[Q] Nexus 4 random shutdowns on 4.4.4

Search This thread

swiftyy

Apr 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

I've been having problems with my nexus 4 randomly shutting down itself. The problem is sometimes when my phone goes to sleep mode it doesn't wake up again when I push the power button. There is no shut down animation or anything, it just randomly turns off. I have to long press the power button to reboot the phone. I'm currently on PA Final 4.41 along with hellsdoctor R20 kernel, this happens on both Dalvik and ART. My brother who is on a completely stock nexus 4 which was updated to 4.4.4 via OTA has the same problem as well.

I'm thinking it might be a bug in android 4.4.4 but not sure. Anyone have a fix for this problem? Thanks so much.

stuffynet

Aug 31, 2010
Hey Guys,

I've been having problems with my nexus 4 randomly shutting down itself. The problem is sometimes when my phone goes to sleep mode it doesn't wake up again when I push the power button. There is no shut down animation or anything, it just randomly turns off. I have to long press the power button to reboot the phone. I'm currently on PA Final 4.41 along with hellsdoctor R20 kernel, this happens on both Dalvik and ART. My brother who is on a completely stock nexus 4 which was updated to 4.4.4 via OTA has the same problem as well.

I'm thinking it might be a bug in android 4.4.4 but not sure. Anyone have a fix for this problem? Thanks so much.

Turn off auto update apps in playstore. Happend to me before to. Something happends when on wifi and phone in deepsleep the playstore auto updates the apps and it doesn't respond and I have to keep pressing the power button to power it on.

I have no more shutdowns since 4.4.3. But I use stock rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: swiftyy

swiftyy

Apr 13, 2012
Turn off auto update apps in playstore. Happend to me before to. Something happends when on wifi and phone in deepsleep the playstore auto updates the apps and it doesn't respond and I have to keep pressing the power button to power it on.

I will try to turn off my auto update but I don't think it's the problem. My brother's phone which is completely stock, not rooted and has auto update off still experience the same problem as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

v3ng3anc32002

Feb 9, 2011
Same here

I got this crash today too. It just got stuck. Forced reset and it's ok. But again, this happens since 4.4.4
And i get some crazy lags on Google+ sometimes ... and this is a first. Don't know if it is the app, rom or Kernel.
I am on Paranoid Android 4.4.1, with Franco's kernel and running ART.
Also i am running ART for a long time now and never had any problems.

swiftyy

Apr 13, 2012
So I tried turning off Google Play updates and the problem persists. It usually happens around after the phone has been on for 30+ hours. Gonna try to switch back to Dalvik and see if the problems persist. Never had this happen before only after updating to 4.4.3+ ROMs have this started happening. Very stumped as to how to fix it :confused:

Jagdish84

Account currently disabled
May 1, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Right, so I think I cracked this one...
I handed in my headset in order for customer service to fix it and of course they flashed it with Googles 4.4 image(had to upgrade to 4.4.4 once I turned it on)...
After rooting it and flashing a bunch of custom roms I suffered from the same problem, it drove me nuts but I remembered it didn't happen when I upgraded from 4.4.2 so I downloaded a 4.4.2 image and flashed it(used wugs toolkit-the manual option) flashed TWRP recovery and a custom rom and I'm random shutdown free for the last few hours, hope that helps...

Last edited:

sideswipe14

Dec 12, 2011
same problem here 100% stock android 4.4.4 (using nova but can't imagine that matters) last night was the first time i picked up the phone and pressed the power button... nothing. long pressed the power button for 8-10 seconds and it booted up. now again about 15 hours later i pick up the phone press the power button and nothing. never happened before and i assume its something to do with the 4.4.4 update. i dont use auto updating in the play store and this has literally never happened before yesterday.

Jagdish84

Account currently disabled
May 1, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
same problem here 100% stock android 4.4.4 (using nova but can't imagine that matters) last night was the first time i picked up the phone and pressed the power button... nothing. long pressed the power button for 8-10 seconds and it booted up. now again about 15 hours later i pick up the phone press the power button and nothing. never happened before and i assume its something to do with the 4.4.4 update. i dont use auto updating in the play store and this has literally never happened before yesterday.

Im still random shutdown free, im not sure the solution i suggested on my earlier post will work for you but you can always try it and see...

danmen2

Jul 7, 2014
Hey Guys,

Try a 4.4.3 kernel like hellscore b47 or if you think it's a wifi issue a 4.4.2 version like b46 with the wifi fix.

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/qa-kernel-hells-core-kitkat-b45-stable-t2495373

swiftyy

Apr 13, 2012

When did you update to 4.4.4? I never experienced this on 4.4.2 either. Only started happening after I updated to 4.4.4. I think for me it happened the first night after updating.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

CCody

Apr 29, 2013
The only thing I can tell you is, that 4.4.4 causes a lot of problems recently. You are by far not the only one with this problem. I've also experienced random shutdowns like yours, bootloops, devices not turning on again...
Especially stock 4.4.4 causes problems. I could not identify the problem or bugfixes by now. It is really complicated since some devices work fine with 4.4.4 and some dont.
I only can suggest you to flash a 4.4.3 rom. That is the only work around.

androidsnyder

Jul 14, 2014
Same here.

I have had the same problem since i updated to 4.4.4... except mine shuts off only when i touch the screen (like pull the menu down, open a app, ect.) so, I went and did a factory reset, nothing changed. downloaded the Nexus Root Toolkit, did a flash stock to 4.4.4 again, nothing.. Then now I have tried another flash stock to 4.4.3 but now have manually updated to 4.4.4. I will reply again to see if this changes anything.

My Nexus 4 is completely stock, not rooted, never tampered. So I am very surprised with this issue, but I have had another issue.. Along with the shutting off issue I have a problem which so far was fixed with the first Flash stock(i think) I would use my Nexus 4 with signal for texting and using data but when i went to actually use data like to search something up it would randomly say i have "no service".. not sure why it did this, happened when I had 4 bars and didn't move..:confused:

androidsnyder

Jul 14, 2014
Still not working

After I did the Flash Stock to 4.4.3 and then manually updated to 4.4.4, my nexus still doesnt work. Dont even bother trying it.

devang98

Jun 14, 2011
I have the same issue however with a mail app, while the phone is perfect without the mail app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,