[GUIDE][N00B]Step-By-Step ROOT/Update/ROM Instructions + 902 Update Info (5/18/12)

Which ROM did you install?

• Kin3tix

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Eclipse

Votes: 121 70.8%
  • Liberty

Votes: 25 14.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

xXBanXx

Jul 11, 2012
ok so i rooted but i did see any thing about flashing it to a diffrent carrier i hope i didnt over look it i would like to use this phone on tmobile anyone?

G0rk0m

Jul 29, 2012
Using Bionic Bootstrapper, I've attempted to upgrade to both Ice cream sandwich and Jelly Bean. Received several failed messages. Before I list those, here's my device info.

Droid Bionic xt875
OS 2.3.4
Sys V. 5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Device was completely reset before attempting to update. Device is rooted.

So here are the messages I've received from each of the three I tried. I'm stuck. Not sure where to go from here.

***235-Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US
------------------------------------------------------
Installing update...
assert failed" getprop("ro.product.device") == "cdma_targa"
|| getprop("ro.build.product") == "cdma_targa
E:Error in /sdcard/235-Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

***Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US
-----------------------------------------------
Installing update...
assert failed: mount("ext3", "MTD", "System", "/system")
E:Error in /sdcard/Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

***Droid_Concepts_toro-ota-2012-07-27
----------------------------------
Installing update...
"assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "toro"
|| getprop("ro.build.product") == "toro"
E:Error in /sdcard/Droid_Concepts_toro-ota-2012-07-27.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

roddhall

May 27, 2012
Hartford, WI
DROID Bionic Rooting Instructions?

The 5/18 entry by Tucknology says, "This thread is out of date and has been deprecated. Please visit the link below for up-to-date information. www-dot-droidhive-dot-com-slash-forums-slash-inde...d-links-in-op"

But that link leads to a "Sorry, We couldn't find that" page at droidhive.

Anyone know the best current instructions for a newbie to root a Droid Bionic, and where to find them?

Thanks!

Nebreos

Jul 13, 2007
The 5/18 entry by Tucknology says, "This thread is out of date and has been deprecated. Please visit the link below for up-to-date information. www-dot-droidhive-dot-com-slash-forums-slash-inde...d-links-in-op"

But that link leads to a "Sorry, We couldn't find that" page at droidhive.

Anyone know the best current instructions for a newbie to root a Droid Bionic, and where to find them?

Thanks!

Check this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1810373
Its the method I used.

laerun81

Apr 13, 2012
Existing root

Hello all. I am having an issue that I believe is related to having a left over root from my Gingerbread OS. I recently updated my Rogers (Canada) Motorola Razr XT910 from 2.3.6 to 4.0.4. Since then I have not been able to use root access. The su file etc still exist and I have no idea how to remove them. I tried using the new method posted here but it fails because the files already exist. I am thinking my su just needs to be updated? SuperSU says so when I launch it, but of course fails to do it for me because it can't get proper root access. I run OTA Rootkeeper and it says I have all root options checked off including device rooted except for "root permission". Do I somehow have to completely remove root then re-root using this method? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
Just a note that since the information in the OP is out of date and no longer being maintained, I'm unsticking this thread. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is out of date and has been deprecated.

Please visit the link below for up-to-date information.

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/ind...-2233-235-find-out-here-download-links-in-op/
    902 Update Instructions

NEW! Introduction
    The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.

Prerequisites
    • Windows
    • 901 system already installed
    • Safestrap
    • At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
    • At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)

!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!​

Instructions
    1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
    2) Download 901 -> 902 update and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
    Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
    3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
    3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
    6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
    9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
    10) Shutdown phone.
    11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
    12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
    13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
    14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
    15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
    16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
    17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
    18) Use Root Checker Basic from the market to verify you are rooted.
    19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
    20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
    25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
    26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
    A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
    B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
    C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
    D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.​
    27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
    28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
    29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.

PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
    I assume you are trying to enable the safesystem? Make sure you have sufficient free space on your internal sd card?

Well what I did was uninstall safestrap delete the safestrap folder in my sd and the safestrap folder in internal storage. Installed safestrap again and was able to enable safesystem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Forever-root was only relevant because, previously, 901 and 902 were not rootable. You had to forever-root an older version (like 893), then upgrade to 901/902. Now, the Motofail method works on any system version, so 43v3r r00t is no longer necessary.

Yeah.

And thanks for including tehRoot in the guide, I didn't expect it to get thousands of downloads.

I see you marked it deprecated, thanks!

If I have enough free time, I'm going to see if I can write up a GUI for all of this, but don't take that as a promise.
    Tuck..Great instructions. Anyone able to root using their laptop? -eye__dea

I rooted mine fine using a laptop with Windows 7 32bit Enterprise and Tehsusenoh's method.