android 4.4 for nts?

Search This thread

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
Yeah when I used to moderate at AF we used to see this a lot, reading it shows it talking about HTC specifics such as RUU which stands for rom update utility and s-off which toggles signature verification off so you can write unsigned code to the system. Really people, the ONLY way that the os can ever be updated is if B&N released source, that's not going to happen and even if it did it still might not be enough because of e-ink specific code that might be under a NDA. :banghead:
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: helmen and ILA

helmen

Nov 7, 2011
Thanks for reply, we could not organize a petition to convince B&N to release the source?

David0226

Jul 17, 2012
Atwater, Ohio
Cool, but uh...

What do we do with this file?

:p

A tgz file is a gzipped tar file (UNIX/Linux). I know Winzip will be able to extract it, though it takes two steps. Once you extract it you will have to source code for Nook firmware v1.2. What you do with that is up to you because it is way beyond me.

~David

PS The file would be much easier to work with in Linux or you could extract it to your Window machine using cygwin.

N

NOOK!E

A tgz file is a gzipped tar file (UNIX/Linux). I know Winzip will be able to extract it, though it takes two steps. Once you extract it you will have to source code for Nook firmware v1.2. What you do with that is up to you because it is way beyond me.

~David

PS The file would be much easier to work with in Linux or you could extract it to your Window machine using cygwin.

Yeah, I know about the whole .tgz file thing. Been working in this department for a couple years. :)

But I also don't know what anyone's going to do with that source code! :D

N

NOOK!E

I don't know either. helmen asked about the source code, I knew where to find it, so I posed it. Perhaps helmen or others might be able to do something with it.

I think he wanted Barnes and Noble to post a source code for the Nook Touch to use Android 4.4.

Am I right, or did I misunderstand?

David0226

Jul 17, 2012
Atwater, Ohio
I think he wanted Barnes and Noble to post a source code for the Nook Touch to use Android 4.4.

Am I right, or did I misunderstand?

Well, perhaps I misunderstood. There certainly isn't source code to use Andriod 4.4 on the Nook as B&N never intended that. However some android developers might be able to take the most recent source code, which I posted, and figure out a way to make a new version of Android run on it. (I personally think 4.4 would be a real stretch, but if somebody could figure out the eInk driver situation, 2.3 might be a possibility.) I don't know if the source for the eInk drivers would be in the source code (I doubt it) but if they are, someone might be able to use this.

~David

N

NOOK!E

Well, perhaps I misunderstood. There certainly isn't source code to use Andriod 4.4 on the Nook as B&N never intended that. However some android developers might be able to take the most recent source code, which I posted, and figure out a way to make a new version of Android run on it. (I personally think 4.4 would be a real stretch, but if somebody could figure out the eInk driver situation, 2.3 might be a possibility.) I don't know if the source for the eInk drivers would be in the source code (I doubt it) but if they are, someone might be able to use this.

~David

Ah, I see. Well, thanks for the conversation and the source code (not that I can do much with it, though - ADB and modifying the framework-res.apk are more fun for me! :D)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah when I used to moderate at AF we used to see this a lot, reading it shows it talking about HTC specifics such as RUU which stands for rom update utility and s-off which toggles signature verification off so you can write unsigned code to the system. Really people, the ONLY way that the os can ever be updated is if B&N released source, that's not going to happen and even if it did it still might not be enough because of e-ink specific code that might be under a NDA. :banghead:
    OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    Its a spam auto generated webpage. No volume key on our devices.