[Updated: 3/26]Easyroot + S-Off [Version 1.6.3.11]

Does this program work for you?

• Yes, flawlessly.

Votes: 86 24.7%
  • Yes, with a few bugs but good overall.

Votes: 173 49.7%
  • No, you need to fix it.

Votes: 89 25.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Basically if you can use adb from any command prompt regardless of directory I'd suggest using the one for adb being setup, but if you can't you need the other one (which apparently hates me because it works for some people and for some it doesn't).

I intend to post just the executable files soon but I need to recover the exe from MU as I only have the updated version. Once they're posted you don't need to download another 800MB file, just a small zip to replace the exe.

htowngator

Mar 31, 2008
Basically if you can use adb from any command prompt regardless of directory I'd suggest using the one for adb being setup, but if you can't you need the other one (which apparently hates me because it works for some people and for some it doesn't).

I intend to post just the executable files soon but I need to recover the exe from MU as I only have the updated version. Once they're posted you don't need to download another 800MB file, just a small zip to replace the exe.

Ah, I see. Yea mine won't work unless you call ADB from the platform-tools directory.

How do you get it to work from any directory?

Hemorrdroid

Apr 29, 2010
Ah, I see. Yea mine won't work unless you call ADB from the platform-tools directory.

How do you get it to work from any directory?

Found this:

Add the "ADB" directory path as a system variable in windows:

- To do this right-click on "My Computer" and select Properties. Next select the Advanced tab(Advanced Settings in Vista/7) then select Environment Variables.
- Click "New" under System Variables and add the following:

Code: Select all
Variable: adb
Value: C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

Link: http://androidsamurai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4&sid=8157e86decd48cdf89d9c667ad3d151e

Reactions: htowngator

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
@jawonder it comes with the necessary adb files, that's why there's a "no adb needed" version. It should call adb directly from the folder. If it doesn't simply setup adb as I mentioned and use the exe from the "adb needed" version.

@htowngator 1) you have a very confusing name @_@ 2) If you have it as c:\android-sdk-windows then you need to add ;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools to your PATH variable. here's how

XP:
Right-click my computer, click properties, move to the advanced tab
Vista/7:
Right-click Computer, click properties, click advanced system settings

click "Environment Variables", on the lower pane scroll down until you see "PATH", click it then click Edit, add your tools path to the end with a ; before it. From the example if your path already has %system%;%system32%;%windowsdir% after you add your path it will say %system%;%system32%;%windowsdir%;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools, click ok on all windows to close, log off then back on to reset the variables.

Reactions: Stevez48

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
literally hours ago I passed off my Dinc to a great friend of mine (I still miss it so much) bought my TB, and rooted by hand. And now this. I have a friend testing this on his TB though, so I'll report back for him. Thanks so much!

frodsteamin2

Oct 23, 2008
San Diego
Not sure it is just my connection but I downloaded the first file posted up adb needed in a couple mins but the more recent non-adb setup file is at about an hour download. anyone else?

and you put the exe files. nevermind. thanks

Last edited:

htowngator

Mar 31, 2008
Found this:

Add the "ADB" directory path as a system variable in windows:

- To do this right-click on "My Computer" and select Properties. Next select the Advanced tab(Advanced Settings in Vista/7) then select Environment Variables.
- Click "New" under System Variables and add the following:

Code: Select all
Variable: adb
Value: C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

Link: http://androidsamurai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4&sid=8157e86decd48cdf89d9c667ad3d151e
Excellent. Thank you.

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Does this flash back to the current software after downgrade for root and does it include the new SU fix as well?

I believe it goes to the old release (street date release) though you can always use your new clockwork to flash a bloat free version of the up to date one. AS for the su fix, what was it supposed to fix. I only have issues with remounting with Root Explorer, though I can do with gscript.

Stevez48

Sep 10, 2010
CT
I just got my TBolt, so not going to root just yet, but thank you very much for your and all who were involved's work. It's a huge bonus for people like me who don't have the knowledge or skill to figure this stuff out on their own.

It is truly appreciated that you share your work. Thank you.

htowngator

Mar 31, 2008
@htowngator 1) you have a very confusing name @_@ 2) If you have it as c:\android-sdk-windows then you need to add ;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools to your PATH variable. here's how

XP:
Right-click my computer, click properties, move to the advanced tab
Vista/7:
Right-click Computer, click properties, click advanced system settings

click "Environment Variables", on the lower pane scroll down until you see "PATH", click it then click Edit, add your tools path to the end with a ; before it. From the example if your path already has %system%;%system32%;%windowsdir% after you add your path it will say %system%;%system32%;%windowsdir%;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools, click ok on all windows to close, log off then back on to reset the variables.

1) lol, why's that?

2) Mine is in the x86 system tools directory so I just copied the entire thing -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools -- to the PATH and it works now. Thanks.

R1lover

Mar 13, 2010
Yuba City, CA
www.exactservers.com
I believe it goes to the old release (street date release) though you can always use your new clockwork to flash a bloat free version of the up to date one. AS for the su fix, what was it supposed to fix. I only have issues with remounting with Root Explorer, though I can do with gscript.

There was a fix to SU for the thunderbolt that was released, just wondering if this was included in this method or not.

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
The program itself tells you how to use it. The "bugs" are really the only extra instructions you may need.

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC

It should follow my tutorial exactly, as such have the same result.

PS

Anyone notice this is blasted EVERYWHERE! AndroidPolice, Droidlife, Androidcentral (etc etc)

That took a whole 5 minutes lol

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
All that means is I really have my work cut out for me if any bugs come up. Thankfully with the exes posted I only have to do minor tweaks and I don't have to re-upload more 800MB files, I just have to direct users to download the fixed exe if necessary.

CastorTroy45

Aug 26, 2010
ive tried all methods to get adb to work and no dice. htc sync wont see my phone either. adb used to work fine with my dinc. windows just says cannot find driver for adb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my easy-rooter for the Thunderbolt. I do not personally have a thunderbolt but I have tested it and fixed as many problems as I could. As far as I'm aware this will only work with firmware versions lower than version 1.12.605.9.
    If adb does not see your device try installing the htc sync drivers. If that doesn't wok install PDA.net. If it still does not register please post here. If you have a 64-bit version of windows replace the files in the rar with these

THIS IS A WINDOWS-ONLY PROGRAM. You must have windows or a windows VM to use this.

As always there is a small chance of bricking your phone.

DISCLAIMER: AndIRC is not affiliated with this program and by using it you agree that neither AndIRc nor myself is responsible for any damages caused by this program.

This provides all necessary files and gives you in-program instructions.

Please read this before using this.

Known bugs:

• Sometimes you need to redo step 3. If the phone does not reboot on its own simply press the step 3 button again.

Issues:

• The files take a long time to push. It could be anywhere from 3-10 minutes.
    • Once you have completed step one do not redo it for any reason! If it flashes only continue from step 2!

Credits:
    Team AndIRC - for developing the root method found here
    XDA - for giving me the chance to make programs like this
    me - for making it

Donations:
    Please donate to charity first and myself only if you want to. Please make donations in AndIRC's name as well as your own. You can donate here, to the Japan Relief Fund, or any other worthy charity.

since I just saw jcase's thing about my donation link (apparently I'm blind) here it is for those of you who wish to donate to me.

Downloads:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28H4U0QS

mirrors:

Instructions:
    For those of you who can't follow or understand the directions in the program here is a pdf with instructions.

For anyone having problems getting steps 1 and 2 to work the first time through here's something to try.
    lado44 said:
    Hey man, I'm new so can't post in dev forum.

Your method worked for me - one thing I found. It was hanging at step 1 like some folks have reported, pushing the files (could see .ZIP on SD card), but would fail to reboot. This happened several times with Fast Boot enable under Settings>Applications. When I unchecked Fast Boot and re-ran Step 1 it worked first try. Couldn't tell you why or if just coincidence, but might help others.

Cheers.

For those of you who are interested in how this method works, here's the explanation. I will be focusing on what the program does,not user interaction so much except where necessary.
    Push busybox, psneuter,and misc.img to /data/local/
    Push PG05IMG_downgrade.zip to /sdcard and rename to PG05IMG.zip
    chmod psneuter and busybox
    execute psneuter
    check the md5 hash of misc.img
    flash misc.img to /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 if the hash is c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de
    reboot into the bootloader
    press power to enter bootloader and flash PG05IMG.zip (done by user)
    once back in android:
    remove PG05IMG.zip
    push busybox, psneuter, and wpthis to /data/local
    chmod all 3 files
    run psneuter
    run wpthis
    push the engineering hboot(hbooteng.nb0) to /data/local/
    check the md5 of the hboot file (it should be 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb)
    if it is flash hbooteng.nb0 to /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    push the PG05IMG.zip file to /sdcard
    reboot into the bootloader
    again press power and flash PG05IMG.zip (done by user)
    push su, busybox, and psneuter to /data/local
    chmod psneuter and busybox
    run psneuter
    mount /system as read/write (rw)
    copy su to /system/xbin/su
    chown and chmod su
    install superuser and RomManager
    I do recommend learning ADB as it is quite helpful but I realize that for some people that is a daunting task at first glance. I remember being a n00b and this will allow you to fully utilize your phone while still learning at your own pace on the side.

I am attaching just the updated exe.
    so confused. so many questions...

i dont know adb or have it so which file do i download?
    Descriptions are a little vague, to me. YGA7K9GM or BQUA990B ?

where do i put the files?
    once, i put the file in its designated place, what then?
    do i unzip something? run something?

do i have to be in debug mode?
    how long must one wait for files to be pushed?
    (i tried earlier and the damn things was at Pushing Files for a good 30 minutes and nothing. had to kill it.)

thx in advance:D

Since you are new... FIRST READ THROUGH ALL 30 something pages of posts on this so you can see where people are having the most trouble and you can hopefully avoid it. Then reread the OP, after that... Here is the initial phone/file setup.

If you dont have ADB installed ---------->>>>

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YGA7K9GM

mirrors:
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/ca4d...rbolt_Root.rar
    http://d01.megashares.com/dl/ecb4348/Thunderbolt Root.rar

You need to download ONE of the above files. Once it's finished downloading, EXTRACT ALL THE FILES into a folder on your C:\ drive or a folder on your desktop.

If you HAVE ADB INSTALLED -------------->

Download this file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BQUA990B

Once it's finished downloading, EXTRACT all the files into a folder on your C:\ drive or a folder on your desktop.

2. Enable USB Debugging On Your Phone
    Step A

Launch the Settings app on your phone. This can be found in your App Drawer, or by Pressing the menu button on the outside of your device.

launch settings app or from settings button after you tap your menu button on the bottom of your screen.

Step B

Tap Applications.

Android Applications Settings
    Step C

Tap Development.

Android Development Applications Settings
    Step D

Check the box for USB debugging.*

Your phone should now be in Debug Mode, if you go into the notification bar you’ll find an Ongoing alert stating USB debugging connected. Remember how to do this, you will have to turn this on multiple times throughout this process.

3. Go to the folder you placed the extracted files to and click on the ' Rooter.exe ' File. Follow the instructions to a T that are posted in the OP.

***If you cant get your phone to be seen by the program. Try downloading the htcsync program and running it to install the drivers. You can find it on HTC's website or at this mirror. http://www.filefactory.com/file/ca4e6e5/n/setup_3.0.5511.exe . Then unplug (if you had it plugged in during installation) and plug back in your phone. It should say something about installing drivers, if that finishes okay then you are one step closer. :) If it doesnt work after installing sync, you may have to install PDANet but i dont know where you need to get that from or why it would have drivers that HTC's program wouldnt. I would just try restarting the computer after installing the htc sync first before i tried any other programs. You can also try plugging your phone into a different usb port.***
    Well I'm not home and I won't be for a few hours but I did get a job.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA Premium App
    One of the conditions for release was that I explain what happend. Hope this helps people out.
    Yes, it's exactly the same method, just automated to make things easier.