[MOD] BIOS Boot Animation - Now for CM 7 too!

Search This thread

VolcanicSkunk

Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
As usual, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone.

Requirements:
Rooted myTouch 4G
Android 2.2/2.3
Fingers
Brain
Root Explorer (or similar)

I had a request for a BIOS style boot animation in my splash screen thread. So here is what came up with. I used two different style animations as my base. The first came from frysee, whose N1 BIOS this was modified from. The other came from jeckyll. I used the same style as his animation for the HD2. Both have minor differences from the originals and of course they have the specs from our phones.* These are also very generalized so they can be used with any 2.2 ROM. Enjoy! :)

Instructions Android 2.2:
Copy/download the animation's zip to your SD card
Open Root Explorer
Rename the file to TMUS_bootanimation.zip (Only for stock/iced glacier. Name may change for other roms. CM 6 it should be bootanimation.zip)
Copy the animation to /system/customize/resources (don't forget to mount the resources folder as r/w before copying)
Done!

Instructions CM 7:
Open Root Explorer
Copy the animation from your SD card to /system/media/ (don't forget to mount the media folder as r/w before copying)
Done!

Instructions for copying with Android Commander by neidlinger (see original post here / pictures are in original post)
Five easy steps using "Android Commander" Source for Android Commander

Pre-reqs
1: phone
2: drivers to connect your phone to your computer
3: Android Commander
4: brains and the ability to follow directions

1: open Android Commander and make sure you have Root Access, Bottom left corner.

2: Navigate to the target folder, you can use the address bar below the window to get there quickly. IE Gingerbread you'd type in "/system/media/"and it will take you directly to that folder.

3: delete the bootanimation

4: Push the bootanimation to that folder

5: use adb shell to check for animation.

my pictures below are for Gingerbread.

if you screw up your phone, it's your fault.

You can test your animation by opening a command window and typing
adb shell
bootanimation
exit with Ctrl+C
(This can also be done through the terminal emulator, though I'm not sure how to exit. I tried it and had to use adb to reboot. So I don't recommend doing it this way! :D)

Also, with the second animation, there was a request for a splash screen that said loading. That is included here as well. Instructions for
flashing can be found in my thread for custom splash screens.

There is also a new splash screen that matches the CM 7 animation. Instructions to flash are the same.

Thanks to jayizzbakk for being my guinea pig for the Android 2.2 animations!
And thanks to macheteZen for all his input and testing for the CM 7 animation!

Downloads are available in the next post.

*If there are any mistakes on the specs of the phone, please let me know!!! I will gladly modify these that way they are perfect!

Attachments

• biossplash.jpg
    biossplash.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 00120.jpg
    00120.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,234
  • newbiossplash.jpg
    newbiossplash.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,084
Last edited:

VolcanicSkunk

Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
Here are the downloads.

The boot animation for CM 7 is named bootanimation.zip
CM7BIOSLoad.img is a splash screen for the CM7 animation.

All others are for Android 2.2

Attachments

• mytouchbiosstyle1.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 850
  • mytouchBIOSstyle1NoAndroid.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 496
  • mytouchBIOSstyle2withSplash.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,071
  • bootanimation.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 816
  • cm7biosload.zip
    750.1 KB · Views: 848
Last edited:
Reactions: fh47qu

VolcanicSkunk

Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
You using CM7?

Sent from my Senseless Iced Glacier

Edit: It looks like you should just have to name it bootanimation.zip. Then copy/push it to /system/media. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
You using CM7?

Sent from my Senseless Iced Glacier

Edit: It looks like you should just have to name it bootanimation.zip. Then copy/push it to /system/media. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

I am using CM6.1.2RC2.

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Edit : Worked like a flipping charm.

Last edited:

kitsunisan

Jan 2, 2009
Lol, very nice, you just beat me to this. I downloaded the N1 bios boot last night and was going to edit tonight. I may still do it to get Ice Glacier in there eventually. Thanks for getting this up.

Kline

Mar 5, 2009
Illinois
Awesome stuff, thanks! I usually never care about the small details like boot anims, but this one is sweet :D

xXy3kXx

Apr 27, 2010
Rochester Hills
How to mount the resource folder as r/w before copying??

OoOP I FOUND OUT!! Damn thoes bong rips are slowing me down! lol

Last edited:

jdwash11

Feb 6, 2009
for anyone that can't mount the resource folder as r/w

Code:
go into terminal emulator type
su
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

btw, thanks...these are dope!

VolcanicSkunk

Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
It is a little bit of a process, but I am more than happy to explain it to you! PM me the times you have available in the next couple of days and we can work out a time to get together on tinychat or something so I can explain it.

VolcanicSkunk

Apr 6, 2010
Ohio
I took a class in high school where I learned very basic use of Photoshop. The boot animations here require very little knowledge of Photoshop. My proficiency with Photoshop is pretty low, I really don't have much experience with it.

Reactions: castuis and jjlean

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As usual, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone.

Requirements:
    Rooted myTouch 4G
    Android 2.2/2.3
    Fingers
    Brain
    Root Explorer (or similar)

I had a request for a BIOS style boot animation in my splash screen thread. So here is what came up with. I used two different style animations as my base. The first came from frysee, whose N1 BIOS this was modified from. The other came from jeckyll. I used the same style as his animation for the HD2. Both have minor differences from the originals and of course they have the specs from our phones.* These are also very generalized so they can be used with any 2.2 ROM. Enjoy! :)

Instructions Android 2.2:
    Open Root Explorer
    Rename the file to TMUS_bootanimation.zip (Only for stock/iced glacier. Name may change for other roms. CM 6 it should be bootanimation.zip)
    Copy the animation to /system/customize/resources (don't forget to mount the resources folder as r/w before copying)
    Done!

Instructions CM 7:
    Open Root Explorer
    Copy the animation from your SD card to /system/media/ (don't forget to mount the media folder as r/w before copying)
    Done!

Instructions for copying with Android Commander by neidlinger (see original post here / pictures are in original post)
    Five easy steps using "Android Commander" Source for Android Commander

Pre-reqs
    1: phone
    2: drivers to connect your phone to your computer
    3: Android Commander
    4: brains and the ability to follow directions

1: open Android Commander and make sure you have Root Access, Bottom left corner.

2: Navigate to the target folder, you can use the address bar below the window to get there quickly. IE Gingerbread you'd type in "/system/media/"and it will take you directly to that folder.

3: delete the bootanimation

4: Push the bootanimation to that folder

5: use adb shell to check for animation.

my pictures below are for Gingerbread.

if you screw up your phone, it's your fault.

You can test your animation by opening a command window and typing
    adb shell
    bootanimation
    exit with Ctrl+C
    (This can also be done through the terminal emulator, though I'm not sure how to exit. I tried it and had to use adb to reboot. So I don't recommend doing it this way! :D)

Also, with the second animation, there was a request for a splash screen that said loading. That is included here as well. Instructions for
    flashing can be found in my thread for custom splash screens.

There is also a new splash screen that matches the CM 7 animation. Instructions to flash are the same.

Thanks to jayizzbakk for being my guinea pig for the Android 2.2 animations!
    And thanks to macheteZen for all his input and testing for the CM 7 animation!

Downloads are available in the next post.

*If there are any mistakes on the specs of the phone, please let me know!!! I will gladly modify these that way they are perfect!
    I took a class in high school where I learned very basic use of Photoshop. The boot animations here require very little knowledge of Photoshop. My proficiency with Photoshop is pretty low, I really don't have much experience with it.
    Here are the downloads.

The boot animation for CM 7 is named bootanimation.zip
    CM7BIOSLoad.img is a splash screen for the CM7 animation.

All others are for Android 2.2
    Another great guide! Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App
    Absolutely! :D Give me few minutes.

EDIT: Okay, so it didn't even take me that long. :D Here you go! Same instructions to flash as any other splash screen by me.