[MOD/HOWTO] SMS + No contact limit + No MMS convert + Sent time [JVX/JVT/JVQ/JVP/JVH]

Search This thread

montymintypie

Oct 25, 2010
Brisbane
I tried this on my Nokia dumbphone and it limits the length to 7 messages. According to Wikipedia:
" While the standard theoretically permits up to 255 segments,
*6 to 8 segment messages are the practical maximum"

So yeah, not worth it really. I doubt 7 part messages are often sent anyway, but if you really want to, there's a field like 'maxdatalength' or similar in the xml you could try increasing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

bigdyl69

Feb 12, 2008
Denbigh
I tried this on my Nokia dumbphone and it limits the length to 7 messages. According to Wikipedia:
" While the standard theoretically permits up to 255 segments,
*6 to 8 segment messages are the practical maximum"

So yeah, not worth it really. I doubt 7 part messages are often sent anyway, but if you really want to, there's a field like 'maxdatalength' or similar in the xml you could try increasing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Well I had a look through the xml and could only find this

<int name="maxMessageSize">307200</int>

but I think that is to do with the maximum size mms message that can be sent, 300kb I think it is.

Thanks for the help anyway, I'm happy with the 7 message limit, its only when I get really long jokes sent from my friends but I doubt any are larger than that if that is the theoretical limit on most phones. Thanks again

shashank.aviator

Oct 26, 2010
New Delhi
Hi monty

Great work btw... working great on JVB.

Any change in the mms.apk in JVH? Or it is the same apk from JVB?
Is it necessary to create a mod for JHV again? Or you think the apk from JVB can work in JVH

montymintypie

Oct 25, 2010
Brisbane
Hi monty

Great work btw... working great on JVB.

Any change in the mms.apk in JVH? Or it is the same apk from JVB?
Is it necessary to create a mod for JHV again? Or you think the apk from JVB can work in JVH

I've got no idea, but it should work. If you can find me a deodexed Mms.apk from JVH, I'll just mod it so we know for sure it's compatible.:)

Reactions: shashank.aviator

shashank.aviator

Oct 26, 2010
New Delhi
I've got no idea, but it should work. If you can find me a deodexed Mms.apk from JVH, I'll just mod it so we know for sure it's compatible.:)

great! :)

Here u go...

deodexed mms.apk from ramad's JVH.

this is the best thing to happen to me in terms of sms... i usually type longer messages than 3 and the stock one always messed it for me... and handcent or Go sms dont work on my fone( i have no idea why.. just cant send messges frm those 2)

Thanks a lot mate! cheers!

Attachments

• MmsJVH.apk
    1.9 MB · Views: 36

shashank.aviator

Oct 26, 2010
New Delhi
hey monty.

I just wanted to ask u if its possible for you to change the level of vibration the messaging app uses. seems like it no longer adjusts vibration according to the haptic settings. it always vibrates at full strength when a message arrives.

Any ideas?

bigdyl69

Feb 12, 2008
Denbigh
Does anyone know the difference between the JVH and the JPY Mms.apk that allows the JVH one to display the entire message received, without having to click on 'more' to open the whole message?

I've gone back to JPY due to the battery drain bug but preferred using this Mms.apk and being able to read the whole message I had received and also while replying, makes it much easier.

Can anyone help?

Sent from the hand of God via his Galaxy S

bigdyl69

Feb 12, 2008
Denbigh
Does anyone know the difference between the JVH and the JPY Mms.apk that allows the JVH one to display the entire message received, without having to click on 'more' to open the whole message?

I've gone back to JPY due to the battery drain bug but preferred using this Mms.apk and being able to read the whole message I had received and also while replying, makes it much easier.

Can anyone help?

Sent from the hand of God via his Galaxy S

Or can someone post their twframework-res.apk file so I can have a play myself?

bigdyl69

Feb 12, 2008
Denbigh
Or can someone post their twframework-res.apk file so I can have a play myself?

I got hold of the file I needed and decompiled both the JPY and JVH Mms.apk files but I can't for the life of me find the bit of code that allows the JVH one to display the complete messages in the conversation view over the JPY Mms.apk.

Any ideas montymintypie or anyone? Sorry to post it in this thread but I get a bit compulsive when I set my mind to something :eek:

montymintypie

Oct 25, 2010
Brisbane
I got hold of the file I needed and decompiled both the JPY and JVH Mms.apk files but I can't for the life of me find the bit of code that allows the JVH one to display the complete messages in the conversation view over the JPY Mms.apk.

Any ideas montymintypie or anyone? Sorry to post it in this thread but I get a bit compulsive when I set my mind to something :eek:

I've already sent you a PM ;)

Reactions: bigdyl69

bigdyl69

Feb 12, 2008
Denbigh
I've already sent you a PM ;)

Thanks for the help, I hope you have more joy than I've had trying to find it. I have attached the Mms.apk and twframework-res.apk from JPY and also the modified Mms.apk file from ykk_five that has the 3 sms conversion limit removed and the correct time stamp issue fixed as that is the one I would prefer to use.

Happy hunting and many thanks :D

Attachments

• Mms.rar
    3 MB · Views: 24

montymintypie

Oct 25, 2010
Brisbane
hey monty.

I just wanted to ask u if its possible for you to change the level of vibration the messaging app uses. seems like it no longer adjusts vibration according to the haptic settings. it always vibrates at full strength when a message arrives.

Any ideas?

If you go into the sound settings, have a look at the text under haptic feedback.
Haptic feedback: Vibrate when pressing softkeys and on certain UI interactions
Vibration intensity: Set your touch feedback vibration intensity

So, basically, when you get a notification, it has to vibrate at full intensity every time because if it's in your pocket etc it NEEDS the full vibration strength. The haptic feedback setting is for on screen interaction, for example when using an onscreen keyboard. So that's why it always vibrates at full strength when you get a message.:)

shashank.aviator

Oct 26, 2010
New Delhi
If you go into the sound settings, have a look at the text under haptic feedback.

So, basically, when you get a notification, it has to vibrate at full intensity every time because if it's in your pocket etc it NEEDS the full vibration strength. The haptic feedback setting is for on screen interaction, for example when using an onscreen keyboard. So that's why it always vibrates at full strength when you get a message.:)

Thanks monty for the explanation.

I did know about this logic for full vibration. But i remember in 2.1 and 2.2 i was able to reduce the vibration through setting the haptic vibration. But from 2.2.1 onwards it vibrates at full strength. Just thought if it was possible to have it that way again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE!
    07/12 JVX added
    14/7: JVT version added
    14/7: JVQ CWM flashable versions for odexed and deodexed! Massive props to to $omator for this, who obviously knows a lot more about creating CWM zips than I do. Go to his post to download, and thank him while you're at it!
    30/6: New JVQ version, thanks again bigdyl69! Get it here.
    13/6: JVP version now exists, get it here thanks to bigdyl69!
    21/5: Added Froyo JSD and Ginger JVO versions.
    10/5: Added JVH version

Ok, this does what it says on the tin. It's a mod of the JVX messaging app that adds 3 often requested features:

• No autoconvert to MMS after 3 messages
    • Sending to unlimited contacts
    • Sent time instead of received time. If you turn off your phone, messages you get whilst it's off will have the right time!

To install:
    Simply copy the included apk depending on your system version to /system/app/Mms.apk, and make a backup first just in case.;)

Notes:
    Your ROM MUST be deodexed!
    If it doesn't work, clear the cache, the Dalvik cache, and also clear data for Messaging under Settings->Applications->Manage Applications (it won't delete your messages).
    If the times are off by several hours download SMS Time Fix and set it the the correct number of hours to fix the timestamps.
    The JVB MMS apk is actually from Darky's 10 RC6, but I don't think it's different from the default.

If I get enough requests for:
    Other versions (e.g. JVK, etc)
    CWM flashable versions

I'll make them.

Hope this is useful to people!

Massive props to ykk_five for his original mod! I couldn't have made this without his help.

HOWTO

Do you theme your Mms app? Got a custom ROM going on and want to do this yourself? Well here's how!

1. Download Apk Manager from here.
    2. Get your Mms.apk from /system/app/Mms.apk
    3. Get your twframework-res.apk from /system/framework
    4. Open up Apk Manager and choose option 22
    5. Select Mms.apk as your project
    6. Select option 10 (decompile with dependencies)
    7. When it asks you for your dependency, drag and drop twframework-res.apk into the window and press enter
    8. When that's done, go into apk_manager/projects/Mms.apk
    9. Under /res/xml open up mms_config.xml
    10. Go to: <int name="recipientLimit">10</int> change this to -1
    11. Go to <int name="smsToMmsTextThreshold">4</int> Change this to 100
    12. Now open up /smali/com/android/mms/transaction/SmsReceiverService.smali and open it in any text editor.
    13. Search for 'time'. There will be one entry at approximately line 523
    14. Replace this with: invoke-virtual {p1}, Landroid/telephony/SmsMessage;->getTimestampMillis()J
    15. There will be another at approximately line 2270.
    16. Replace this with: invoke-virtual {v0}, Landroid/telephony/gsm/CbMessage;->getTimestampMillis()J
    17. Save and close them all and go back to apk manager, option 11 'compile'
    18. When you're done, it'll tell you about a 'keep' folder. Go delete mms_config.xml, and in the keep folder also delete resources.arsc and classes.dex
    19. Copy your new Mms.apk to your phone! Don't forget to back up your old one in case you make a mistake.:)

If you get errors, check the log for mentions of 9.png errors. If they are there, fix your 9 patch files! Use google for that, I'm not explaining how to do this.;)

If you can't be bothered to do this or don't know how, send me a PM! I've made more than 8 custom Mms.apks for people so far. :)
    Just in case anyone wants it here is the Mms.apk modded for JVP. This has the message limit, no mms convert and sent time fixes applied. Hope its useful for someone, I'm using it currently and it seems to work great
    In case anyone wants it, here is the modded deodexed Mms.apk for the newest JVQ release
    THERE YOU GO THIS TIME I PACKED THE MODED FILES NOT STOCK ONES =)

SMS + No contact limit + No MMS convert + Sent time by >> montymintypie <<
    No autoconvert to MMS after 3 messages
    Sending to unlimited contacts (it's actually 100, but should be more than enough)
    Sent time instead of received time. If you turn off your phone, messages you get whilst it's off will have the right time!
    JVQ ODEX --- > download

JVQ DEODEXED --- > download

JVQ ODEX RESTORE --- > download

JVQ DEODEXED RESTORE --- > download
    Hi, I'm attaching my Mms.apk hoping to get some magic worked on it... I'd like all fixes applied please (contact limit/MMS convert/sent time)...

I'm on the latest CM7 nightly which says it's build number GRJ22 (if one of the apk's previously posted would work, please let me know!)

Ok, yours seems similar to zerkai, which suggests he is on CyanogenMod too... Yours actually has all these fixes applied - go to Mms, then open preferences, you should be able to click a single option to apply the fix.