CM9/CM10 T-Mobile wifi calling?

Search This thread

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Only tike can tell, I don't miss it tho I got great reception where I live and work and I use like 150 in a month (thanks God we have unlimited SMS tho cause I use like 4000 lol)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

neoslink1

Nov 25, 2010
St. Louis
I'm sure we`'ll see it added soon enough. Cyanogen added it to a lot of cm7 supported devices. It's only a matter of time. I'm stuck on modded stock roms until it is. XP

dvno

Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
Only tike can tell, I don't miss it tho I got great reception where I live and work and I use like 150 in a month (thanks God we have unlimited SMS tho cause I use like 4000 lol)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Damn, thats the only thing keeping me from flashing either of those. I live in Chicago and get ZERO reception at my apartment, ridiculous i know.

Kalm_Traveler

Dec 8, 2011
Sorry guys but this will never happen with any open source project way to hard, trust me on this one.

except that you are mistaken. My old phone was an LG G2X and both CM7 and CM9 have WiFi Calling working on that phone's releases.

What exactly is needed to get it working? Can you just copy the APK and associated files from a stock rom and paste them into a CM9 or is there some underlying system-level programming that has to be done as well?

Ir-Kingu

Aug 21, 2007
It is not in the cm9 d2tmo 7/27 nightly.
Cm9 least brings back the 2g/3g toggle so battery life is better than stock without wifi calling in 2g only mode.

Fyi the nightlies are stable... only issues for me are with camera
If trying to obtain focus in low light situation and continually click on your subject for more then 4 seconds...then I get close/wait

Also

IMS WiFi calling is open sourced

To be clear the open source is here:

code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android

I'm a n00b so cannot put the URL on the above link (< 10 posts).

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

Dec 20, 2010
Just checking in on this to see if any of the new CM10 Builds have integrated the WiFi calling feature.

I want CM on my phone but need the feature active before I take the plunge.

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
except that you are mistaken. My old phone was an LG G2X and both CM7 and CM9 have WiFi Calling working on that phone's releases.

What exactly is needed to get it working? Can you just copy the APK and associated files from a stock rom and paste them into a CM9 or is there some underlying system-level programming that has to be done as well?

I haven't bothered to look through the sgs3 source, but on my old t-959 vibrant, wifi calling also required support compiled into the kernel (KINETEO_GAN or something like that) so it's likely that we'll need the source and means to do the same for the sgs3 before wifi calling is even a possibility on cm10.

And hey, maybe that support is already in the source, like I said, I haven't bothered to download it and check.

Cheers :)

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
WiFi calling can be set up on any ROM. Not T-Mobile WiFi calling, but free WiFi calling nonetheless. There are plenty if tutorials floating around.

And it will never be built into official CM source.

Sent from my SGH-T999

chris.arney

Oct 4, 2010
WiFi calling can be set up on any ROM. Not T-Mobile WiFi calling, but free WiFi calling nonetheless. There are plenty if tutorials floating around.

Sent from my SGH-T999

I just reflashed my old Desire Z with the official CM7.2 downloaded from RomManager, and it came with the TMo WiFi calling built in. I'm very interested in this. My office is a cellular black hole. I need to be able to make WiFi calls with my TMo number. I don't care about the other free WiFi calling apps. I hope CM will eventually support this, or someone comes out with a patch.

BTW, the CM team is amazing. I'm not complaining about them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry guys but this will never happen with any open source project way to hard, trust me on this one.

Hush, since you know nothing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
    To everybody posting "hey check out this other WiFi calling method" or some SIP type method: Please stop. Now. In fact if I could, I'd ask you to stop BEFORE you posted it.

The T-Mobile WiFi calling is MORE than just the ability to make a call to a land line: It allows you to use your existing T-Mobile number to send and receive calls and texts. The other solutions will not direct people trying to make calls to you to this number. Yes I know, there's other hoops you can jump through to redirect calling or texts or whatnot, but that's not what they want.

In addition, people saying "it's not possible" must have missed that this HAS been ported to previous ROM builds. It's just not a high priority thing as it's not a heavily used feature and is very specific to T-Mobile, so it's most likely not high on their priority list compared to making sure audio works in general.

The WiFi calling, from my understanding, is a combination of both the Android app and kernel modules to reroute everything. There might be more involved these days and there's probably lots of settings to tweak and similar code changes. But I don't think it's impossible. But PLEASE don't suggest other WiFi calling methods.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why it would never be shipped with the official ROM? The T-Mobile WiFi calling appears to be open source: http://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/ . Is there a different reason it wouldn't ship with stock CM10 or are you just guessing?
    Ok What i would love is for the two guys so confident that wifi calling won't be or can't be incorperated into a cm build, to add one or two more lines to their post backing their claim, because as it stands they are just being trolls

lol watch i can do it to.
    GUYS you need to just trust me when I say I can gaurantee each and every one of you a wifi calling app will be included in tonights nightly.... see how useless that is you two.
    yeah i'm looking for this too.. I used CM9 for a few days and it did have the tmobile wifi calling but it seemed a little sketchy to use (text worked fine, calls were hit and miss).. but now i'm using CM10 and its not even loaded on there.. I don' want to have to create a new number or only chat with other who have the program..

if anyone knows how to either use Tmobile wifi app on CM10 or know of an app that works the same.. please let me know.

Thank you. :)