Metar widget for pilots

Search This thread

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hi everyone !

I'm proud to present my 1st app on the playstore. This is a simple widget to display METAR data ( aviation weather ) right on your homescreen.
You can also check TAFs and quick access your favorite weather and navigation website.

Check it out. Hope you'll like it. Here's the link :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5GbG9yZW50Lm1ldGFyd2lkZ2V0Il0.

And now is also available the donate version with added features :

-3 widgets -> fancy one similar to the free version with extra data
->simple one with raw text
->tiny widget to save space on screen
-you can save up to 5 airports to scroll through on widget
-PIREPs access from widget
- choose your own widget background and text color/transparency
-4 different widget skins ( one of which transparent)
-5 different colors for the METARs/TAFs list and PIREPs list
-possibility to search for airports with METARs within 50NM of another airport ( in case your home airport doesn't offer METAR data for example)

here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Florent.metarwidgetdonate&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5GbG9yZW50Lm1ldGFyd2lkZ2V0ZG9uYXRlIl0.

New versions are up for both free and donate widgets with possibility to change units ( SM -> Km and inHg -> hPa)

Last edited:

Sayuuk

Apr 6, 2006
Hi everyone !

I'm proud to present my 1st app on the playstore. This is a simple widget to display METAR data ( aviation weather ) right on your homescreen.
You can also check TAFs and quick access your favorite weather and navigation website.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5GbG9yZW50Lm1ldGFyd2lkZ2V0Il0.

Hi,

first of all: thanks!
This is the first useful METAR widget that I've found.

Still, it would be even better (for me) with some improvements:
- Toggle RAW METAR (I prefer it without symbols etc), which would also allow
=> 4x1 Widget size

I'd like a 4x1 version with relatively small text (still readable on my SGS2 ;) ), with one hitbox to refresh it and another one to open the detailed version and access the settings.
(If you could scroll it, it would be even better)

Again, thanks so much for publishing this!!

Cheers
Stefan

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hi Stefan.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Funny that you posted it almost at the same time I published a donate version of the app which features an additional widget with raw data ! :p
With the donate version you're also able to add up to 5 airports to scroll through on the widget.
However the raw data widget is still a bit big in my opinion so as you suggested I'm probably gonna reduce the size of the text to make it a bit smaller.
I've updated the OP. You can take a quick look for all the extra features of the donate version.

Thanks again for downloading. Feel free to report any bug.

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
Great app, will definitely give it a shot. So far, only used AirWX, which was not updated in ages.

Kudos for giving us a free one as well. God knows flying is expensive...

As a suggestion, maybe "Closest METAR reporting station" option? For example, my home field, KLDJ, does not report METAR. But KEWR does, and it's closest. So pulling up KLDJ should give a closest station available. I know ForeFlight does this.

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Great app, will definitely give it a shot. So far, only used AirWX, which was not updated in ages.

As a suggestion, maybe "Closest METAR reporting station" option? For example, my home field, KLDJ, does not report METAR. But KEWR does, and it's closest. So pulling up KLDJ should give a closest station available. I know ForeFlight does this.

Thanks.
I'm also working on this option. I already coded it but there's still a tiny bug I have to fix. I'll do my best to do it fast but holidays are gonna be busy for me.

and I agree flying is soooo expensive !

deadpixell

Sep 22, 2010
I like it. I think you said in the donate version that raw data is available in the widget correct?

I'm also curious if the widget could potentially be able to cycle through your 5 airports selected?

Overall big fan, the other app I've been using has never had a widget and I'm glad to someone still pilot apps for android!

Sayuuk

Apr 6, 2006
Hi Stefan.

Funny that you posted it almost at the same time I published a donate version of the app which features an additional widget with raw data ! :p
With the donate version you're also able to add up to 5 airports to scroll through on the widget.
However the raw data widget is still a bit big in my opinion so as you suggested I'm probably gonna reduce the size of the text to make it a bit smaller.
I've updated the OP. You can take a quick look for all the extra features of the donate version.

Donated ;)

The 4x2 is fair enough, but as you said, you could make it smaller by working with "hitboxes", which might need some explanation for new users though.

If you add a big one in the middle that opens the detailed view (which I love btw, seeing the last 3 METARs as well is extremely useful), a small one for reloading and another small one for switching to the next airport, you should be fine and save some space.

Since it is already very nice for me (and will stay on my homescreen from now on), I'd also like to request some more color options:
- "pick your own color" (I'd like... black)
- transparency setting for the widget
Just to make it blend in with the other widgets I have.

Thanks again
Stefan

Reactions: Florendroid

grunera

Oct 28, 2012
Paris
I'll try it ASAP, thank you for this app!
Friends with Apple/IOS will move to android :fingers-crossed:

EDIT: is there any chance to have visi in Km instead of SM and baro in Mb instead of inHg??
I'm french, sorry for that :D

Last edited:

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Donated ;)

The 4x2 is fair enough, but as you said, you could make it smaller by working with "hitboxes", which might need some explanation for new users though.

If you add a big one in the middle that opens the detailed view (which I love btw, seeing the last 3 METARs as well is extremely useful), a small one for reloading and another small one for switching to the next airport, you should be fine and save some space.

Since it is already very nice for me (and will stay on my homescreen from now on), I'd also like to request some more color options:

Thanks again
Stefan

Thanks man ! I'm gonna work on your request. I might take some time to implement all that though and to make things work together but I appreciate your feedback.

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'll try it ASAP, thank you for this app!
Friends with Apple/IOS will move to android :fingers-crossed:

EDIT: is there any chance to have visi in Km instead of SM and baro in Mb instead of inHg??
I'm french, sorry for that :D

Hi Grunera. Well I'm French as well, it's just that I'm living in Canada now. I'll look into it. Funny thing is in Canada the QNH ( which we don't use) is included in the metar data we get for the widget but for the French ones ( for instance LFPG) it's not....so I'll just have to convert.

Au fait c'est encore pas la fin du monde en France ? :laugh:

grunera

Oct 28, 2012
Paris
Hi Grunera. Well I'm French as well, it's just that I'm living in Canada now. I'll look into it. Funny thing is in Canada the QNH ( which we don't use) is included in the metar data we get for the widget but for the French ones ( for instance LFPG) it's not....so I'll just have to convert.

La fin du monde c'est fini... jusqu'à la prochaine ;)

In fact in my job we only use QNH...visibility... in Mbars and meters.
(I've got the donate version, trying to contribute a little bit)

Reactions: Florendroid

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver

Thanks a lot.

new versions for both free and donate are up with possibility to choose units. So now no need to do head calculation for you :p

Merci pour ta contribution !

ridethisbike

Sep 30, 2011
Checking it out. I've been using AirReport, but it isn't very refined. Aviation Tools is quite nice as well. Scrollable widget though? THAT'S cool!

This is WAY off topic, but I'm just curious if any of you use an app for route planning with a moving map. I've found a couple free ones, but they aren't that great. Naviator looks REALLY nice and is the cheapest of the subscription based ones, but would love some feed back before I drop the dime to buy it.

Also, completely random, but FlightTools E6B has the exact same icon... lol

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver

DONE ! I've just updated the donate version which now has this feature.

Next on the to do list : add option to customize widget color/transparency.

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hi,

first of all: thanks!
This is the first useful METAR widget that I've found.

Still, it would be even better (for me) with some improvements:
- Toggle RAW METAR (I prefer it without symbols etc), which would also allow
=> 4x1 Widget size

I'd like a 4x1 version with relatively small text (still readable on my SGS2 ;) ), with one hitbox to refresh it and another one to open the detailed version and access the settings.
(If you could scroll it, it would be even better)

Again, thanks so much for publishing this!!

Cheers
Stefan

Version 1.5 of the donate version is out and now features a 3rd widget (4x2 resizable to 4x1 depending on device/launcher) !!
Hope you'll like it !

ridethisbike

Sep 30, 2011
NICE! been hoping for a 4x1!

Edit: Not quite what I was looking for actually. I like the look of the 4x2 but prefer the smallness of the 4x1. Unfortunately, it seems that the buttons to scroll through to the different airports are no longer accessible when resizing. IMHO, a dedicated widget might be in order. Maybe with transparent arrows on either side for scrolling OR make it a true scroller up and down! That would be really cool!

OR! If you want to get REALLY crazy, use transparent arrows on either side and true scoller up and down to get to the TAF/PIREP buttons! Holy crap my brain is racing with different ideas right now....

I'm no dev, just a guy with good ideas (they are to me anyways lol)

Nice work, and I look forward to seeing more progress!

Just some food for thought on this, I like the transparent theme, but on some wallpapers, it could be difficult to read. Would look good with a transparent black background rather than fully transparent.... If that makes any sense at all.

Last edited:

Florendroid

Feb 3, 2012
Vancouver
NICE! been hoping for a 4x1!

Edit: Not quite what I was looking for actually. I like the look of the 4x2 but prefer the smallness of the 4x1. Unfortunately, it seems that the buttons to scroll through to the different airports are no longer accessible when resizing. IMHO, a dedicated widget might be in order. Maybe with transparent arrows on either side for scrolling OR make it a true scroller up and down! That would be really cool!

OR! If you want to get REALLY crazy, use transparent arrows on either side and true scoller up and down to get to the TAF/PIREP buttons! Holy crap my brain is racing with different ideas right now....

I'm no dev, just a guy with good ideas (they are to me anyways lol)

Nice work, and I look forward to seeing more progress!

Just some food for thought on this, I like the transparent theme, but on some wallpapers, it could be difficult to read. Would look good with a transparent black background rather than fully transparent.... If that makes any sense at all.

Right now I'm looking into adding a color picker and alpha slider in order to choose color/transparency of widget as requested earlier.
But after that I can try to make true scrollable widget also but might not work with all launchers though. But I'll definitely give it a try.

Now what phone are you using ? Because that might explain why the buttons disappear when resizing, if you screen is small. On my S2 it works fine. Also depends on the size of the METAR text. Nothing I can really do about that until I make a fully scrollable widget:laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone !

And now is also available the donate version with added features :

-3 widgets -> fancy one similar to the free version with extra data
    ->simple one with raw text
    ->tiny widget to save space on screen
    -you can save up to 5 airports to scroll through on widget
    -PIREPs access from widget
    - choose your own widget background and text color/transparency
    -4 different widget skins ( one of which transparent)
    -5 different colors for the METARs/TAFs list and PIREPs list
    -possibility to search for airports with METARs within 50NM of another airport ( in case your home airport doesn't offer METAR data for example)

here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Florent.metarwidgetdonate&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5GbG9yZW50Lm1ldGFyd2lkZ2V0ZG9uYXRlIl0.

New versions are up for both free and donate widgets with possibility to change units ( SM -> Km and inHg -> hPa)
    Hi Stefan.

Donated ;)

Thanks again
    Stefan

The fancy one is 3x3 anyway. And the Simple is 4x2. I had to define it that way for the buttons to be visible in case the widget is added when the metar text is 2 line long or more because the size adapts to the content i.e the widget expands when lots of text.

Anyway I'm currently working on the customizable color so that everyone can pick whatever color/transparency they want. Hopefully it'll be ready by the end of the week. I managed to change the color/transparency of my widget but I still have to modify the menus and stuff to make it usable and bug free.

It's working now, but I SWEAR that when I posted that, it was showing and coming out as a 3x2 and I had to resize it. Oh well, no harm no foul right?

As I said before, I look forward to the progress of this widget. You're taking METARs to a whole new level! :good: