[APP][26-Oct-2010]SpeedoPhone 1.31 - a GPS speedometer for WM with a WP7-like UI

Search This thread

savrix85

Being aware of your own speed can always come in handy, whether you want to avoid breaking limits, to verify your vehicle’s performance, your own, or just out of plain curiosity.
So here comes my latest creation, SpeedoPhone updated to the release 1.31.

If you have a WM device with GPS and you want to keep your speed under control, SpeedoPhone is what you need. You can use it when you’re on foot, in your car, on a train, on a plane, on boat or wherever you like.

The app has a Windows Phone 7 look, nice, user friendly and pleasing to the eye; as for the possibilities and information it has to offer, here's what we've got.

The first steps are the same as always: download the cab from the link at the bottom of the page, install it on your device, open it and you’ll get to the home page.
76161744235481302372.png
28919228383395657895.png
It's simple and intuitive. The app will automatically get the GPS running upon loading, but it's possible to switch it on and off manually with the GPS button. Once the phone has found and fixed enough satellites to work with, the START button will be enabled. Click on it to start your record.

I hope you'll find this app useful and that you'll enjoy working with it. It's available for free, but, as usual, if you'd like to say thanks a coffee would be nice.

in Euros
in Dollars

For a detailed description go to the second post.
It's available in Italian, English and French.
Click on the image below to go to the download page

Thanks to Albator V for the French translation

Donations. Thanks to:
C.D. 2$
Ross202 5$
DarkAngel 2$

Last edited:

savrix85

Description

The first data available on the screen is the instantaneous speed, with Km/h as default measure unit. You can change it to miles per hour (Mph) or knots (Kn) by tapping on it.

The app will also give you information on the distance you've covered, the average speed you’ve kept, the highest speed you’ve reached, how much time has passed, and - if you select the cost-per-kilometer option - how much it is so far.

Select the
68106240216427822146.png
button to keep alive the device, so not to let it go on stand by and have it automatically disable the GPS. The
09903594688184482870.png
button, on the other hand, will activate the full screen option that further on we'll examine more in detail.
Let’s now see the option menu instead, accessible via the
94368664506285746646.png
button.

From there, it's possible set a series of controls to keep your speed under check. By specifying a maximum value for the instantaneous and/or average speed, exceeding that limit will cause the speed indicator to turn red and a sound signal to go off. If you'd like the app to work as a kind of taximeter, or if you want to know how much your travel is costing you, you can set a cost per kilometer. You can also specify how precise you want the instantaneous speed to be: an integer, a one- or a two-figure decimal. When the fullscreen mode is on we are also shown a series of buttons, showing different speeds, to switch quickly between the limits more common to us. And, last but not least, you can have the app record a log with the data of your travel. The app will remember our favorite settings also on each following use.

Here, the menu where it's possible to select which limits to show on the fullscreen mode.

Once we’ve got back to the home page, clicking the
59014690772215580257.png
button will take us to a screen with more specific information, this time relative to the GPS signal. That means that we will be able to see how many satellites the device is able to detect, how many it has fixed, what is the current dilution of precision of the GPS, our altitude, latitude and longitude.

Let's now see aspect and functions of the Landscape mode, activated by rotating the device.

The home page is fairly close to the one we've already seen, except for the slightly different layout of the buttons. Tap on
09903594688184482870.png
to activate the full-screen (also available in Portrait): since there are times when a lot of information is too much, and rather than being a help it just hinders us, on here you will only see the instantaneous speed, displayed as an integer and with a much bigger font, so to be clear and immediate.

We'll find the Keep Alive button on there as well; as for the unit of measure, again, if you want to change it you only need to tap on it. In order to be aware if the device is working or not, if the GPS signal is strong enough to work with you'll see the
23721956428328465086.png
icon appear on screen. And, at the bottom, the buttons to switch between preset limits.
With the 1.2 release some improvements have been made to the HUD mode. Accessible via the
96171383603222207256.png
button, it will show a mirrored version of the regular display. Why that? Try and put your device on the dashboard, you'll get to see your speed projected on the windshield.

Last edited:

savrix85

Changelog

v1.31
* now possible to switch off the warning beep
* added trip-start time to the log
* added about page

v1.3
* fixed landscape bug on some devices
* fixed bug that didn't let the maximum speed get updated while in fullscreen
* added sound signal when exceeding the speed limit
* now displays the duration of the trip on the home page
* added the option to create a log file of the trip
* possibility to increase and decrease the values also by tapping and holdin on + and -
* fixed minor bugs

v1.2
* new option to switch quickly between pre-set speed limits, via onscreen buttons
* completely rewritten the code for both fullscreen and HUD mode; now the HUD uses much less RAM than before
* bigger font in fullscreen mode
* numbers rotated also of 180 degrees in the HUD mode (now you can have your phone with the bottom facing you)
* fixed the bug that didn't let the phone store the last settings, is entered from the keyboard
* some code optimizations
* fixed minor bugs

v1.11
* fixed minor bugs.

v1.1
* added the HUD option (mirrored numbers) when in fullscreen mode.
* increased slightly the dimension of the font on the pages with info and settings.

v1.0
* Initial release

Last edited:

davidm2

Mar 21, 2008
HUD

Hi,

could you implement (in fullscreen mode) the "HUD" mode? that means informations are displayed "mirrored", and then you can put device on dashboard of a car - under windshield. Then all is displayed at glass - looks terrific :)

It would be great improvement.

Thanks

D.

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
That is looking amazing savrix85. Simple in use. Well i will check can i change the icon more to CHT and possible white and black GTX. I will publish the first screenshots here...

EDIT 1:
What not so nice is, i can' t change the graphics.
Only the lamp on/off png.
Is there the posibillity in the future?

Last edited:

savrix85

Hi,

could you implement (in fullscreen mode) the "HUD" mode? that means informations are displayed "mirrored", and then you can put device on dashboard of a car - under windshield. Then all is displayed at glass - looks terrific :)

It would be great improvement.

Thanks

D.

Yes, I'm working on it ;)

Thanks fro sharing. Nice work. Ill buy you a coffee.

Thanks mate

That is looking amazing savrix85. Simple in use. Well i will check can i change the icon more to CHT and possible white and black GTX. I will publish the first screenshots here...

EDIT 1:
What not so nice is, i can' t change the graphics.
Only the lamp on/off png.
Is there the posibillity in the future?

Hi mike2nl, I would like to make the app skinnable, but it's not a priority. Now I'm working on the HUD

option, but the skinnig is in the plans

Thanks for your time and effort, looks nice

Thanks

gnomuss

Nov 29, 2009
nice app
the ui is simple and clean just how i love it.
just tested it on a walk outside. worked pretty good after it took some seconds to find the sattelites :D

Max_Terrible

Jun 10, 2009
Really fantastic application!

Out of all the other similar applications that I've tried, this one actually works, and works great at it.

I have some suggestions, if it's not a problem:
I would like to see a logging feature to keep records.
What I'd also like is if it showed the "trip" start/end times and a total duration from when you tap on "start" and when you tap "stop" which could also be included in the log.

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht

Hi savrix85,

i have tested the app yesterday on my way at home and today in the morning on way to the office. Cool..to say it in one word. Simply to use and the right information. The app does what you have say.

Future request:
- possibillty to mirror the view to put the phone on the dash board in the car
- please remove the mondomobile.altervista.org from main to settings -> about screen. Because now it looks no longer clean and nice. I understand that you wil show the author, but every coder do this in about. Only an idea ;);)
- +1 for this from Max_Terrible
I would like to see a logging feature to keep records.
What I'd also like is if it showed the "trip" start/end times and a total duration from when you tap on "start" and when you tap "stop" which could also be included in the log.

Your app is one of the simplest and cleanest apps i have seen here on XDA. No schnick-schnack only clean. The balck and white contrast is very good for our old eyes :D. I will use the version i have downloaded yesterday, because it is clean on main and it is working. Thanks for sharing this fine app.

Last edited:

Ross202

May 17, 2008
Sydney
Really, nice App. Like someone else said, it actually works!!!

As an older user with, sadly, poorer eyesight, it would be nice to be able to make the font even bigger. Another thought would be the ability to set multiple speed points with the colour changing at the different points, eg the various speed limits 50kph, 60kph, 80kph, 100kph etc.

Once again, thanks for a useful app. Works well on my HD2:)

savrix85

I've released SpeedoPhone 1.1. You can see the changelog in the third post.

Now the app is also available at the XDA Market.

Future request:
1. possibillty to mirror the view to put the phone on the dash board in the car
2. please remove the mondomobile.altervista.org from main to settings -> about screen. Because now it looks no longer clean and nice. I understand that you wil show the author, but every coder do this in about. Only an idea
3. +1 for this from Max_Terrible: "I would like to see a logging feature to keep records. What I'd also like is if it showed the "trip" start/end times and a total duration from when you tap on "start" and when you tap "stop" which could also be included in the log."
4. Ross202 "make the font even bigger"
5. Ross202 "set multiple speed points with the colour changing at the different points"

1. DONE! It's in the 1.1 release.
2. Yeah, that was temporary to begin with. I have some ideas for the "about" section, in fact... but it's one of those things that gets postponed as long as there are features I have more fun working on ;)
3. added to the to do list!
4. I've increased slightly the dimension of the font on the pages with info and settings, but I couldn't do more than that.
5. I'd prefer not to implement that one, but a feature that I'd like to work on is the possibility to set quickly a set of standard speed limits (50kph, 60kph, etc) just by tapping on a button.

Albator V

Mar 21, 2009
Near Paris
Hi, first of all, many thanks for this cool app.

Ii notice this glitch and bad translation on the last release (see capture)...

And now some request :
-add altitude to dashboard and fullscreen
-add button to settings to open your homepage (with default browser not IE with the donate button)
-Improve the HUD quality button
-are you interresting by french translation ?

Attachments

• speedophone.jpg
    speedophone.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 48

savrix85

Hi, first of all, many thanks for this cool app.

Ii notice this glitch and bad translation on the last release (see capture)...

And now some request :
-add altitude to dashboard and fullscreen
-add button to settings to open your homepage (with default browser not IE with the donate button)
-Improve the HUD quality button
-are you interresting by french translation ?

Bugs fixed in the 1.11 release, thanks for reporting them.

now your request:
-I've to say no to this cause I would leave the fullscreen as clean as possible and in the dashboard, in non-wide devices, there's no more space to add info.
-I've used IE cause using the default browser, Opera in my case, gives me an error when it tries to open the link. If I'll find the right solution, I'll make it.
-what do you mean? the HUD button shows "blurred" or simply you don't like it? :p
-yes, I'm interested. I'll PM you for this ;)

is 1.1 available in english? looks cool

I've released the 1.11. It fixes the bugs mentioned by Albator and some minor others

Albator V

Mar 21, 2009
Near Paris
Problem with the new HUD mode.I have always a big 0,not center, km/h missing... Miss something ?
And for button quality, i like it but but it's glow (up, down, right, left) around circle.

Attachments

• Screen001.jpg
    Screen001.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

savrix85

I've made a little mistake in the HUD code, now it should be ok ;)
In the HUD mode the mirrored speed is aligned to the left cause you can see it aligned to the right in your windshield. It's not centered cause I had to do that with images to combine to show the mirrored speed. When I'll find a more elegant way to do that, I believe it will be centered.

Km/h misses cause I didn't want to mirror it.

If you download it again, the glow around the circle shouldn't be there any longer

Last edited: