Increase Internal Memory of our phone - step by step guide

Search This thread

vijayar

Oct 2, 2011
Bangalore
Thought I will share this simple and very effective method with all folks, I guess some of you might have known this method, I am sure there are other ways (via CWM which I tried few months back and ended up wiping my SD card data :crying:), but I could'nt find a simpler guide like this one for "learner' like me :)

No need to delete any of your existing favourite apps to carve out space for a new one.No running out of memory issues.

All you need to have is:
  • A SD card of sufficient capacity (preferably,class 4 or higher)
  • A rooted phone
  • SD card reader (you can do the steps below with the SD card in the phone connected via USB)
  • A PC running Windows

BACK UP YOUR CONTENTS ON THE SD CARD TO A SAFE LOCATION IN CASE YOU NEED TO REVERT AGAIN. THE SD CARD WILL BE FORMATTED DURING THE PROCESS. NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP AND LOSE YOUR DATA !!!

Now follow these steps..

1. First of all,you have to partition your SD card.To do this,first search (via google on your PC) download & install Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
  2. Connect your SD card to the pc (via a card reader/via phone).Your pc and the wizard will detect the sd card.
  3. In the Mini Tool Partition Wizard,right click on your SD card and select delete. Take care that you do not mess with any other hard drive or partition on your PC and select only the SD card
  4. Now,you will have whole of the space on your sd card as unallocated.
  5. Right click on it and select create.
  6. A popup will open,in that box,select the partition as primary,file system as FAT (if your sd card is below 4GB) or FAT32 (if your sd card is of more than 4GB capacity).
  7. You can size any amount of the SD card for this partition ; this will be the SD card space in which you eill eventually store your music, photos etc. Make sure you leave about 512 MB or more space (upto 1Gb is good enough) for the next partition.
  8. Select done.
  9. Right click on the unallocated space and again click create.This time too,select Primary but change the file system to Ext2,Ext3 or Ext4 (Ext2 is recommended as most ROMs work fine with it)
  10. Click apply changes and the process will take a few minutes, let it complete.
  11. After it is done, search for link2sd on Google play and install the app on your device.
  12. On the first launch, it will ask for root permissions and then, will ask you the file system of the Ext partition, choose the Ext partition that you created, accordingly.
  13. Sort the apps according to size, do a multi-select and start linking them and voila, you can now Install more and more apps without filling your phone memory, thus the internal memory of your phone is increased to the size of the ext partition you create. Once done reboot the phone and enjoy using normally
  14. Use common sense and move only apps that you have downloaded and installed, not system apps, launcher themes etc which are very much required in the phone memory

In link2sd settings select auto link for any new apps that you will install, in future.
Another super benefit ! When you turn USB storage on, all the apps on your sd will keep working and so well be the widgets :)
This method should work for all phones.

Enjoy !!!...:cowboy:

Many Thanks to Gaurav Gayhlan for the method posted in Droidiser

whyzee

Oct 15, 2011
Chennai
Thought I will share this simple and very effective method with all folks, I guess some of you might.........................................................
nice how-to mate. But may I suggest changing the title to something like "How to link2sd or install app on sd card"? I opened this thread thinking it was an how to increase the size of the /data partition :)

Reactions: zailer

vijayar

Oct 2, 2011
Bangalore
nice how-to mate. But may I suggest changing the title to something like "How to link2sd or install app on sd card"? I opened this thread thinking it was an how to increase the size of the /data partition :)

Thanks for the suggestion; I went with a simple title that people will normally use to search on Google or on this forum w.r.t this subject....like how I searched :)...
But again this method is all about increasing space for the /data partition using sd-ext !

Last edited:

deathbearer

Apr 5, 2011
Thought I will share this simple and very effective method with all folks, I guess some of you might have known this method, I am sure there are other ways (via CWM which I tried few months back and ended up wiping my SD card data :crying:), but I could'nt find a simpler guide like this one for "learner' like me :)

No need to delete any of your existing favourite apps to carve out space for a new one.No running out of memory issues.

All you need to have is:
  • A rooted phone
  • SD card reader (you can do the steps below with the SD card in the phone connected via USB)
  • A PC running Windows

BACK UP YOUR CONTENTS ON THE SD CARD TO A SAFE LOCATION IN CASE YOU NEED TO REVERT AGAIN. THE SD CARD WILL BE FORMATTED DURING THE PROCESS. NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP AND LOSE YOUR DATA !!!

Now follow these steps..

1. First of all,you have to partition your SD card.To do this,first search (via google on your PC) download & install Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
  2. Connect your SD card to the pc (via a card reader/via phone).Your pc and the wizard will detect the sd card.
  3. In the Mini Tool Partition Wizard,right click on your SD card and select delete. Take care that you do not mess with any other hard drive or partition on your PC and select only the SD card
  6. A popup will open,in that box,select the partition as primary,file system as FAT (if your sd card is below 4GB) or FAT32 (if your sd card is of more than 4GB capacity).
  7. You can size any amount of the SD card for this partition ; this will be the SD card space in which you eill eventually store your music, photos etc. Make sure you leave about 512 MB or more space (upto 1Gb is good enough) for the next partition.
  8. Select done.
  9. Right click on the unallocated space and again click create.This time too,select Primary but change the file system to Ext2,Ext3 or Ext4 (Ext2 is recommended as most ROMs work fine with it)
  10. Click apply changes and the process will take a few minutes, let it complete.
  11. After it is done, search for link2sd on Google play and install the app on your device.
  12. On the first launch, it will ask for root permissions and then, will ask you the file system of the Ext partition, choose the Ext partition that you created, accordingly.
  13. Sort the apps according to size, do a multi-select and start linking them and voila, you can now Install more and more apps without filling your phone memory, thus the internal memory of your phone is increased to the size of the ext partition you create. Once done reboot the phone and enjoy using normally
  14. Use common sense and move only apps that you have downloaded and installed, not system apps, launcher themes etc which are very much required in the phone memory

In link2sd settings select auto link for any new apps that you will install, in future.
Another super benefit ! When you turn USB storage on, all the apps on your sd will keep working and so well be the widgets :)

Very informative buddy should have posted this when i had samsung spica with its internal memory of just 170 mbs :eek:

gr8 job! keep posting more

h4ni

Jun 28, 2009
Casablanca
great guide

thanks a lot mn for your excellent guide

All you need to have is:
  • A rooted phone
  • A PC running Windows

Now follow these steps..

8. Select done.

Sab95

Jun 14, 2013
Help please !!!!

I followed the above procedure and now i have linked to my partition to link2sd app.. when i connect my mobile to my PC it is not detecting the FAT32 partition..it opens the formatting dialog box .. How am i supposed to transfer data from system to my mobile.. PLSSS HELP ME... !!

ashraf fahmy

Nov 21, 2013
about increase memory phone

i did this method and apps installed in my sd card really but also any app i download it from google play takes a space on my internel storage:crying:

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

i did this method and apps installed in my sd card really but also any app i download it from google play takes a space on my internel storage:crying:

my words mean that for example i downloaded viber and before i download this program i went to see my internal storage i found it 25m.b. free on my internal storage and after i downloaded this program"viber" i opened link2sd i found it in my sd card and a lso opened my internal storage i found it became 19m.b. and i cant download a lot of apps because my internal storage of my phone became little so yr method cant benifit me. so what can i do to stop apps to take a space on my internal torage?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

All you need to have is:
    • A rooted phone
    • A PC running Windows

Now follow these steps..

8. Select done.

Thought I will share this simple and very effective method with all folks, I guess some of you might.........................................................