Method to install root for Honeycomb

Search This thread

oldman_58

Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Florida
Issue with Busybox

busybox-1.18.2.tar.bz2 does this downloaded directory require a build of some kind..

busybox does not exist in the directories...

TIA
:confused:

Balls_Mcafee

Feb 1, 2011
I didn't get the busybox install either. Using the 2Gb honeybunches image right now. So I followed through with the procedure up to su in adb, then ran TiBu to get busybox and it worked fine. The only thing was, at the command
ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
I got the error "link failed File exists". So I guess the way to go is ignore the busybox bit, and have TiBu install it for you at the end. mattcosta7 hooked us up with that tidbit

mcp2009

May 12, 2009
Hellam
You know you don't have to push those to /data/local/ then move them to the system folder. Just do adb remount in the beginning and push su to /system/bin/su and superuser to /system/app/ then "Symlink su and set permissions". I used titanium to install busybox. No need to push to /data/local/ and then move to system

seeddemon

Apr 15, 2010
Orlando
Here is how i got it installed
No need for Superuser, this method will give root access to any app that want it, no need allow permission. BE CAREFUL.

unzip su and place in platform-tools directory.

adb push su /data/local
adb remount
adb shell
cd /data/local
cat su > /system/bin/su
chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
exit

Install titanium backup.
Click "Problems?" -> Click "Yes,do it" to install busybox.
DONE!

j4mm3r

May 12, 2010
Well seems like this is quite old, here is the Android.mk from ChainsDD's git hub repository (https://github.com/ChainsDD/android_system_extras/tree/froyo/su):

Code:
LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)
include $(CLEAR_VARS)

LOCAL_MODULE := su
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := su.c activity.cpp

LOCAL_C_INCLUDES += external/sqlite/dist
LOCAL_SHARED_LIBRARIES := liblog libsqlite libandroid_runtime

LOCAL_MODULE_PATH := $(TARGET_OUT_OPTIONAL_EXECUTABLES)

include $(BUILD_EXECUTABLE)

So I would say that it is indeed using shared libraries....

In

http://howto.ccroms.net/android_project/build/mod/root

I would have though that the purpose of the changes, specifically;

LOCAL_FORCE_STATIC_EXECUTABLE := true

LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := libc

Were what should resolve the _mktemp not found?

RileyGrant

Jan 17, 2011
Seattle
I didn't get the busybox install either. Using the 2Gb honeybunches image right now. So I followed through with the procedure up to su in adb, then ran TiBu to get busybox and it worked fine. The only thing was, at the command
I got the error "link failed File exists". So I guess the way to go is ignore the busybox bit, and have TiBu install it for you at the end. mattcosta7 hooked us up with that tidbit

If your getting the "link failed File exists" error after the "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" command, the quick fix is to cd to /system/xbin in adb shell and type "rm /system/xbin/su" then cd back to /data/local and redo the "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" command. Change permissions using the chmod command as shown by the OP and boom, you have root. Happy hacking. :)

edit: This will only work for v2a and down. v3 does not seem to support this method of rooting. chmod errors on the last step of installing su.

edit: If running v3, use seeddemons method a few posts up, it works.

Last edited:

mmarsman

Mar 2, 2007
I tried to follow the steps that seeddemons gave (I'm using v3) but every time I reboot I am prompted to "Enter a password to decrypt storage".

No matter what I enter, nothing lets me by.

Any suggestions?

sixcoronas

Nov 27, 2009
Texas
I have root access to all of the usual apps,(titanium,setcpu,terminal,etc) however Root Explorer gives me an error when asking for root rights.

Root Access Failed- Root access could not be obtained because su failed with the following message:
su:access granted, courtesy of www.magicandroid.com
Make sure you granted root permission when requested bu Superuser. If you did, try re-rooting your devices.

Root Explorer will continue in non-root mode.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ionstorm3

Jun 5, 2010
Root on V04

Here is how i got it installed
No need for Superuser, this method will give root access to any app that want it, no need allow permission. BE CAREFUL.

unzip su and place in platform-tools directory.

adb push su /data/local
adb remount
adb shell
cd /data/local
cat su > /system/bin/su
exit

Install titanium backup.
Click "Problems?" -> Click "Yes,do it" to install busybox.
DONE!

I tried to do this method as well as the method in the OP and neither method worked. Can someone please tell me how to get root on my nook color running HoneyComb v04? I am also using a custom kernel from the eclair froyo honeycomb thread. Is the custom kernel possibly messing up the process?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

NuroSlam

Feb 27, 2010
Hell aka Phoenix
I tried to do this method as well as the method in the OP and neither method worked. Can someone please tell me how to get root on my nook color running HoneyComb v04? I am also using a custom kernel from the eclair froyo honeycomb thread. Is the custom kernel possibly messing up the process?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

did you remount /system rw?
are you getting error messages?

mattcosta7

Jan 2, 2011
I found a weird thing this morning

Root Explorer doesn't account for root status.

Su File Manager does, Ti backup works fine. Set cpu no problems.

Root Manager gives an error message. I think this is because of the "courtesy of" message.

RileyGrant

Jan 17, 2011
Seattle
No. I have no root at all.

Try my previous post's. Credit goes to Seeddemon, NuroSlam and Chhhaggerty, all I did was devise a little bit of a work around.

For me I ran into a couple problems as well on v4. For some reason it seems like su is present in /system/bin even before attempting root? However I only check ed once so I could be wrong. All I did was cd to the main directories where su would be present (/system/bin, /system/xbin and /data/local) then ran the ls command to look for the su package, if it was there I did the "rm ./su" command to delete it. Once all the su packages were removed from my directories I re-ran the commands noted before, (I think I got most or some of that from Seeddemon) and wala, I had root! If you are still unable to root after following these instructions post here or pm me with whatever errors your getting. A quick way to check whether or not it was successful is to run the command su in adb shell. You should get the message, "su granted: courtesy of magicandroidapps.com"

First remove all the files youve already installed.

adb shell
cd /system/bin
rm ./su
cd /system/xbin
rm ./su
cd /data/local
rm ./su
cd /system/app
rm ./superuser.apk

do this with any other superuser files you may have installed. (Busybox etc.)

Then run:

adb push su /data/local
adb remount
adb shell
cd /data/local
cat su > /system/bin/su
exit

Then install titanium backup, click problems at the bottom and install the latest busybox.

edit: This is regarding gaining su, not the partition. As for the second part of the question regarding partitions, what OS are you running on your computer? As for the second part of the question regarding partitions, what OS are you running on your computer?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check this thread for updated and improved information, many thanks to j4mm3r

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=953110

Credit goes to NuroSlam for coming up with a working method. This requires a functioning adb connection. Using this version of su is not as secure because it will not activate Superuser for your permission to grant root access. In fact, it can work without Superuser.apk installed at all. Hopefully we will soon have an updated su or maybe the next version of Honeycomb will be prerooted. First download the following files:

1. su http://www.magicandroidapps.com/su.zip
    2. Superuser.apk http://bit.ly/su2361ef
    3. busybox http://busybox.net/downloads/busybox-1.18.2.tar.bz2

Extract the above files using your favourite program

Using adb, install all three files to /data/local:

adb push su /data/local
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
    adb push busybox /data/local

Use adb remount to open the /system directory

adb remount

Use adb shell to move files

adb shell
    cd /data/local
    cat Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    cat su > /system/bin/su
    cat busybox /system/xbin/busybox

Symlink su and set permissions:

Typing su should now work

su
    su: access granted, courtesy of www.magicdroidapps.com

Install busybox

exit from adb shell and using a terminal application (i.e Root Explorer or Better Terminal Emulator) on the nook,

su
    busybox --install -s /system/xbin

That should do it, works with Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, LCD Density, Quick Boot and SetCPU.

Good Luck
    Credit goes to NuroSlam for coming up with a working method. This requires a functioning adb connection. First download the following files:

1. su http://www.magicandroidapps.com/su.zip
    2. Superuser.apk http://bit.ly/su2361ef
    3. busybox http://busybox.net/downloads/busybox-1.18.2.tar.bz2.

Good Luck[/B]

i might take credit for gaining root, but the rest is all you
    I hope this helps

Credit goes to NuroSlam for coming up with a working method. This requires a functioning adb connection. Using this version of su is not as secure because it will not activate Superuser for your permission to grant root access. In fact, it can work without Superuser.apk installed at all. Hopefully we will soon have an updated su or maybe the next version of Honeycomb will be prerooted.

I hope this improves the situation a bit. Here are two versions of su attached.

USE WITH CAUTION
    su_unsecure.zip contains the completely unsecured su binary which can be used instead of the one in OP's post. Root explorer works because now this one is silent.

WARNING, this is for advanced users only
    su_secure.zip contains a version which consults the file /etc/su.allow for a list of uid's for which root access is allowed. Find the uid of your favorite application (RootExplorer, Busybox etc) by looking at the output of the following command:

Code:
    # adb shell ls -l /data/data
    drwxr-x--x app_36   app_36            2011-02-12 04:00 com.google.android.apps.reader
    drwxr-x--x app_32   app_32            2011-02-09 01:26 com.google.android.gsf
    drwxr-x--x system   system            2011-02-09 01:17 com.google.android.location
    drwxr-x--x app_46   app_46            2011-02-12 04:00 com.google.android.street
    drwxr-x--x app_32   app_32            2011-02-09 00:42 com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
    drwxr-x--x app_32   app_32            2011-02-09 00:42 com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
    drwxr-x--x app_37   app_37            2011-02-12 04:00 com.google.android.youtube
    drwxr-x--x app_44   app_44            2011-02-12 04:00 com.metago.astro

So if for example if you wanted to get root access for ASTRO, then its uid is 10044 (app_44). First create the su.allow file:
    Code:
    (to mount /system in r/w)
    # adb remount

# adb shell echo 10044 >> /etc/su.allow
    # adb shell chmod 644 /etc/su.allow

(For subsequent apps)
    # adb shell echo 100XX >> /etc/su.allow
    # adb shell echo 100YY >> /etc/su.allow
    (and so on)

If the su.allow file is not present then the su binary defaults to the stock behavior i.e it only allows root access if the uid = AID_SHELL (2000).
    busybox-1.18.2.tar.bz2 does this downloaded directory require a build of some kind..

busybox does not exist in the directories...

TIA
    :confused:

dont worry about it

download ti backup. run it, click problems?. install busybox that way
    I tried this on the 2gb sd image got root. But after I rebooted root was gone.

Check your steps, especially permissions and the symlink. Works consistently on reboot for me.