[Important] USB OTG / USB2Go - host mode for Nexus 4?

Search This thread

saiknaram

Oct 6, 2008
Hello fellow xda developers: Do you know if it is a good idea to put on a boost regulator on the AVDD33OUT signal from the ANX7808
Slimport Tx block? If slimport passes USB host connections, then the boost regulator should be able to boost to 5V out and allow otg, no?

Please correct me if I went wrong somewhere. Thanks! :)

Reactions: VehicrossPC

ackliph

Jan 19, 2010
Little Rock
I have fought hard via BBB to get Google to do something about this since day one... I FINALLY have a solution...

I e-mailed them a copy of the original help documents that showed that using USB peripherals was possible.
He apologized and said the only thing they could do was take it back. This time WITHOUT a return fee for being opened.

It's been a good run you guys. But T-Mobile service is too limited around here to have only 8GB. And Straight Talk will kick you for watching videos. So alas I bid you all adieu as I take my leave to the Samsung threads where people know what salsa should taste like, I mean know how we want phones designed. :p

kyoxone

Jul 10, 2012
Then, Nexus 4 dont have USB Otg for the voltage or is a problem with the firmware? If is for the voltage i wont buy this movile and i will wait for nexus 5. A device with 8/16GB and without USB otg will got a lot of problem of memory

CaptainMuon

Feb 3, 2013
Then, Nexus 4 dont have USB Otg for the voltage or is a problem with the firmware?

Its both. Software:

• CONFIG_USB_OTG is turned of in the kernel, and it seems to me you can't easily turn it on. (Looks like the slimport integration was hastily done. Some parts of the USB support have been updated to a more recent version, but code that's only used for OTG hasn't, and now it doesn't compile.)
  • This commit removed some other neccessary parts for USB OTG support.

Hardware: The comment in the link above says that the device can't supply 5V, so there probably really is a hardware problem. However, it might work with a new kernel and a Y cable, or even without a Y cable but only for certain devices. Too early to say.

If is for the voltage i wont buy this movile and i will wait for nexus 5. A device with 8/16GB and without USB otg will got a lot of problem of memory
If USB OTG is important for you, I wouldn't buy right now. You can never know if it will work or not. (I've got the 16 GB for a couple of days and found that it's plenty of space for me.)

thanostsimo

Sep 29, 2012
Dundee
no MHL support. no OTG support. FOR WHAT ?! this is pretty serious over here. doesn't make actually sense because Galaxy Nexus has both. what to say.. :confused:

Oct 30, 2010
Jakarta
it does

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Almost shocked with joy. Then I did some digging.
Nexus Media Importer allows copying and/or streaming from a USB connected device via an OTG cable without rooting.

Nexus Media Importer will be evolving rapidly. Please be patient as new features are implemented over time. Many of the features I intend to implement will be ambitious and challenging, not all will be smooth. Again I ask for your patience. This faq will be updated as changes are implemented.
Which Android Devices Work?
Works: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom, Sony Xperia (Models P and S)
Works with conflict: Samsung S3, Archos G9 (me)
Does Not Work: Toshiba Thrive, Nexus S, Nexus 4
Reported Not Working: HTC One X (several)

Nexus 4: The Nexus 4 does not support OTG and USB Host. Without this, Nexus Media Importer will not work. Please Google "Nexus 4 OTG" for more information.
Silly me.. :rolleyes:

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
I've heard of people using the Nexus Media Importer on the Nexus 4 though :S I'm sure I saw someone on YouTube too!

Looks like OTG is out of the question then.

thesavvymage

Sep 17, 2012
Ah well, I have given up hope. The non-removable battery isnt an issue to me. Lack of LTE is not an issue. All I really wanted was either a mSD slot, or usb OTG. Oh well, maybe the next nexus will deliver the OTG capabilities. With the price of the Nexus line, it isnt so hard to upgrade every year. when 2013's nexus comes out (if there is one) the n4 will probably still sell for 200+ on ebay.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Ah well, I have given up hope. The non-removable battery isnt an issue to me. Lack of LTE is not an issue. All I really wanted was either a mSD slot, or usb OTG. Oh well, maybe the next nexus will deliver the OTG capabilities. With the price of the Nexus line, it isnt so hard to upgrade every year. when 2013's nexus comes out (if there is one) the n4 will probably still sell for 200+ on ebay.

Very true!

crazzzik

Feb 16, 2011
..Feel free to shell 200-300$ more on a device that supports those, and have fun hoping you'll get updates!

Wires are SO 2012, dude!

Get a Qi charger, a Miracast adapter, a Bluetooth mice, keyboard, and game controllers .. and maybe some unlimited data connection!!! :laugh:

That will run you about $300-400 + a backpack full of batteries. Oh, and what about extra memory?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Answer from google

Just got off of a long call with customer support. I pressed the issue until I got a firm answer. I was told that usb otg will be fixed and that it is a software issue. The rep stated that that was definitive and that they had just acknowledged the issue in the last 24 hours.
    It appears to be a firmware issue, and the device *should* support it, according to somebody inside Google (not an official statement).

If you want to get OTG support on the Nexus 4 fixed, please star the bugreport here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40087&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars
    using a OTG y cable is just completely un-convenient.

Plus I don't want to be on a plane and have to pull out a multitude of devices and wires to consume my media and the guy next to me is worried for his life because it looks like I'm putting together an explosive.
    Hi all...just a few comments to make on all of this.

The USB host capabilities are part of the Qualcomm processor/chipset. The ones in the N4 support USB host mode.

Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064: https://developer.qualcomm.com/discover/chipsets-and-modems/snapdragon

The spec sheet lists USB OTG, but the way N4 is setup, it does not technically support OTG. I made a post not to long ago on a similar thread about USB OTG/host: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33618150#post33618150 and I mention that in order to be considered USB OTG (per the USB Consortium), the connector used needs to be of the type AB (micro AB) and if I remember correctly, charging is not allowed through the connector. I reference the Nokia N810 and N900 as examples of this...N810 was an actual USB OTG device because it had USB micro AB port and had separate charging jack. In order for USB host mode to work on N810 you needed an A type micro USB cable/dongle. The A type cables have an extra pin tied to ground (or something like that) and when plugging into device, it would automatically know to be a host versus a slave. But, there was a way to use a type B cable/dongle (what N4 and most every other phone/tablet has) for host mode purposes...but there was a software command that had to be run first before doing so.

So, what I'm getting at is N4 is technically not an OTG device, but the hardware does support USB host capabilities and it might be possible to enable the capabilities in software (either through a command, most likely at root level, or worst case, a mod to the kernel and/or custom ROM).

Key word is "might"...don't hold me to anything, but I tend to be more of an optimist. Hope this helps.
    Yes the Nexus 4 supports usb OTG (and you probably won't need a custom kernel for this)
    Yes you can use ESFile explorer and run everything from your hard drive

I think latest TWRP offer OTG support but I'll probably never use it since you may "brick" your phone if the flash fail and not sure if otg is perfectly stable...