Hmm, I don´t remember that the BlackBox 2.0.2 had any Framework...thats why I did a manual installation. But I will try the new version 2.1. Hopefully the problems may have been solved.

Partition structure on these phones is very fragile, one bad shutdown can corrupt one or more partitions at the same time. I'd suggest the combination of mods applied caused the kernel panic, while data was being written.

Subsequent events read like normal solution to corruption, it shouldn't happen again but best to apply framework mods one at a time.

Interesting. So I have to apply mods one by one? Or can I add multiple mods because corruption has already been solved?

On a side note, when I boot the phone the red exclamation mark that used to appear has disappeared. Does that means that I somewhat reseted the flash counter to 0?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.