How to update 16 gig AT&T SGH-I747 to UCUFNE4_4.4.2

Search This thread

enewman17

Sep 20, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
i followed all these steps to the T, after the finalization of step 6, it told me update failed, so i rebooted to try again, and im now holding a brick that wont power on again. be weary, im pretty technologically savvy, and my phone is now absolutely dead not responding to any sort of power up combination. when i plug my phone into my pc usb cable, i get that notification the recovery program gives, but no power indicators on or screen. i can get it to react with noise when pressing the power button for longer than 7 seconds, but again, screen is totally dead along with not a power indicator at all.
I'm sorry bud last thing I wanted was for anyone to brick their phone. Only thing I can do is tell you how I updated. I'm trying to work with spagman72 to figure how to get these phone fixed @ brickedmyphone.com he fixed it for me when I bricked updating to 4.3

Either way from what he told me this is not an uncommon problem lots of users in the Sprint S3 bricked trying to update. even some bricked who were stock and took the ota like normal.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

scootertrashtx

Mar 23, 2011
Gatesville, Texas
I'm sorry bud last thing I wanted was for anyone to brick their phone. Only thing I can do is tell you how I updated. I'm trying to work with spagman72 to figure how to get these phone fixed @ brickedmyphone.com he fixed it for me when I bricked updating to 4.3

Either way from what he told me this is not an uncommon problem lots of users in the Sprint S3 bricked trying to update. even some bricked who were stock and took the ota like normal.

So, this is FACTORY STOCK AT&T, with NO notifications tripped after upgrade? Does the root mentioned here trip the "custom" indicator? I just want to be sure...
I'm on factory stock AT&T 4.3 and have yet to get any notification about an OTA update for 4.4. When I check manually, it says 'current software is up to date, you may check again in 24 hours'.

enewman17

Sep 20, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
So, this is FACTORY STOCK AT&T, with NO notifications tripped after upgrade? Does the root mentioned here trip the "custom" indicator? I just want to be sure...
I'm on factory stock AT&T 4.3 and have yet to get any notification about an OTA update for 4.4. When I check manually, it says 'current software is up to date, you may check again in 24 hours'.
don't update this way if your still on Stock phone that hasn't been tripped. this method will certainly trip the warranty bit and the custom flash count. someone posted the ota, download that. then you have to copy the cfg file to a cache folder.... not sure which one. reboot and the update should start automatically.

Reactions: scootertrashtx

scootertrashtx

Mar 23, 2011
Gatesville, Texas
When you use towelroot it doesn't set the device status to custom until you reboot. After rebooting it will change to custom preventing you from checking for updates.

In "Download Mode", I've got this:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 2

I've never modded THIS phone...

Last edited:

ITGuy420

Feb 16, 2013
Grayslake, IL
Issues with Step 3

Well this may sound stupid but, my phone is not rooted, and I just installed the custom recovery. My issue is that I want to update the bootloader via Odin but it will not let me because the file is a .zip file. How can I get the bootloader files to my phone so I can flash them in custom recovery? I'm totally stuck here.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
In "Download Mode", I've got this:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 2

I've never modded THIS phone...

You're other option would be to just wait a bit. Updates are rolled out in stages, usually by region, so you'll probably get yours in a few days to a week or two from now.

Well this may sound stupid but, my phone is not rooted, and I just installed the custom recovery. My issue is that I want to update the bootloader via Odin but it will not let me because the file is a .zip file. How can I get the bootloader files to my phone so I can flash them in custom recovery? I'm totally stuck here.

Afaik you can't right now. I remember seeing someone say this wasn't working out for the Sprint firmware and was causing problems.

Reactions: scootertrashtx

shad876

Nov 28, 2013
Hey all! I am back to try this again! I have started with enewman17's modded OTA, and modified it further. If this works as intended, it will update you to 4.4.2, but will preserve root and your current recovery, and will prevent it from overwriting your recovery with the stock one when you reboot.

As with my previous attempts, if it doesn't work, it should just fail before actually doing anything at all, so it should be perfectly safe to try. Let me know how it goes!

Samsung_SGH-I747_4.4.2_OTA_update-2.zip

Do I have to flash this with TWRP recovery? For some reason I just prefer CWM

cruzad3r

Dec 6, 2010
can you dirty flash the OTA update zip if you're already on the 4.3 modem and bootloader? I think yes but i want to check.

also, those who have flashed, can you still tether without being block by ATT?

finally, what is the difference between the OTA update zip and the OTA update 2 zip?

Thanks

shad876

Nov 28, 2013
Hey all! I am back to try this again! I have started with enewman17's modded OTA, and modified it further. If this works as intended, it will update you to 4.4.2, but will preserve root and your current recovery, and will prevent it from overwriting your recovery with the stock one when you reboot.

As with my previous attempts, if it doesn't work, it should just fail before actually doing anything at all, so it should be perfectly safe to try. Let me know how it goes!

Samsung_SGH-I747_4.4.2_OTA_update-2.zip

Got errors man.. E: unknown command [install_error]

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

There's a bug with my instagram app..it won't load my feeds. Keeps on telling me "Couldn't refresh feed" and sometimes it FC. Does anyone else have this issue? Its really annoying the heck outta me!!

Last edited:

GunnerHook

Jun 24, 2014
Worked for me

Just wanted to let people know, I was on 4.3 MJB with MJB modem, rooted running TWRP 2.7.0.0 and this worked. I did a factory reset, then flashed the OTA update file and root files and rebooted, let it settle for 5 minutes, and all was good. Oh ya I was on the 4.3 bootloader as well. So far everything seems to be working fine. Scared me because I had read of a lot of people bricking theirs, but I think if you are on 4.3 (with modem and bootloaders 4.3) and wipe everything before you flash it, you should be ok.

Reactions: winosxbuntu

cruzad3r

Dec 6, 2010
did you have the hotspot mod on your phone? did it still work after the update? finally, which version did you use? The one from Dochoilday or original poster? Thanks

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
can you dirty flash the OTA update zip if you're already on the 4.3 modem and bootloader? I think yes but i want to check.

also, those who have flashed, can you still tether without being block by ATT?

finally, what is the difference between the OTA update zip and the OTA update 2 zip?

Thanks

If by dirty flash you mean without factory resetting first, yes that shouldn't be an issue. And the differences are in my post with the link for the ota-2. Should preserve root and recovery.

Got errors man.. E: unknown command [install_error]

Well this is frustrating! I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Thanks for trying though! Ill look into it.

Reactions: winosxbuntu

cruzad3r

Dec 6, 2010
ok thanks, seems like it's supposed to preserve root per your post. however since it doesn't work, i might have to re-root the phone.

GunnerHook

Jun 24, 2014
did you have the hotspot mod on your phone? did it still work after the update? finally, which version did you use? The one from Dochoilday or original poster? Thanks

I did not have the hotspot mod (honestly I RARELY use it as a hotspot). I used the one from the original poster.

With TWRP you can set it to flash multiple .zips at once so I just set it to do the OTA one first and then the root .zip file. So basically I flashed them both before rebooting.

Last edited:

shad876

Nov 28, 2013
:mad: Oh screw all of this, I'm going back to my custom rom where I have zero issues and better battery life

FtaWolf

Jun 27, 2010
Cana
I wanted to update firmware & modem but I glad that @doc & @tm talked me out of it. Seems mjb doing just fine with @KT kernel on all these new tw releases of 4.4.2..

Sent from my SGH-I747 using @tm Ne4 build.

winosxbuntu

Apr 30, 2013
LA
Just wanted to let people know, I was on 4.3 MJB with MJB modem, rooted running TWRP 2.7.0.0 and this worked. I did a factory reset, then flashed the OTA update file and root files and rebooted, let it settle for 5 minutes, and all was good. Oh ya I was on the 4.3 bootloader as well. So far everything seems to be working fine. Scared me because I had read of a lot of people bricking theirs, but I think if you are on 4.3 (with modem and bootloaders 4.3) and wipe everything before you flash it, you should be ok.

were you running on 4.3 S3Rx? and do you need TWRP, cuz am using CMW
is everything working fine, no wifi/network issues? plus does it change the modem/bootloader or keep the 4.3 MJB
a screenshot would be fine, dont get me wrong am not a newbie just trying to avoid a hard brick
thanks, finally does it keep root/custom recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The development for the AT&T I747 has been discontinued by the developer. Thank you for your support.
    WARNING: YOU WILL PROBABLY BRICK YOUR PHONE! The possibility is very real. Samsung made it difficult to update the firmware with the introduction of Knox.

This is a full firmware update!

I'm not the best at giving directions. I do expect a certain level of knowledge and skill on your end.
    I did try my best to safeguard you from bricking your phone. The install scripts will fail with an error 7 if something is wrong.
    More then likely if it fails... you are on very old firmware version. I suggest you double check your bootloader version and if it is older then the latest Odin update available on http://www.sammobile.com/devices/specs/SGH-I747/ Update to DLK first.

Or try updating the firmware incrementally. If your firmware is MJ2 or below, it is safe to flash any previous firmware without fear.
    All available recovery flashable firmware that I have https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=10522

Firmware list: oldest to newest
    • 747UCALEM
    • I747UCALG1
    • I747UCDLK3
    • I747UCDMG2
    • I747UCUEMJ2
    • ============
    • Knox firmware
    • I747UCUEMJB
    • I747UCUFNE4
    • 1747UCUFNJ1

Need a 16 gig AT&T I747 with a custom recovery.
    usb debugging turned on.
    adb and a rooted device.
    proper drivers for phone installed on your pc
    Knowledge of flashing and using Odin.

Checking the bootloader.
    If your not sure what bootloader your on.
    Code:
    adb shell
    getprop ro.bootloader
    exit
    exit <--- the second exit is to completely terminate the shell connection.
    Or in a terminal emulator on your phone.
    Code:
    su
    getprop ro.bootloader
    1. In a custom recovery flash MJB bootloaders https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319197285
    Reboot phone fully then reboot back into your custom recovery.

2. In a custom recovery flash the MJB to NE4 firmware update. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358559161

3. Wipe and install UCUFNE4 in custom recovery.
    Stock + Root: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347765735
    DeOdex + Root: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934549032

4. (Optional) Flash the stock recovery in your custom recovery. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23681161096070493
    While working with spagman72 on debricking devices we figured out no amount of ODIN will be as effective as a full wipe in the stock S3 recovery.
    A wipe in the stock S3 recovery will also fix any sdcard encryption issues as well.
    Now reboot back into the stock recovery and do a factory reset.

5. Use Odin and flash your preferred custom recovery again.
    Most of the bricks occurred because people ended up with a 4.4.2 modem on 4.3 firmware. Some also from using the ota, but that's happened with the normal unmodified one as well, so that's not enewman17's fault imo. If you follow the instructions EXACTLY, you should be fine. There is some risk, obviously, but blaming enewman17 in this case is not right.
    boss something went wrong with me i have sucessfully install 4.3 and then 4.4 but i dont install recovery.img nor root and restart it
    then the phone stuck on att logo then i reinstalled 4.3 it started but showing no emei no or bandbase then i again try to do 4.4 again and also do double wipe but no result
    and also boot loader of 4.3 is not flashing it is giving a error

Sorry but you kinda lost me there. Please explain exactly what you flashed and how. Most boot hangs just need a factory reset, and you probably flashed an old modem causing your unknown baseband and imei.
    And please try to use punctuation. It makes things hard to read and correctly understand otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    is there any way to get back on the stock recovery if you use this method to flash TWRP via ODIN to achieve root?
    I'll post a flashable stock recovery later this evening
    Hey man! Nice write up! Does this modded ota preserve root? Ive been trying to get one working all day here... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53554046

For some reason it keeps failing to flash. My first attempt was in post #47 of that thread, but TWRP gave an error that the binary was incompatible (or something to that effect).

I changed the updater-binary but it still isnt working. Did you change yours? Just curious if you had any ideas. If yours preserves root though, I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore, but still wondering why it wouldnt work. If you have any thoughts I would love to hear them!
    Thanks!